Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (Impressions of DN-2000, Altone200, Fidue A83 added p. 945)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (Impressions of DN-2000, Altone200, Fidue A83 added p. 945) - Page 855

post #12811 of 14193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

 

Unfortunately "nail" tends to mean different things to different people. For me a neutral IEM is best for classical so I would go for an Ety ER4S. If you like a warmer sound there are other options, like the StageDiver SD-2, but I think the ER4S is great.

 

That's where I was headed...again. Thanks for the confirmation. 

post #12812 of 14193

ljokerl,

 

Thanks to your review of Noble 4S, I finally got my first Custom IEM, Noble 4C.

 

It took me a while to insert and remove them at first, but I am getting used to it. My first few minutes with it reminded me so much about Hifiman IEMs. Though they did not wow me at first, they gradually grew on me over the course of a three hour long listening session. It fits my sound preferences really, really well. I think 4C is one of the most balanced IEMs I have heard so far, may be the best. Excellent clarity, healthy (non-anemic, non-excessive) bass quantity, clear mid range with good note weight, smooth treble, spacious presentation, good separation and layering - all this along with such a smooth sound, it has everything I wanted in my first CIEM. More than the positives, I am relieved that it does not have any negatives that bother me. It has a delicate combination of several factors that make me like them. Thanks for leading me to this happy experience :)


Edited by esanthosh - 2/2/14 at 2:47am
post #12813 of 14193
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by esanthosh View Post
 

ljokerl,

 

Thanks to your review of Noble 4S, I finally got my first Custom IEM, Noble 4C.

 

It took me a while to insert and remove them at first, but I am getting used to it. My first few minutes with it reminded me so much about Hifiman IEMs. Though they did not wow me at first, they gradually grew on me over the course of a three hour long listening session. It fits my sound preferences really, really well. I think 4C is one of the most balanced IEMs I have heard so far, may be the best. Excellent clarity, healthy (non-anemic, non-excessive) bass quantity, clear mid range with good note weight, smooth treble, spacious presentation, good separation and layering - all this along with such a smooth sound, it has everything I wanted in my first CIEM. More than the positives, I am relieved that it does not have any negatives that bother me. It has a delicate combination of several factors that make me like them. Thanks for leading me to this happy experience :)

 

Great to hear :beerchug:. Sounds like the acrylic version is as capable as the silicone one, which is good to hear. It's still pricy, but hopefully money well spent!

 

P.S. would really be curious if the universal version is equally capable :p.

post #12814 of 14193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

 

Great to hear :beerchug:. Sounds like the acrylic version is as capable as the silicone one, which is good to hear. It's still pricy, but hopefully money well spent!

 

P.S. would really be curious if the universal version is equally capable :p.

Well, it's hard to say whether the universal version is as capable as the 4S without hearing the 4S but it's really good. I'm really enjoying it and have no problem picking it over the er4s or any of the twfk based iems I've heard (b2, ck10, gr01).

post #12815 of 14193
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post
 

Well, it's hard to say whether the universal version is as capable as the 4S without hearing the 4S but it's really good. I'm really enjoying it and have no problem picking it over the er4s or any of the twfk based iems I've heard (b2, ck10, gr01).

 

That sounds good, IIRC you do quite like the ER4.

 

It looks like Noble kept the housings fairly small, too, which is a big plus with these types of universalized customs. 

post #12816 of 14193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

 

That sounds good, IIRC you do quite like the ER4.

 

It looks like Noble kept the housings fairly small, too, which is a big plus with these types of universalized customs. 

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the N4, especially given how I jumped the gun and bought it before it was released purely based on your 4S review and hoping it's at least similar to it in performance. As far as the new design, I have no issues with the comfort but it is a bit on the thick side in comparison to 4ai, for instance, but it is more like a proper universal now with the screwed on faceplate and without the consistency issues of the handmade nozzles.

post #12817 of 14193

Hi ljokerl,

 

I currently own the SE530 IEM and the cable is starting to crack. I've had it for almost 5 years now, so fine, time to replace it. I'm however looking for a more affordable IEM now, since I recently bought a good pair of headphones which I use for my more critical listening sessions. These IEMs will be mostly for commuting and exercising and otherwise casual use. So I'm looking in the price range of $100 - $200.

 

For one, I'm looking for IEMs that isolate really well, as I like to be able to isolate myself fully from my surroundings when listening on a train / airplane. In terms of sound signature, when comparing to the SE530 I'm looking for a bit more treble extension, as the SE530 is quite rolled off. I like the presentation of the mids, but I could also live with mids that were slightly less forward and thick. And in terms of bass, I'm not a basshead, but I do like it when an IEM produces a decent amount of bass and can reach low into the sub-bass region, while still being pretty detailed. Definitely not looking for anything bloated. And in terms of soundstage, I'd definitely like a much wider soundstage than the SE530, with good layering and depth as well.

 

I realize I probably can't have everything given the price range I'm looking at, but do you have any recommendations? I looked at your IEM list on your site but I'm really not sure what to pick.

post #12818 of 14193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

 

In that price range, purely for sound quality and with a mic, I like the Philips Fidelio S1 better than the A161P.

 

Compared to the RE-400, the S1 has better bass depth and more bass overall. Its upper midrange and treble are more energetic whereas the RE-400 is smoother and more laid-back up top with a warmer overall tone. The S1 also has a wider soundstage than the RE-400.

Hi ljokerl,

 

I ordered S1 and listened to it for couple of days but I'm returning it. Unfortunately they didn't sound better than A161p to my ear. They have too much bass. It's OK for guitar, rock and metal music but jazz trios sound rather disappointing. I mean double bass and drums are all over piano notes for instance. Plus I felt smooth lower end made highs sound harsh at higher volume, trumpet especially sounds unpleasant.

While sound stage does appear to be wider I felt instrument separation wasn't as good as in A161p. Plus A161p gives you so much more detail.

Maybe I'm on BA side in BA vs DD battle? I don't know.

 

Anyway, I'm back listening on A161p and I hope they will survive few more months but I still wander, where do I go when they die? The have the best sound I came across but poor build quality in comparison to other sets at that price point.

Should I try etys HF2 next, or some dual driver BA? What would you consider an upgrade from A161p, with similar characteristic, preferably with mic, but I guess I might have to give up on mic at the end.

 

i appreciate your response!

post #12819 of 14193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chude Mleko View Post
 

Hi ljokerl,

 

I ordered S1 and listened to it for couple of days but I'm returning it. Unfortunately they didn't sound better than A161p to my ear. They have too much bass. It's OK for guitar, rock and metal music but jazz trios sound rather disappointing. I mean double bass and drums are all over piano notes for instance. Plus I felt smooth lower end made highs sound harsh at higher volume, trumpet especially sounds unpleasant.

While sound stage does appear to be wider I felt instrument separation wasn't as good as in A161p. Plus A161p gives you so much more detail.

Maybe I'm on BA side in BA vs DD battle? I don't know.

 

Anyway, I'm back listening on A161p and I hope they will survive few more months but I still wander, where do I go when they die? The have the best sound I came across but poor build quality in comparison to other sets at that price point.

Should I try etys HF2 next, or some dual driver BA? What would you consider an upgrade from A161p, with similar characteristic, preferably with mic, but I guess I might have to give up on mic at the end.

 

i appreciate your response!

 

    hf2 will kill your bass , ruler flat bass , if you can do with that , go for hf2 any day , or you can opt for re-400 , rha ma-750 , in BA's you can go for gr-01 , ba-200 . if you are not looking for bass nor high , just clarity and separation , go for re-400 .

post #12820 of 14193

ljokerl:

apologies if you've answered this already, but on your 1-10 quality scale, where would you put the philips fidelio s1/s2?

many thanks,

lj

post #12821 of 14193
Chide Mleko, if you like balanced jazz trio sound I think you're going to like the Ety Hf2. If you prefer slightly better high frequency extension then go for Ety ER4PT instead. If you like a little fun sound signature with excellent detail and better bass extension but not bloated then go for Phonak PFE232. Jazz trio also sound very good with the PFE232 too and I find them to be very vers atile actually. It produces very nice sound with whatever I throw at it but if you prefer a more forward mid and a flatter sound signature then go for the Ety ER4PT instead. The PFE232 is going on sale at Amazon around $390 which is excellent value. It used to be priced at $600.
Edited by Francisk - 2/3/14 at 4:09pm
post #12822 of 14193
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post
 

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the N4, especially given how I jumped the gun and bought it before it was released purely based on your 4S review and hoping it's at least similar to it in performance. As far as the new design, I have no issues with the comfort but it is a bit on the thick side in comparison to 4ai, for instance, but it is more like a proper universal now with the screwed on faceplate and without the consistency issues of the handmade nozzles.

 

That's good to hear. Thick is better than extra bits sticking into the side of your ear. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 

Hi ljokerl,

 

I currently own the SE530 IEM and the cable is starting to crack. I've had it for almost 5 years now, so fine, time to replace it. I'm however looking for a more affordable IEM now, since I recently bought a good pair of headphones which I use for my more critical listening sessions. These IEMs will be mostly for commuting and exercising and otherwise casual use. So I'm looking in the price range of $100 - $200.

 

For one, I'm looking for IEMs that isolate really well, as I like to be able to isolate myself fully from my surroundings when listening on a train / airplane. In terms of sound signature, when comparing to the SE530 I'm looking for a bit more treble extension, as the SE530 is quite rolled off. I like the presentation of the mids, but I could also live with mids that were slightly less forward and thick. And in terms of bass, I'm not a basshead, but I do like it when an IEM produces a decent amount of bass and can reach low into the sub-bass region, while still being pretty detailed. Definitely not looking for anything bloated. And in terms of soundstage, I'd definitely like a much wider soundstage than the SE530, with good layering and depth as well.

 

I realize I probably can't have everything given the price range I'm looking at, but do you have any recommendations? I looked at your IEM list on your site but I'm really not sure what to pick.

 

The HiFiMan RE-400 might be all you need. It has smooth but pretty well-extended treble, not lack of midrange presence and punchy, some bass roll-off but not really worse than the SE530. It doesn't have a particularly wide soundstage but like you said, can't really have everything.

 

The VSonic GR07 does a little better in bass depth and has a wider soundstage but its treble might sound a bit sibilant coming from the SE530 and it doesn't have the greatest layering. Its isolation is also not quite as good as that of the RE-400 IMO. 

 

The Creative In-Ear 3 is something I've always thought sounds like a Shure product but IMO it doesn't improve on the SE530 in any way.

 

As a super-low-budget option you can also consider the SteelSeries Flux In-Ear. Again good isolation (though you may have to get some aftermarket eartips), excellent bass presence, and good end to end extension overall.

 

Lastly, the Ety HF5 is the absolute best thing you can get for isolation and has good treble extension and a very balanced overall sound. Not as much bass presence as the SE530, though, and I don't think it has a soundstaging advantage over the SE530.

 

P.S you might want to contact Shure - they have pretty good customer service and might cut you a discount on the 535.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chude Mleko View Post
 

Hi ljokerl,

 

I ordered S1 and listened to it for couple of days but I'm returning it. Unfortunately they didn't sound better than A161p to my ear. They have too much bass. It's OK for guitar, rock and metal music but jazz trios sound rather disappointing. I mean double bass and drums are all over piano notes for instance. Plus I felt smooth lower end made highs sound harsh at higher volume, trumpet especially sounds unpleasant.

While sound stage does appear to be wider I felt instrument separation wasn't as good as in A161p. Plus A161p gives you so much more detail.

Maybe I'm on BA side in BA vs DD battle? I don't know.

 

Anyway, I'm back listening on A161p and I hope they will survive few more months but I still wander, where do I go when they die? The have the best sound I came across but poor build quality in comparison to other sets at that price point.

Should I try etys HF2 next, or some dual driver BA? What would you consider an upgrade from A161p, with similar characteristic, preferably with mic, but I guess I might have to give up on mic at the end.

 

i appreciate your response!

 

The A161P uses a Knowles ED driver. Since you like it so much maybe just stick with it - the Ety HF2 and ER4 both use variations of it. There are a couple of hybrid earphones that use it as well but I doubt you will like those. Dual BAs sound different and if you found the S1 harsh you'll want to be very careful venturing into that territory. The VSonic GR01 is the safest option among those IMO but it lacks a mic, is pricy, and isn't quite as durable as the cheaper VC1000 in my experience.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomisjohnson View Post
 

ljokerl:

apologies if you've answered this already, but on your 1-10 quality scale, where would you put the philips fidelio s1/s2?

many thanks,

lj


8.9-ish. I like both of them better than the MA750, for example, but not as much as the GR07.


Edited by ljokerl - 2/3/14 at 8:43pm
post #12823 of 14193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

The HiFiMan RE-400 might be all you need. It has smooth but pretty well-extended treble, not lack of midrange presence and punchy, some bass roll-off but not really worse than the SE530. It doesn't have a particularly wide soundstage but like you said, can't really have everything.

 

The VSonic GR07 does a little better in bass depth and has a wider soundstage but its treble might sound a bit sibilant coming from the SE530 and it doesn't have the greatest layering. Its isolation is also not quite as good as that of the RE-400 IMO. 

 

The Creative In-Ear 3 is something I've always thought sounds like a Shure product but IMO it doesn't improve on the SE530 in any way.

 

As a super-low-budget option you can also consider the SteelSeries Flux In-Ear. Again good isolation (though you may have to get some aftermarket eartips), excellent bass presence, and good end to end extension overall.

 

Lastly, the Ety HF5 is the absolute best thing you can get for isolation and has good treble extension and a very balanced overall sound. Not as much bass presence as the SE530, though, and I don't think it has a soundstaging advantage over the SE530.

 

P.S you might want to contact Shure - they have pretty good customer service and might cut you a discount on the 535.

 

 

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered the RE-400. I did contact Shure for a trade-in, but they said I would first have to send in the SE530 and they couldn't tell me beforehand if they would just fix it or then offer me to buy a new SE535 at a discounted price; in other words, too much hassle for me. And the discounted SE535 probably still couldn't beat the RE-400 in terms of price.

 

Edit: I also ordered the Yamaha EPH-100, will see which one I like more. Perhaps I might like the Yammie, to contrast my full-size Sony 7520 cans.


Edited by starfly - 2/4/14 at 6:45am
post #12824 of 14193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

 

The A161P uses a Knowles ED driver. Since you like it so much maybe just stick with it - the Ety HF2 and ER4 both use variations of it. There are a couple of hybrid earphones that use it as well but I doubt you will like those. Dual BAs sound different and if you found the S1 harsh you'll want to be very careful venturing into that territory. The VSonic GR01 is the safest option among those IMO but it lacks a mic, is pricy, and isn't quite as durable as the cheaper VC1000 in my experience.

Thanks ljokerl,

 

I think I'll try next one of these then: VC1000, Ety HF2 or ER-4PT (thanks Francisk). The latter is probably a bit too expensive for me. Have you compared HF2 and VC1000 before?

post #12825 of 14193

what iems do you reccomend for classical music (any price range) ?   thanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (Impressions of DN-2000, Altone200, Fidue A83 added p. 945)