Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Speaking to someone and they mouth my words..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speaking to someone and they mouth my words..

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
This may be a weird observation but I can't seem to come up with anything on google..

When I am speaking to certain people face to face, mostly my mom and an older woman in my office they mouth the words I am speaking as I am saying them, It can be really distracting!
I've called my mom out on it and she thought it was funny but claimed to be unaware of it and denied doing it.

Anyone else ever experience this?
post #2 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodduska View Post
This may be a weird observation but I can't seem to come up with anything on google..

When I am speaking to certain people face to face, mostly my mom and an older woman in my office they mouth the words I am speaking as I am saying them, It can be really distracting!
I've called my mom out on it and and she thought it was funny but claimed to be unaware of it and denied doing it.

Anyone else ever experience this?
I haven't but that does sound funny. Like something out of a Seinfeld show...
post #3 of 37
didnt get u....do they try to mock u?
post #4 of 37
For some people it's easier to process information when they are the ones saying it. So it could be they are trying to process what you are saying in the manner in which best suits them. They could also be embarrassed about this hence why they denied it. If you want, do what I do when coworkers do this, is to focus on one point, like their ear, when talking to them so you don't look at their mouth.
post #5 of 37
Thread Starter 
Yeah, it's almost as if they might be unconsciously trying to read my lips by mimicking the movements themselves.. and I'm not even a "close talker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysony View Post
For some people it's easier to process information when they are the ones saying it. So it could be they are trying to process what you are saying in the manner in which best suits them. They could also be embarrassed about this hence why they denied it. If you want, do what I do when coworkers do this, is to focus on one point, like their ear, when talking to them so you don't look at their mouth.
This makes a lot of sense, thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 View Post
didnt get u....do they try to mock u?
Nah, it seems like more of a subconscious thing.
post #6 of 37
My wife does it all the time. I take it as a compliment.
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodduska View Post
When I am speaking ...they mouth the words I am speaking as I am saying them, It can be really distracting!
Anyone else ever experience this?
At least you know they're paying attention to you.

Heck, Robert Plant used mouth what Jimmy Page was playing.
.
post #8 of 37
Could it have any connection to hearing difficulties?
It may be to help discern small differences in pronunciation between similar sounding words. I know one of my girlfriends watches people's lips, especially in noisy environments, and sometimes appears to be mouthing parts for this reason.

Perhaps Mom should have a hearing exam.
post #9 of 37
I've known two people who did this. Both were schizophrenic.
post #10 of 37
Nope, never experienced that before, but I bet they don't realize that they are doing that
post #11 of 37
This makes me want to ask another question: what part of the face do you look at when you have a conversation with someone. I found that I usually look at someone's mouth rather than the eyes. Also, it's very distracting when somebody tries to look at both of your eyes, constantly switching between them.
post #12 of 37
That's kind of creepy, in my opinion. I never met somebody who does that...yet.
post #13 of 37
I've never even heard of people doing this until I read it. They probably aren't doing it on purpose or know that they are doing it.
post #14 of 37
I think it is just a way some people have when they are intently listening to you, as Alysony says thats probably the reason why.

I also don't think its a coincidence that its only women you have noticed do it. They are after all the master communicators so it would make sense they are the people to take that further effort at wanting to understand what you are saying etc.
post #15 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzjudz View Post
This makes me want to ask another question: what part of the face do you look at when you have a conversation with someone. I found that I usually look at someone's mouth rather than the eyes. Also, it's very distracting when somebody tries to look at both of your eyes, constantly switching between them.
I usually try to maintain eye contact but I'll occasionally look at mouths when people are speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceCans View Post
Could it have any connection to hearing difficulties?
It may be to help discern small differences in pronunciation between similar sounding words. I know one of my girlfriends watches people's lips, especially in noisy environments, and sometimes appears to be mouthing parts for this reason.

Perhaps Mom should have a hearing exam.
It might, the woman who does it at work is VERY old and definitely has some degree of hearing loss.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Speaking to someone and they mouth my words..