or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 359

post #5371 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoatsArt View Post

Rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated. Thank you for caring and commenting. I am taking a break for a while to heal from my DIY and tube addiction.

Does anyone want to buy my Crack? It has:

1. Speedball
2. 240V transformer
3. Obbligato Gold output capacitors (94 uF per channel)
4. Switch (3 way) to allow the use of 12AU7, 12BH7 & E80CC tubes whilst maintaining the stock operating point of the power tube.
5. Tung Sol 7236 & RCA clear top tubes

About $700 value. $500 including shipping within Australia.

 

Yes people who are looking to do themselves in do not have need of money... just saying. :wink_face:

post #5372 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post
 

That finish work is truly astounding.  But I do have to say I am surprised you got that much for an electronically stock crack.  You did very well!!!!

 

Looks trump functionality every time. Read: Apple.  

People trust their eyes all too much. It screws them over a lot of the time too. 

 

Personally, I listen to audio in a dark room most of the time.. with my eyes closed, so - I don't care much what it looks like. 

 

I find it funny in the last few posts we've seen a tweaked crack and tubes go for cheap which is worth a small fortune. A stock unit that has looks go for more.  Tells you there is money to be made in looks.

post #5373 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFlight View Post

Yes people who are looking to do themselves in do not have need of money... just saying. wink_face.gif

I have no need of money, but my family does. If I kill myself my wife will have two children to support. I think your comment is in poor taste.
post #5374 of 7977
Let's talk crack
post #5375 of 7977

Hi Nathan I would be interested to hear what you thought of those Obbligato Golds? I am guessing you paralleled up two of the 47uf each side.

 

Cheers

post #5376 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoatsArt View Post


I have no need of money, but my family does. If I kill myself my wife will have two children to support. I think your comment is in poor taste.

 

Sorry, no poor taste intended. It was an observation stated to calm the masses.  Not intended as an attack on your character in any sense - in fact, just the opposite.  It was a generalization and sorry if you took offense to it. Although still, I stand my my generalizations, as generally speaking, they are generally right.

 

I've no idea what is triggering your sales and sorry to see you leave the Crack club. Hopefully with time you'll be back.


Edited by NightFlight - 7/2/14 at 9:37am
post #5377 of 7977

I left the crack club for a brief period. Then realized the error of my ways. The crack/650 are now a permanent part of my collection. 

post #5378 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

I left the crack club for a brief period. Then realized the error of my ways. The crack/650 are now a permanent part of my collection. 

 

The Crack and HD6X0 combo really is something special.  I feel it punches far above its price point on so many levels; sound, comfort, etc.  But most importantly it is just such an ENJOYABLE listen.

 

Welcome back :wink_face:

post #5379 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

I left the crack club for a brief period. Then realized the error of my ways. The crack/650 are now a permanent part of my collection. 

Matt:

 

Welcome back. How's the HD 800 on your Crack. Mine sounds sublime with constant use of the combo. I recently switched the stock cable with the Red cable from WyWires (just yesterday). I've been advised to break it in for 20 hours before hearing better SQ. I don't want to start the all-familiar cable debate so let's see.

post #5380 of 7977
Hi Matt, I'd love to know how HD650 on Crack vs T1 on Crack or even HD800 on Crack as well. I just ordered the Crack/speedball and still wait for them arrived. This waiting is killing me -(. Welcome back to "crack addict" club and I'm very happy to become a part of this addiction by now.

I didn't choose the "crack life", the crack life chose me.
post #5381 of 7977

Crack + T1 is a great combo with excellent details, imaging, space, layering (a real "3D" sound relative to my past amps) but I found that treble was a bit overwhelming for me. 

 

I corrected this by getting a natural sounding and bassy Neko Audio D100 Mk2 DAC and just as importantly, getting the T1 re-cabled with Whiplash V3 Hybrid cable. 

 

I have A-Bed my system with the stock cable vs the re-cabled T1 and the re-cabled T1 completes an end-game setup for me whereas the stock cable T1 was too rough around the edges and would make me reconsider the entire setup. Bear in mind though that my friend's stock T1 is quite new (probably only 100+ hours on it) and may not be broken in properly. 

 

My TH900 collects dust while I use my T1 & Crack daily. Call me addicted! :) 

 

I have tried my friend's HD800 and while it is good I find that it lacks the same thump as the T1. It is a bit more spacious sounding though. The other thing I've found is that the HD800 on the Crack is borderline too much treble. Getting a good cable (my friend got a Norne Draug 8 cable) does address this issue though. 

 

I did try the HD800 on Loquah's Mainline once though and the treble was silky smooth. No treble issue whatsoever. 

post #5382 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsq17 View Post
 

Crack + T1 is a great combo with excellent details, imaging, space, layering (a real "3D" sound relative to my past amps) but I found that treble was a bit overwhelming for me. 

 

I corrected this by getting a natural sounding and bassy Neko Audio D100 Mk2 DAC and just as importantly, getting the T1 re-cabled with Whiplash V3 Hybrid cable. 

 

I have A-Bed my system with the stock cable vs the re-cabled T1 and the re-cabled T1 completes an end-game setup for me whereas the stock cable T1 was too rough around the edges and would make me reconsider the entire setup. Bear in mind though that my friend's stock T1 is quite new (probably only 100+ hours on it) and may not be broken in properly. 

 

My TH900 collects dust while I use my T1 & Crack daily. Call me addicted! :) 

 

I have tried my friend's HD800 and while it is good I find that it lacks the same thump as the T1. It is a bit more spacious sounding though. The other thing I've found is that the HD800 on the Crack is borderline too much treble. Getting a good cable (my friend got a Norne Draug 8 cable) does address this issue though. 

 

I did try the HD800 on Loquah's Mainline once though and the treble was silky smooth. No treble issue whatsoever. 

 

I was just going to comment on the Mainline taking care of that last bit of smoothness - its treble is more refined than the Crack.

 

We still have to test my secret foam mod on your T1s, Andy.

post #5383 of 7977

With my friend's stock T1, we can have a 3 way shootout. Stock, Stock + Mod, Cabled. If the difference seems worthwhile we should mod mine too and test! :)

post #5384 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminhuypham View Post

Hi Matt, I'd love to know how HD650 on Crack vs T1 on Crack or even HD800 on Crack as well. I just ordered the Crack/speedball and still wait for them arrived. This waiting is killing me -(. Welcome back to "crack addict" club and I'm very happy to become a part of this addiction by now.

I didn't choose the "crack life", the crack life chose me.

 

On a stock build the HD650 and T1's have I would say perhaps have  more in common than you might think and while the T1's are noticeably a little more refined and detailed but there can be a edge to the highs with some sibilance the 650's have the edge on the mid range and a more even all round performance.  Later when I purchased the T1 I initially preferred the HD650 finding the sibilance distracting  and annoying on the T1 for the types of music I listen to.

 

It was soon after this I started down the Crack upgrade path and the difference it has made is really quiet noticeable both the HD650 and T1 scaled well with some simple modification which were basically just swapping one part for another it didn't take to long to realise the the scaling of the HD650's had plateaued while the T1 continued to benefit further and while the changes in the sonics with the 650s was subtle the differences in the T1's performance was much more noticeable.

 

The annoying sibilance disappeared the level of resolution and detail retrieval is now insane details that are easily missed or barely heard with 650's  on the T1 are clear and have further textures and nuances of their own. One of the most welcome improvements with the T1 is the modifications have lead to a filling out of the midrange with the stock crack it felt a little on the lean side but the modifications have added soul and given them a welcome kiss of life.

 

The upshot being the T1 combo of Crack+SB a good tube and around  $100 worth of internal upgrades the amp goes from great to epic and is a seriously good performer. My HD650 have now been claimed by the misses. While the BeyerT1's abilities continue to amaze me on a daily bases even after 6 months of ownership.

post #5385 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsq17 View Post
 

With my friend's stock T1, we can have a 3 way shootout. Stock, Stock + Mod, Cabled. If the difference seems worthwhile we should mod mine too and test! :)

 

Sounds perfect!! We should arrange that soon

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL