Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 303

post #4531 of 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post


Never tried the ones you mentioning but getting higher end Dac does make the difference. Arcam irDac and Matrix X-Sabre are the most noticeable among those i have tried

little to big and to salty ,if I was going to spend "G"note on a DAC it would probably be Burson Soloist tho ,Thanks 

post #4532 of 5865

I tried the Raspberry Pi with the hifi berry dac with the Crack looking for a streaming solution and it was terrible in comparison to my Marantz. But then it was a tenth of the price.

post #4533 of 5865

Anyone ever compare Asgard 2 vs Crack/ +SB for Senn HD 600?

post #4534 of 5865
I finally painted my top plate. Taped it all off and just went for it. Got to be one of the ugliest Cracks I've seen. Hammered British Racing Green with a deep mahogany base. I was using a slightly too big brush as well so it's an absolute ****show. I'll get some pics up for you guys when it's dried. Worth a chuckle. Already picked out the repaint colour, a pale copper. If that doesn't look any better I'm just going to spray the whole bloody thing matte black, base and all.
post #4535 of 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrraymond View Post

I finally painted my top plate. Taped it all off and just went for it. Got to be one of the ugliest Cracks I've seen. Hammered British Racing Green with a deep mahogany base. I was using a slightly too big brush as well so it's an absolute ****show. I'll get some pics up for you guys when it's dried. Worth a chuckle. Already picked out the repaint colour, a pale copper. If that doesn't look any better I'm just going to spray the whole bloody thing matte black, base and all.

try one of this (if you want to cover it -spraying won't work ,you need sponge brush /thick cover/tap out technique 

https://www.google.com/search?q=sponge+brush&rlz=1C1ASUC_enUS564US564&espv=2&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yU5AU6_kBcbgsASh7oLwCg&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=965

 

quick look at my motherboard covered with liquid tape /sponge brush 

http://imageshack.com/a/img824/4084/qrbu.jpg


Edited by spacequeen7 - 4/5/14 at 11:51am
post #4536 of 5865

Thanks, bud. I'll get down to the hardware store tomorrow and sort my life out. Good news is that it still sounds like a dream so not a complete downer.

post #4537 of 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrraymond View Post
 

Thanks, bud. I'll get down to the hardware store tomorrow and sort my life out. Good news is that it still sounds like a dream so not a complete downer.


But please still show us what it looks like in its current state. :evil:

post #4538 of 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacequeen7 View Post

try one of this (if you want to cover it -spraying won't work ,you need sponge brush /thick cover/tap out technique 
https://www.google.com/search?q=sponge+brush&rlz=1C1ASUC_enUS564US564&espv=2&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yU5AU6_kBcbgsASh7oLwCg&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=965

quick look at my motherboard covered with liquid tape /sponge brush 
http://imageshack.com/a/img824/4084/qrbu.jpg
Ha wow, I had no idea people painted their motherboards.
post #4539 of 5865

A neat trick which can give a perfect paint finish on a top plate prior to building if you don't want to spray would be to clean and prep your plate as normal set your top plate up perfectly flat and level but slightly raised off what ever surface its on with plenty of old news paper underneath Its best to use a two part two part polyurethane an epoxy paint.  Pour the mixed paint over the plate and with a little gentle tilting encouragement it will flow out nicely and look perfect use a small cooking blow torch to super heat the air over any bubbles so they pop (not aimed directly at the paint) a single fine brush bristle will also do. I used this method to apply the clear finish to my plate and it worked really well doing a colour would be no different. For the pour I set my plate up level on and old electric oil filled radiator which was used to heat up the plate and speed up cure.

 

After a light compound and a polish

 

 

post #4540 of 5865

Looks great Jamie!! I would love to give that a go sometime...

post #4541 of 5865



My crack, stained ebony with black paint. The stain was too light, the paint too dark, so I mixed them, then lacquered it. I like it. It matches my other gear well. It also matches my desk well, which is cut straight from the side of a tree
Edited by DutchGFX - 4/5/14 at 7:47pm
post #4542 of 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

A neat trick which can give a perfect paint finish on a top plate prior to building if you don't want to spray would be to clean and prep your plate as normal set your top plate up perfectly flat and level but slightly raised off what ever surface its on with plenty of old news paper underneath Its best to use a two part two part polyurethane an epoxy paint.  Pour the mixed paint over the plate and with a little gentle tilting encouragement it will flow out nicely and look perfect use a small cooking blow torch to super heat the air over any bubbles so they pop (not aimed directly at the paint) a single fine brush bristle will also do. I used this method to apply the clear finish to my plate and it worked really well doing a colour would be no different. For the pour I set my plate up level on and old electric oil filled radiator which was used to heat up the plate and speed up cure.

 

After a light compound and a polish

 

 

 

 

I use "Dragon Skin" which is self-leveling ,they use this in special effects (fake wounds or masks) it's very temperature/moisture  resistant (this mobo have layer of about  1/8" )

and can take -300c under LN2


Edited by spacequeen7 - 4/6/14 at 2:54am
post #4543 of 5865

spacequeen, you have saved me from despair. I got down to the shop this morning, got a sponge brush and a finer artist's brush and gave the whole thing a liberal coat. Due to the hammered paint texturing, which I quite like anyway, you can't tell that the first coat was an absolute hatchet job. I still don't quite know why I went with this bizarre colour scheme, it now looks like some WW2 detonator device but nevertheless, the finish is salvaged and the colour scheme has a certain daft charm. Photos to follow!

post #4544 of 5865

pics or it didn't happen 

post #4545 of 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post

My crack, stained ebony with black paint. The stain was too light, the paint too dark, so I mixed them, then lacquered it. I like it. It matches my other gear well. It also matches my desk well, which is cut straight from the side of a tree

 

Hi Dutch good to see you have your Crack up and running, how are you liking it paired with the MF M1? I have been tempted a couple of times now to try one as they come up quiet often used in the UK for reasonable money. I also am a bit envious of your desk I love how big chunky slabs of wood can make great looking furniture.

 

Jamie

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL