- 357 Posts. Joined 4/2013
- Location: Melbourne
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/6/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction With thanks to my esteemed colleague and front page superstar @glassmonkey for fronting this review spectacular. 3 cheers also go out to Iain and the rest of the RHA team for...
Thanks go to earphonia.com who were pleased to let me give the excellently valued Co-Donguri earphone a spin. Pairings Equipment Hidizs AP60 Chord Mojo Dac Intro My second IEM...
Kaiser Encore: Early impressions Please note: This review is posted only so I could share my (very) early impressions, as I know many are eager to hear about the latest Noble (co-) flagship....
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 345post #5161 of 79785/31/14 at 5:07amBTW atsq you should show the bottom part with all the upgraded caps
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #5162 of 79785/31/14 at 7:45amQuote:Originally Posted by skeptic
Reality check: unless you got a screamin' deal, a GEC brown base is now typically more than 1/6 the price of a mainline. "Worth the price" is highly subjective. I like my hotrodded crack with my GEC quite a lot. I also quite like my 5998's, my 7802 and several of my mil spec 6080's in the power tube slot. As good as all of these tube complements sound, none of them put the crack in the same league with the mainline (that's with hd800's, hd650's, dt880's - to say nothing of low impedance phones).
For context, in the old days, when skylab reigned supreme on head-fi as the most prolific and venerated reviewer, he advocated the GEC's as the best 6as7/6080 variant. When they climbed north of $150 a pop, he urged head-fiers to look elsewhere. Not trying to crap on what is definitely a very nice tube, but for those of you who haven't picked one up, don't feel bad or like you're seriously missing out and need to sell plasma, your wife etc. to get your hands on this tube. IMO, as a GEC owner, your money is better spent as a good chunk of a mainline, the upcoming bh dac, or some other serious gear upgrade.
I wanted to give myself another couple of days of listening and comparing before a proper reply.
I'm happy with what I paid for it, for the relative benefits it has brought. It cost a little less than the sum total of the Mundorf Caps, the Supreme bypass caps and the PSU film bypass cap. Having swapped those out today checking for a cold joint, I think the GEC on its own makes a bigger difference. It costs almost as much as the Speedball and I would therefore choose that above a GEC, for anyone looking to upgrade. That said, I never had the chance to listen to it in the stock Crack.
The reason I'm so pleased with it is because it has completed the picture, as it were. It's all about the presentation. It brings a certain refinement to every single aspect of the sound, bass is warm and deep but tightly controlled, it's the best I've heard. The highs offer all the detail you like but with zero fatigue, they're very very sweet. This is the most satisfying treble I've heard, and this is on the HD650s. When you get to the mids, this is where the GEC, and the 650s, really shine. The presentation of vocals and of instruments and textures is absolutely pristine, neither forward nor recessed, not excessively separated nor cluttered in the slightest. It's just the ideal balance, to my ears. Again, I'll come back to the word presentation. Different tubes have given me more in various areas, but almost always to the detriment of something else. The GEC takes all these desirable ingredients and serves you a perfectly balanced meal.post #5163 of 79785/31/14 at 10:27ampost #5164 of 79785/31/14 at 10:55ampost #5165 of 79785/31/14 at 11:02ampost #5166 of 79785/31/14 at 12:37pmQuote:
There are a couple of different types of Siemens E80cc so you might like to confirm which type it is with the seller, some favour the steel pin variety over the gold pin ones as they are said to more neutral and linear than gold plated pin version. The nickel plated version also appears to be identical to the Tungsram E80ccpost #5167 of 79785/31/14 at 1:01pmThanks Jamie, I purchased it, should be here on Tuesday. I will post some pictures. The seller was very nice, he told me they have a code 877 which means made in late 70s/early 80s.
This is the image he provided (image from web but he says his are identical)
Made by Tungsram for Siemens.
Anyways for 35€ shipped for a pair I don't think I can go wrong.post #5168 of 79785/31/14 at 1:22pm
Nice tubes I like mine, have you seen the resistor & switch mod on the bottlehead forum for these? Its a inexpensive modification to the speedball which helps get the best out of E80cc tube.post #5169 of 79785/31/14 at 1:29pmpost #5170 of 79785/31/14 at 1:30pmpost #5171 of 79785/31/14 at 1:42pmQuote:Thank you for the link Jamie, I have not seen it, been a while since I was browsing the BH forums. To be completely honest I don't think I have the cajones to mod my Crack just yet.Originally Posted by JamieMcC
Nice tubes I like mine, have you seen the resistor & switch mod on the bottlehead forum for these? Its a inexpensive modification to the speedball which helps get the best out of E80cc tube.
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,5989.30.htmlpost #5172 of 79785/31/14 at 2:12pmpost #5173 of 79785/31/14 at 2:57pmpost #5174 of 79785/31/14 at 3:07pmpost #5175 of 79786/1/14 at 2:35pm
Installed the switch mod with 470 resistors on the speedball for the E 80cc tube. Sounds very good but I can only just crack the volume control in term of loudness. Seems that there is way too much gain. I'm not sure the best way to proceed with this. Install a Potentiometer, or use a resistor in the volume pot?
Any advice would be appreciated. Can't imagine how much better a Mainline would be then this Crack. It may sound different, but would it be better? Max
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › DX200 The style has been chosen by your votes. Details of design... 2 minutes ago
- › High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and... 2 minutes ago
- › Aussie & NZ Head-Fiers Corner 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Xelento! 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › E-MU Wooden Series Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 9 minutes ago
- › RHA CL750 by Takeanidea
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear