I received my pair yesterday and I'm hearing the same thing nearly all of you have mentioned about the bass. Too thick in the beginning but slowly opening up over time. I do, however, enjoy them and feel that they were worth the purchase. I purchased them as a pair of closed headphones for home recording. I'll most likely end up switching between the M50 & my HD600 depending on what genre and if I'm doing critical listening or not.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio Technica ATHM50 Pro Dj Headphones - White Coiled Cabletagged by cristina, 12/9/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 6/29/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by cristina, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Which ATH M50 to get ? Last post on 12/26/14 at 1:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- V-MODA Crossfade LP2 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50? Can't Decide help please!! Last post on 8/17/12 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [Request] Different between Audio-Technica ATHM50S and Audio-Technica ATHM50 and other Advice on... Last post on 7/15/12 at 9:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- A Beautiful Take on Beautiful Sound - A review of the Audio Technica ATH-M50WH Last post on 7/14/14 at 2:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beginner looking for amp/DAC advice Last post on 2/13/15 at 11:38am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
First off, I want to thank Faheem and Singnature Acoustics for this O-16 Live unit and apologize for the humongous delay (it’s been very long) of this review. Packaging and...
These were actually my first pair of mixing headphones. I can definitely say they worked for me at the time, but this is also the time I did not acknowledge the importance of EQ & compression. I...
In my search for a good pair of earbuds, these where my next try. Better than the previous maxell I bought, but definitely the search must keep going. My ratings are; Bass 2/5,...
The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor appreciation thread - Page 9
Gear mentioned in this thread:
So I bought a FiiO E7 to hopefully get a little more power out of the M50s from my Zune. I bought them at the same time so I couldn't try it out first. I found out the sound is pretty good. My HD555's aren't all that great with just the Zune and I thought that they might need to be amped. I bought the E7, it's here, I do not want to open it unless I get some serious thoughts on why I should. I already opened it (couldn't help it) but do I have any reason to keep it? I would use it as a DAC occasionally because Thinkpad soundcards are crap.
So what should I do, keep the amp or sell it because it won't work the way I would want it to?
Edited by ctlaurin - 7/2/10 at 11:40pm
The 840 pads do subtly change the sound...IMHO.
And in some ways...not for the better.
But, you might like the changes better than I did.
Edited by daltonlanny - 7/3/10 at 8:29am
I didn't notice any major change to the sound, it did seem to increase the soundstage a little. They are much more comfortable to me, they are fairly cheap too so if you don't like it you're not out too much.
They all look the same and the 240 are super cheap. I have heard the 440 and 840 pads are different, so it might just be the stuffing. So cheap you could buy a pair of each.
Edited by Slaughter - 7/3/10 at 9:19am
^^ Heh, heh... Thank you Sir!
EDIT: Having just looked, they are all (the Shures) the exact same photo. All three. So whether or not they are the same or different is anyone's guess.
Edited by shane55 - 7/3/10 at 9:26am
- The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor appreciation thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Would Logitech Z623 work well on stx sound card? 16 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 51 seconds ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 5 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 5 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 7 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 8 minutes ago
- › Dubai Head-Fi Meet 8th May 2015 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by Dickymint
- › Headphones EB-BL Jelleez Ear Buds Black by LuigiSound
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2