Oh Yeah, I also think they sound great with my cowan J3 as well.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio Technica ATHM50 Pro Dj Headphones - White Coiled Cabletagged by cristina, 12/9/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 6/29/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by cristina, 12/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- V-MODA Crossfade LP2 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50? Can't Decide help please!! Last post on 8/17/12 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [Request] Different between Audio-Technica ATHM50S and Audio-Technica ATHM50 and other Advice on... Last post on 7/15/12 at 9:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 3/4/14 at 8:16pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ATH M50X vs Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro vs Shure SRH840 vs Beyerdynamic DT-770 Last post on 2/25/14 at 12:50pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need a 250$ headphones instad of my ATH M50 Last post on 2/22/14 at 8:48pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor appreciation thread - Page 75
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1112 of 13873/2/12 at 10:18am
I love my Audio Technica ATH-M50s's. They are the cousin to my big three, (650, 880(600), K701) <--- those big three!! The M50 is my go to portable rig listening HP. Plus my wife loves the sound signature. I don't forsee ever getting rid of this cousin. I am however wondering how the 840 compares? Is it worth the purchase? I am trying to focus on source, cable, tube, and tweek upgardes, darn it! Anyone on how the 840 compares to M50?post #1113 of 13873/2/12 at 11:31ampost #1114 of 13873/2/12 at 11:48am
Yeah there are many threads.... I was looking more from the M50 dedicated listeners standpoint directly. I have been arguing with myself about the purchase, but as mentioned trying to focus on other area upgrades.post #1115 of 13873/2/12 at 12:00pm
M50 - SRH840
I've posted this several times.
Had both, kept the M50.
The reason had more to do with the horribly uncomfortable (painful) fit and awkward ergonomics of the 840.
Sound was good, M50 is more 'fun', 840 more flat - neutral.post #1116 of 13873/4/12 at 1:45amQuote:Originally Posted by Zub-a-Roo
I love my Audio Technica ATH-M50s's. They are the cousin to my big three, (650, 880(600), K701) <--- those big three!! The M50 is my go to portable rig listening HP. Plus my wife loves the sound signature. I don't forsee ever getting rid of this cousin. I am however wondering how the 840 compares? Is it worth the purchase? I am trying to focus on source, cable, tube, and tweek upgardes, darn it! Anyone on how the 840 compares to M50?
My 840's should be here within the next couple of days, I will most definitely be posting my thoughts comparing the m50'spost #1117 of 13873/4/12 at 2:10am
im going to sell my srh840's too, i prefer the more lively response of the m50's.
plus having the two closed headphones is a little redundant for me, since one nearly always get neglected.
will sell the headphones to get an open headphonepost #1118 of 13873/4/12 at 2:52amThank you all for your responses. Hearing your responses I do feel I need to audition the 840 in the future. However right now I have my cross hairs on a soils state amp (burson 160). Since this is the m50 appreciation thread.... M50 best can at the $100 (street price) mark I have heard yet!
Thanks againpost #1119 of 13873/10/12 at 11:39am
Well just got my 840's. About an 2 hours in so far.
They most definitely have a warmer signature than my M50's. Bass response is modest and highs dont feel as metallic and sharp. A less fatiguing sound by far and most definitely less dynamic. The mids on the 840s are outrageous and in my opinion the M50's retain a much flatter frequency response.
I will say that the Shures have great build quality, I really like the detachable cable, the earpads are more comfortable than the m50's and they offer better isolation.
BUT IN TERMS OF SOUND THE M50's to me are much superior.
M50's sound clearer, more precise, excellent bass, and a flatter response. Music just sounds so much more dynamic on the M50's
840's are just to high on the mids for me....
I would agree on all the points about the 840s in this thread.
Edited by peck1234 - 3/10/12 at 12:51pmpost #1120 of 13874/25/12 at 10:52pmpost #1121 of 13875/2/12 at 2:10pmSo I just finished doing a little bit of modding to my M50s. Long story short, I didn't like how they sounded with the 840 pads and the stock pads were incredibly uncomfortable. So I ordered a set of 940 pads and decided to use some leftover Paxmate I had from my T50RPs and placed it around the driver. The comfort is unbelievably good now. My ears don't touch the drivers anymore. And the 940 pads, although they don't isolate as good as the 840, feel great.
I haven't listened to these for an extended period of time, but I'm loving the sound so far.
I tried to make a perfect paxmate circle, but after trying that on my T50RPs I just didn't have the patience anymore.
This is how they look after applying paxmate/silverstone.
And this is with the pads on.
I don't have much experience describing sound, but I feel they are smoother now all the way through. Bass is still punchy, but doesn't feel bloated and the highs sparkle, but are not as sibilant as they were with the 840 pads (I can only hear sibilance on extremely sibilant songs). I also found instrument separation a bit better, I always felt the 840 pads made them sound a bit congested at times. The mids also feel slightly more present. Overall, a very pleasing sound. I still prefer my T50RPs, but I could listen to these for a full day without problem.
Edited by OmarCCX - 5/2/12 at 2:15pmpost #1122 of 13875/13/12 at 9:06pm
I love my M50's have had them for over a month now and listen to them daily. I have the silver and blue LE and sometimes it seems the left is louder then the right other times it seems balanced. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just crazy?post #1123 of 13875/13/12 at 11:44pm
I got my ATH-M50 back on April 5th. These truly are the best headphones I've ever listened to in person. Clearly the best headphones you can get before you really get into the more "high class" cans. I bought them from Guitar Center where I A/B-ed them against the Beyerdynamics DT-770 80 ohm. In my opinion, the M50 has better sound quality (clearer highs and more natural bass response) and is 50 bucks cheaper! I do like the round design of the earcups and velour ear pads of the Beyerdynamics better though.Quote:
Strangest thing I just discovered last night, I had this same problem, but I decided to spin one of the earpads around and discovered that it may have been upside down. Now the sound is perfect out of both ears!
Edited by Trance88 - 5/13/12 at 11:53pmpost #1124 of 13875/14/12 at 9:14pmQuote:Strangest thing I just discovered last night, I had this same problem, but I decided to spin one of the earpads around and discovered that it may have been upside down. Now the sound is perfect out of both ears!
Well, they both look right side up to me, I have read a review on amazon and one on youtube of the 50th anniversary and they both said theirs had more sound from one ear. I guess if it is i'm use to it now because I don't notice it anymore.post #1125 of 13875/14/12 at 11:13pm
After leaving my M-50s out to stretch over a bookshelf speaker for a few nights they've really loosened up on the clamp!
I thought mine had developed the crackling issue today but it turned out to be my old iPod mini on the fritz :(
Such a shame as it's the nicest sounding iPod I've heard, apart from the old 60g 5th gen that my gf has now, should have kept it!
- The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor appreciation thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 54 seconds ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 56 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: June 28th, 2013) 58 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › Question about tips and earhole damage 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here! 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › Clip Zip 'Sport' 16Gb ? 3 minutes ago
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude