Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 66

post #976 of 5846

For most circuits using the 6080, you can use any of the following: 6AS7, 6AS7G, 6AS7GA, 5998, 5998, 7236, 2399, 6N13, 6N13P, and 6520.  Of course, check with the owner's manual or manufacturer first before dropping these tubes in.  Of these, I'd say the most "colorless" would be the Sylvania 7236.  On the opposite side, the RCA 6AS7G is very colored and warm.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post

@lextek, I don't see an issue coming from this, just make sure the connections stay the same.
Also, I was going to ask this on the Bottlehead forums but havent finished registration. I have a 6080 power tube in right now, is it easily replaceable with a 6SN7? I've read a couple things about needing to rewire, but others saying its a drop and go. If anyone can help, that would be awesome =)


 

post #977 of 5846

From the Bottlehead forum  Tubes for the Crack

 

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,663.0.html

post #978 of 5846

Ordered the basic Crack and a couple of cheap tubes, a Tong Sol 12ua7 and a RCA 6as7g Black Plate just to get a feel of the sound, I've only heard a GE and a Raytheon lately (last 35 years or so!) and their 5670's, but don't each company have a house sound so to speak?

 

I guess I have a month or so of waiting so at least I can read up on everything Bottlehead Crack.

 

I have two receivers, a Pioneer and a new Yamaha. My DT990's sound great through both of them and I have been hesitant in buying the Crack, thinking it can't sound 2 to 300 dollars better, so why waste my money, but I had to see if I was missing anything so I pulled the trigger.  I sure hope it's better than the receivers.

post #979 of 5846

I run my Dt990s through my Yamaha RX-V467 from time to time.  It sounds pretty darn good.  But, they reach their full potential on my tube amp.  You're gonna love your new tubes.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercintn View Post

 

I have two receivers, a Pioneer and a new Yamaha. My DT990's sound great through both of them and I have been hesitant in buying the Crack, thinking it can't sound 2 to 300 dollars better, so why waste my money, but I had to see if I was missing anything so I pulled the trigger.  I sure hope it's better than the receivers.



 

 

post #980 of 5846
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

I run my Dt990s through my Yamaha RX-V467 from time to time.  It sounds pretty darn good.  But, they reach their full potential on my tube amp.  You're gonna love your new tubes.
 



 

 



Second this. I haven't run them thru a receiver, but the sound upgrade from my NFB-12's amp is a lot higher than I could have imagined.

post #981 of 5846

Finished the other day, not too crazy but here's a couple pics :)

 

 

20120106191102870.jpg

 

 

 

20120105235300850.jpg
 
post #982 of 5846

Ah you're killing me.  I ordered mine on 12/6.   Still waiting.  Have to get by with a non-tube sounding Valhalla.......

Wish I had my old MG Head


Edited by lextek - 1/7/12 at 2:14pm
post #983 of 5846

All I can say is put your stain/coat on your finished base BEFORE you finish the circuit! I'm doing mine after (waiting for a poly coat to dry right now), and it sucks having to not listen to it!

 

I almost dropped for the Valhalla, but I couldn't resist Crack, and now I'm hooked!

post #984 of 5846

When I get my Crack.  I'm planning on relocating the headphone jack to the front plate and the RCAs and IEC to the rear.  I've had time to think about it.

post #985 of 5846
Quote:
Originally Posted by lextek View Post

Ah you're killing me.  I ordered mine on 12/6.   Still waiting.  Have to get by with a non-tube sounding Valhalla.......

Wish I had my old MG Head



Tell me 'bout it, I ordered mine on 12/7. The wait is killing me.

 

I ordered the speedball upgrade separate, about a week. I hope they ship together. :S

post #986 of 5846

Looks pretty awesome.  Congrats on it!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post

Finished the other day, not too crazy but here's a couple pics :)

 

 

20120106191102870.jpg

 

 

 

20120105235300850.jpg
 


 

post #987 of 5846

Thank you :)

 

 

I also thought about putting my jacks like that lextek, it makes more sense, but for some reason I've grown fond of everything coming out of the top.

 

 

Also found out today that the humming noise wasn't coming from my tubes, but actually my RCA jacks. When they are unplugged, completely silent. But when I plug the jacks in, even if the DAC isn't turned on, I get that static-y noise.

 

Would my jacks not be properly grounded, or perhaps a crappy solder into the jacks?

post #988 of 5846

Could be a ground loop.  Try running your DAC on a different circuit than the amp.  A different outlet on the same circuit would still cause a hum.  If you discover running the power from a different circuit fixes the problem, then it's a done deal.  If running the cords is a pain, you can get a $17 ground loop isolator from Radio Shack.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post


Also found out today that the humming noise wasn't coming from my tubes, but actually my RCA jacks. When they are unplugged, completely silent. But when I plug the jacks in, even if the DAC isn't turned on, I get that static-y noise.

 

Would my jacks not be properly grounded, or perhaps a crappy solder into the jacks?



 

post #989 of 5846
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

Could be a ground loop.  Try running your DAC on a different circuit than the amp.  A different outlet on the same circuit would still cause a hum.  If you discover running the power from a different circuit fixes the problem, then it's a done deal.  If running the cords is a pain, you can get a $17 ground loop isolator from Radio Shack.
 



 


Thanks for the help! Tried it, didn't work. Just to see, I plugged my crappy turntable's RCA jacks into the amp, dead silent. Then I plugged the RCA plugs from my DAC in, but unconnected. Still no noise. But connecting them, noise. I'm going to find some other RCA plugs to see if my cables are the problem, if not, then I'm going to try resoldering.

 

post #990 of 5846

This is a question for those that painted the power transformer on their Crack. Did you use special paint or apply any primer? The reason I ask is I have some Rust-Oleum primer and flat black lying around. The directions say not to use on surfaces that exceed 200 degrees Fahrenheit or on galvanized metal. I'm not sure if the Crack's power transformer gets that hot. I'm assuming no, but wanted to ask before starting the paint process.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL