Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 314 IEMs compared (Olasonic Flat-4 Nami added 04/13/14 p. 894)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 314 IEMs compared (Olasonic Flat-4 Nami added 04/13/14 p. 894) - Page 734

post #10996 of 13438
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post  Would you happen to know the driver used inside the klipsch x10i by any chance please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post  One of the Klipsch KG drivers. I was under the impression Sonion manufactured them but I can't remember where I got that idea.

 

Yes, Klipsch always orders from Sonion. They've never worked with Knowles.

 

Outwardly, it's code-named the KG926, but that doesn't mean anything to anyone. In terms of form factor and electroacoustic properties (FR, impedance, THD pattern, etc.), it's most similar to the 26A005/8, but it may not be identical. If anything the KG926 is the progenitor to the 26A005/8, as it came to market earlier.

 

However, the Sleek Audio SA6/CT6 are confirmed to utilize the 26A005/8, and with some tweaks, the SA6 can be tuned to measure very similarly to the X10, with matching first and second resonance points, suggesting that the two share at least a similar driver family.

post #10997 of 13438
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post


Just a small query, Joker. When you tried the S2/S1, did you notice slight sibilance and maybe a little sloppiness on overall bass? I just tried a brand new pair and that was what I noticed next to my well-burnt in pair. Never noticed it as I threw them into burn-in the instant they got here and left them for 3 days before actually listening to them.

 

The units I have weren't brand new when I got them. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcsa View Post

Hi joker,
 
I'm just curious about your habit , do you use sometimes  the EQ on your DAP?  . As we know from your profile, one of your player is J3, which have a tons of preset EQs (IMO pretty good ones) .
 
I know the music isn't the same with EQ, but I'm also pretty sure that we'll never hear the same sound what the engineers wanted to 'tell'  us.
Portable or home systems the same .
I'm also sure that we have to enjoy the MUSIC comes from IEMs, HPs, speakers ... 
 
BTW are there any thread about this?
Thanks

 

I rarely use EQ - mostly when I'm trying to figure why a certain headphone's sound is bothering me. The Cowon has nice presets but the adjustable EQ could be better. I use a parametric EQ plug-in on my PC instead.

 

As for why I don't attempt to use the EQ for reviews - introducing the EQ as another variable would add more complexity to reviews than I wish to have at this time.

 

Yes, there are definitely threads dealing specifically with EQ.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

 

Yes, Klipsch always orders from Sonion. They've never worked with Knowles.

 

Outwardly, it's code-named the KG926, but that doesn't mean anything to anyone. In terms of form factor and electroacoustic properties (FR, impedance, THD pattern, etc.), it's most similar to the 26A005/8, but it may not be identical. If anything the KG926 is the progenitor to the 26A005/8, as it came to market earlier.

 

However, the Sleek Audio SA6/CT6 are confirmed to utilize the 26A005/8, and with some tweaks, the SA6 can be tuned to measure very similarly to the X10, with matching first and second resonance points, suggesting that the two share at least a similar driver family.


Thanks, good stuff.

post #10998 of 13438
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post

Interesting that joker and ClieOs have both given the H-100 very favourable reviews, considering how much criticism it drew from some quarters. 

 

It's a shame that a couple of member's negative reviews (more like an inquisition) gave this model a bad reputation.  The H-100 is quite good (specially if you like sub-bass).

post #10999 of 13438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

One of the Klipsch KG drivers. I was under the impression Sonion manufactured them but I can't remember where I got that idea.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

 

Yes, Klipsch always orders from Sonion. They've never worked with Knowles.

 

Outwardly, it's code-named the KG926, but that doesn't mean anything to anyone. In terms of form factor and electroacoustic properties (FR, impedance, THD pattern, etc.), it's most similar to the 26A005/8, but it may not be identical. If anything the KG926 is the progenitor to the 26A005/8, as it came to market earlier.

 

However, the Sleek Audio SA6/CT6 are confirmed to utilize the 26A005/8, and with some tweaks, the SA6 can be tuned to measure very similarly to the X10, with matching first and second resonance points, suggesting that the two share at least a similar driver family.

Thanks to both of you!

 

Reason I ask is because I sent a klipsch x10i into be reshelled aaages ago.  Had fit issues, but the sound wasn't what I remembered and it seems to be for good reason! 

post #11000 of 13438

One other quick question (it is all related I promise!) is do either of you (tom or joker) know what drivers the westone 2 uses please?

post #11001 of 13438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

The units I have weren't brand new when I got them. 

 

 

I rarely use EQ - mostly when I'm trying to figure why a certain headphone's sound is bothering me. The Cowon has nice presets but the adjustable EQ could be better. I use a parametric EQ plug-in on my PC instead.

 

 

May I know which player use on your PC? And no more personal questions wink.gif. BTW all questions in this great thread  are moreles personal - yours empirical opinions about IEMs. Thanks and Respect Man!

post #11002 of 13438
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post  Reason I ask is because I sent a klipsch x10i into be reshelled aaages ago.  Had fit issues, but the sound wasn't what I remembered and it seems to be for good reason! 

 

The X10 has some tuning done to the housing by Klipsch as well. Recently, a DIYer-turned-MOT, a Japanese chap who goes by the handle of KumitateK, remolded an X10 with the anterior housing intact, and it still yielded differences. Remolding is always going to alter the sound, whether it be due to the possibility of insertion depth, tip-related resonance differences, venting differences, or other small factors, a custom remold is almost never going to be exactly the same as the original. Read his blog entry (or just look at the pictures) for more information: http://diy-ciem.blogspot.jp/2013/07/klipsch-x10.html

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post

One other quick question (it is all related I promise!) is do either of you (tom or joker) know what drivers the westone 2 uses please?

 

GQ-30783... this one I'm quite (~98%) sure of. In the future, for driver information, instead of bothering the good Joker (kidding), refer to the chart.

post #11003 of 13438
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcsa View Post

May I know which player use on your PC? And no more personal questions wink.gif. BTW all questions in this great thread  are moreles personal - yours empirical opinions about IEMs. Thanks and Respect Man!

 

I use mediamonkey, mostly for its library management features. It natively supports winamp plugins including the parametric EQ that I use.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

GQ-30783... this one I'm quite (~98%) sure of. In the future, for driver information, instead of bothering the good Joker (kidding), refer to the chart.

 

Added the chart thread to the "useful links" section at the front of this thread.

post #11004 of 13438
Oh yeah.. and I'm happy to see you liked the H-100. I heard it just the way you did (and was, apparently, one of the ten people on earth who liked it). When I said so way back when I had it, everyone thought I was crazy. Sweet, sweet validation.. so this is what victory tastes like.. LOL.
post #11005 of 13438
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

Oh yeah.. and I'm happy to see you liked the H-100. I heard it just the way you did (and was, apparently, one of the ten people on earth who liked it). When I said so way back when I had it, everyone thought I was crazy. Sweet, sweet validation.. so this is what victory tastes like.. LOL.


Boooo! Hisss!!!

As the resident h100 hater, I am obliged to disparage your reputation. Joker, I no longer consider you my sensei.
post #11006 of 13438
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

Oh yeah.. and I'm happy to see you liked the H-100. I heard it just the way you did (and was, apparently, one of the ten people on earth who liked it). When I said so way back when I had it, everyone thought I was crazy. Sweet, sweet validation.. so this is what victory tastes like.. LOL.

 

I remember...H20 came within a hair's breadth of being lynched.    It's amazing how a couple of guys with high post counts (by shouting loud enough) can change the collective opinion on how good (flavors of the month) or bad (like in the K550 and H-100 threads) a model is. 

post #11007 of 13438
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post


Boooo! Hisss!!!

As the resident h100 hater, I am obliged to disparage your reputation. Joker, I no longer consider you my sensei.

 

 

You might hate it, but the H-100 is actually a good IEM with unique qualities (great sub-bass and crystal clear highs). 

post #11008 of 13438
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Boooo! Hisss!!!

As the resident h100 hater, I am obliged to disparage your reputation. Joker, I no longer consider you my sensei.

 

 

Originally Posted by elvergun View Post

 

I remember...H20 came within a hair's breadth of being lynched.    It's amazing how a couple of guys with high post counts (by shouting loud enough) can change the collective opinion on how good (flavors of the month) or bad (like in the K550 and H-100 threads) a model is. 

 

Good thing I'm a lover.. not a shouter.

 

Originally Posted by elvergun View Post

 

You might hate it, but the H-100 is actually a good IEM with unique qualities (great sub-bass and crystal clear highs). 

 

I agree.. it's a unique sounding phone.. the sig doesn't have "mass appeal".. and even for us nerdy audiophiles, it's a bit odd at first.  To my ears, the mids weren't recessed as much as they were thin.. and it was kind of cool (literally and figuratively).

post #11009 of 13438

I would love to hear the H-100 too,  given that they have some similarity with the FX40

post #11010 of 13438

Hey Joker,

 

How does the LG Quadbeat HSS-F420 compare to the Vsonic GR02 BE in terms of its V-shaped signature and the general sound quality?

 

You say that the Sony MH1C's treble "is very inoffensive without sacrificing overall refinement." However, you label the Sony MH1C's sound signature as Warm and Smooth; would the treble of the MH1C be less prominent than that of the V-Shaped Quadbeat or R02 BE?

 

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I buy the right pair of IEM so I don't have to go through the hassle of returning them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 314 IEMs compared (Olasonic Flat-4 Nami added 04/13/14 p. 894)