Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 314 IEMs compared (Olasonic Flat-4 Nami added 04/13/14 p. 894)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 314 IEMs compared (Olasonic Flat-4 Nami added 04/13/14 p. 894) - Page 835

post #12511 of 13449
I fully agree with you. This just so damn hard, due to limited offer here in Sweden i cant get ny hands on neither the Yamaha with mic or Klipsch x10 to a afforsqble price. For some reason Amazon had a nice offer on the x10 but shipping cost was set at 100 pounds lol. Now it seems that the Steelseries Flux Pro which arent on the same level as the rest of the listed options is my last choice. The Fidelio seem way to big and too weak of a bassline since im going from S4.
post #12512 of 13449
^ I see a X10i for €140 on Amazon Germany. They should ship to Sweden at reasonable cost.
post #12513 of 13449
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

^ I see a X10i for €140 on Amazon Germany. They should ship to Sweden at reasonable cost.

Its a bit over my budget, i was hoping to get away with a set around 110 euros or less in total including shipping :/

post #12514 of 13449
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano86 View Post

Thx for your reply. Would 320kbps be minimum for higher end earphones?

The Yamaha EPH-100 dont have a headset which is why i didint list them :/

320kps is more than enough for listening when you are out and around. Flac or any other lossless formats are only essential for critical listenings. Keep in mind that hi-end headphones really benefit from lossless formats and show their potential other than that 320kbps mp3 is the way to go.


Edited by ozkan - 12/31/13 at 6:18am
post #12515 of 13449

Audiophile talk of lossless files always amuses me a bit, because people were listening to lossless audio long before the advent of DAPs in the form of CDs anyway... Never mind.

post #12516 of 13449
It's quite natural that the evolution of music as a medium is as it has been. The technical development now allows people to store lossless again without bringing 100+ CD's which aren't technically lossless. If I were to be a bit philosophical, the music loses something as soon as it reaches your flawed human ears even in a live performance. There's always a limiting factor.

But there's to my knowledge also a difference in quality between similar bitrates and techniques. So to my ears, 320 ogg vorbis (Spotify extreme) sounds good enough for me under most circumstances. I don't own any high end system so I'm more biased towards availability and legal issues compared to price and performance. I need some real concentration to pick out the difference between a CD quality flac and a 320 ogg vorbis and I'd like to say that some tracks are 50/50, some 75/25 or so. I don't think I'll ever be 100% certain about the difference in an A/B test. And I think my ears are pretty good and sensitive. Then there's the placebo effect.
post #12517 of 13449

I was wondering if joker or someone would be able to help?

I asked in the basshead forum but to no avail as yet.

 

"Hey what would people recommend between the Wooduo 2 and the AH-C300?

I have read both have plenty of bass and sub bass but which maintains detail and has a wider soundstage?

Are they similar or is one just pure bass and no high end sparkle?

 

Been listening to a lot more electronica and hip-hop and reggae and finding that without amping, my current iems just ain't up to it really.

 

I dont want to sacrifice clarity, detail and so on, I just want better lows, particularly sub.

 

Thanks"

 

 

Cheers

post #12518 of 13449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano86 View Post

Thx for your reply. Would 320kbps be minimum for higher end earphones?

The Yamaha EPH-100 dont have a headset which is why i didint list them :/

 

I agree with Pastapipo, for me 192kbps is the minimum. 320 is really rather good, especially for hip-hop, and I don't mind 320kbps files at all, especially on the go.

 

Also, I missed the mic requirement. In that case you might also want to consider the new JVC FRD80. It's the mic/remote version of the FXD80. Seems to be pretty cheap on ebay at the moment.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano86 View Post

I fully agree with you. This just so damn hard, due to limited offer here in Sweden i cant get ny hands on neither the Yamaha with mic or Klipsch x10 to a afforsqble price. For some reason Amazon had a nice offer on the x10 but shipping cost was set at 100 pounds lol. Now it seems that the Steelseries Flux Pro which arent on the same level as the rest of the listed options is my last choice. The Fidelio seem way to big and too weak of a bassline since im going from S4.

 

The Fidelios have more bass than the Flux Pro. It's the regular (non-pro) Flux that's the bassier SteelSeries earphones. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post
 

Audiophile talk of lossless files always amuses me a bit, because people were listening to lossless audio long before the advent of DAPs in the form of CDs anyway... Never mind.

 

I think it's a natural progression. Highly compressed mp3s were a concession caused by expensive digital storage and low internet bandwidths/speeds, even in the mainstream. Now we are course-correcting back to less compressed audio as low-bitrate files are becoming less common all around.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupblup View Post
 

I was wondering if joker or someone would be able to help?

I asked in the basshead forum but to no avail as yet.

 

"Hey what would people recommend between the Wooduo 2 and the AH-C300?

I have read both have plenty of bass and sub bass but which maintains detail and has a wider soundstage?

Are they similar or is one just pure bass and no high end sparkle?

 

Been listening to a lot more electronica and hip-hop and reggae and finding that without amping, my current iems just ain't up to it really.

 

I dont want to sacrifice clarity, detail and so on, I just want better lows, particularly sub.

 

Thanks"

 

 

Cheers

 

Sorry, as far as I know I've never even been in the same room as an AH-C300. 

post #12519 of 13449

Joker,

 

Do you (or anyone else here) happen to know of a good aftermarket tip to use on the id America Spark? Comply doesn't list this brand/model in their Tip-Finder menu.

 

The nozzles on these IEs are larger than a lot of others, but I am not really too impressed with the stock tips which came with these phones.

 

I wonder if there might be an appreciation thread here at Head-Fi for this earphone. The SQ sure does seem to be very impressive.

 

 

Thanks.

post #12520 of 13449
Comply tips can be stretched with a pencil or a chopstick. The 500-series stretched should fit even the widest nozzles. Auvio tips are wide diameter and are usually good in bringing out treble while keeping an open sound with a good bass response (my own experience) can be a bit harsh.
post #12521 of 13449

Cool, I'll look into that. Thanks.

post #12522 of 13449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

 

With those IEMs you should get a pretty good idea of what you're looking at with just the stock tips.

 

 

I can't provide any feedback on most of the sets you're considering. The only ones I have heard are the 1964-V3, Westone UM3X, and the Cardas. I thought the Cardas was lacking in clarity for the price and can't recommend it at all. It's still sitting in my desk. The 1964-V3 has borderline basshead bass and doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for you, especially coming from an SE210. In that price range the Alclair Reference would be the custom I'd recommend but I still don't think it's a great fit for you. The SE535 would work better for you than all of those, although I haven't heard the SE535 SE.

 

From your requirements I would also suggest the StageDiver SD-2, which is not unlike the SE535 except that I didn't have as many nitpicks with its treble. It doesn't really have enhanced bass, but no less than the SE535. The mids are not forward, but not recessed either. Treble isn't bright and doesn't have too much sparkle, but again it's better than the SE535 I heard in that respect. Other than these reservations it ticks all of your boxes. 

 

 

Sorry for taking a while to get back to you, been away without a laptop for the last few days. Thanks for the response & recommendations! Really appreciate it mate.

 

I've had a look into the SD-2 & it does seem rather intriguing based on your review as well as others - certainly a strong contender next to the SE535 SE. It is the priciest option though, so I'm determined to find out how it measures up against the SE535 SE & some of the others before I make a final decision. How would you say it compares to the W4/W4R, as that was an option that I was initially considering? Following some more extensive research, I decided that the bass might not be quite fast & responsive enough for what I'm looking for straight out of the box, along with a lot of comments about it being somewhat 'flat' in a sense & was led to believe I would need an amp to really appreciate it's unique signature.

 

Also, how would you rate those the SD-2 & W4 against higher end custom models such as the 1964EARS V6 & Unique Melody Miracle purely in terms of sound quality since you've tried them as well?

 

Cheers

post #12523 of 13449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post


Hope you don't mind my jumping in here. Reading your explanation of what you're looking for I would recommend you give the Earsonics SM64 serious consideration. Joker rated them highly and you can read the various comments I've made by doing a search on my user name.

-Eric

 

Hey man no worries, thanks for the input! Really appreciate any & all info, advice & recommendations that I can get at the moment.

 

I did consider the SM3 V2 intially, but heard that the SM64 isn't necessarily a marked improvement for some. But it definitely gets plenty of good reviews & your comments only prove as further reinforcement of it's abilities. I may possibly have overlooked it a little.

 

Have you by any chance tried out or owned the Shure SE535 SE, InEar StageDiver SD-2, Westone W4 or 1964EARS Q such that you could give me a comparison of the SM64 to any of those?

 

Cheers

post #12524 of 13449
Thread Starter 

I guess we're among the last to reach the new year here in California.

 

Just want to wish everything a healthy, happy, and prosperous 2014 filled with great music! 

post #12525 of 13449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

I guess we're among the last to reach the new year here in California.

 

Just want to wish everything a healthy, happy, and prosperous 2014 filled with great music! 


Happy 2014 to you to |joker|!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 314 IEMs compared (Olasonic Flat-4 Nami added 04/13/14 p. 894)