or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 299

post #4471 of 7978

Thanks Aeolus Kratos,

Well, I guess both of them are bad then.  Is there anything I can do? Bake them in oven like someone suggested?  Do you know? Hate to throw them in the trash since seller won't accept return :)


Edited by Jason8777 - 4/1/14 at 10:17am
post #4472 of 7978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason8777 View Post
 

Thanks Aeolus Kratos,

Well, I guess both of them are bad then.  Is there anything I can do? Bake them in oven like someone suggested?  Do you know? Hate to throw them in the trash since seller won't accept return :)


Ask for a refund say unless one is forth coming you are going to contact ebay/paypal disputes and negative feedback will be left. If the seller is genuine there will not be a problem. If you paid via paypal you should have buyer protection and a good chance of getting some money back.

post #4473 of 7978
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeolus Kratos View Post

 

Wow Jamie, such a 'tiny' GEC collection you have biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
By the way, how would you compare the straight base version and the round base version of the GEC? I've never heard any GEC round base version so I'm not sure if there is any difference in terms of sound quality between them.

Thanks.

 

 

Aeolus, in my own set up I think the curved bases are a touch more refined but its not something you would notice across the board and could just as well be some sort of cognitive biasing taking place. I find its only really perceivable with simple music like say Eva Cassidy, to me it sounds like there is a touch more delicacy and vulnerability to the vocals I wouldn't notice the differences if say I was typing on the pc or working while listening, but sat back undistracted with eyes closed it sound very good indeed but perhaps I am just hearing what I want to hear. I've been burning in some new capacitors and for the last week my Cracks not been up to doing any critical listening with.

 

As for my collection, lets just say I have been very lucky with my ebay purchases, just need a MOV branded one to make a full set now.


Edited by JamieMcC - 4/1/14 at 11:30am
post #4474 of 7978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason8777 View Post
 

Hi Guys!

 

Can any of you tell me if I could use these tubes with BH Crack w/ Speedball? I'm asking because the right speaker is dead when I plugged in the tube, both of them.  Bought these off eBay and seller stated they're NOS. Thanks in advance.

 

 

 

 

If both tubes behave the same way I wonder if something came lose on the socket. Did you plug another tube in to check if it still worked OK on both channels? Either of those should sound very good.

post #4475 of 7978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc B. View Post
 

If both tubes behave the same way I wonder if something came lose on the socket. Did you plug another tube in to check if it still worked OK on both channels? Either of those should sound very good.

Thanks Doc B.!

I have another CV4003 ( No Mullard printed on tube) I bought from the same seller and it works fine.  One thing I noticed when I plugged in the two defective tubes, i see a really bright light glowing on the bottom of the tube and it gone after 5 minutes or so on both tubes. Also, the amp hummed really loud when the light is glowing.  Not sure what is going on.

post #4476 of 7978
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 


Ask for a refund say unless one is forth coming you are going to contact ebay/paypal disputes and negative feedback will be left. If the seller is genuine there will not be a problem. If you paid via paypal you should have buyer protection and a good chance of getting some money back.

Thanks for the advice, I contact seller and he agreed to give me partial refund to close the case.  He said the problem could be "radio valve"  Not sure what that means :) but i'm glad to get some money back.

post #4477 of 7978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason8777 View Post
 

Thanks Doc B.!

I have another CV4003 ( No Mullard printed on tube) I bought from the same seller and it works fine.  One thing I noticed when I plugged in the two defective tubes, i see a really bright light glowing on the bottom of the tube and it gone after 5 minutes or so on both tubes. Also, the amp hummed really loud when the light is glowing.  Not sure what is going on.

Ah, well that sounds like an internal short. Too bad.

post #4478 of 7978
*

Edited by spacequeen7 - 4/1/14 at 4:18pm
post #4479 of 7978
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post

 

Aeolus, in my own set up I think the curved bases are a touch more refined but its not something you would notice across the board and could just as well be some sort of cognitive biasing taking place. I find its only really perceivable with simple music like say Eva Cassidy, to me it sounds like there is a touch more delicacy and vulnerability to the vocals I wouldn't notice the differences if say I was typing on the pc or working while listening, but sat back undistracted with eyes closed it sound very good indeed but perhaps I am just hearing what I want to hear. I've been burning in some new capacitors and for the last week my Cracks not been up to doing any critical listening with.

 

As for my collection, lets just say I have been very lucky with my ebay purchases, just need a MOV branded one to make a full set now.

 



Thanks Jamie! I just owned a matched pair of the GEC straight base version and I'm too curious to try a curved one someday. Eva Cassidy is also my favorite singer, along with Corrinne May. Whenever you feel bored with keeping all the same brown base tubes and are willing to let one of your curved base one go, just shoot me a pm smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your wonderful comparison. And good luck with your MOV branded finding.

Cheers,
Kratos.
post #4480 of 7978

A question that's been asked a million times but what DACs would people recommend in a Crack > HD650 chain? I'm thinking around the $300 mark but I'd ideally want a step up from the E7 to see what potential a DAC upgrade has. If I'm going to have to go to £500, I'll make room. The E7 has started with some strange flickering/power issue, probably the battery is on its way out, so I'm looking to replace it within the next couple of months, max. Schiit stuff is pretty hard to come by in the UK and would end up costing a fair bit more than for my transatlantic chums, so that's the Bifrost on the back burner. I've no idea where else to go, though.

post #4481 of 7978
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrraymond View Post

A question that's been asked a million times but what DACs would people recommend in a Crack > HD650 chain? I'm thinking around the $300 mark but I'd ideally want a step up from the E7 to see what potential a DAC upgrade has. If I'm going to have to go to £500, I'll make room. The E7 has started with some strange flickering/power issue, probably the battery is on its way out, so I'm looking to replace it within the next couple of months, max. Schiit stuff is pretty hard to come by in the UK and would end up costing a fair bit more than for my transatlantic chums, so that's the Bifrost on the back burner. I've no idea where else to go, though.

Get yourself Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus or, if funds permit, Arcam irDac. Those are UK dacs
post #4482 of 7978
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrraymond View Post
 

A question that's been asked a million times but what DACs would people recommend in a Crack > HD650 chain? I'm thinking around the $300 mark but I'd ideally want a step up from the E7 to see what potential a DAC upgrade has. If I'm going to have to go to £500, I'll make room. The E7 has started with some strange flickering/power issue, probably the battery is on its way out, so I'm looking to replace it within the next couple of months, max. Schiit stuff is pretty hard to come by in the UK and would end up costing a fair bit more than for my transatlantic chums, so that's the Bifrost on the back burner. I've no idea where else to go, though.

 

I'm thinking about picking up another Marantz na7004 network player for a second system it can be used as a stand alone dac (that's how mine is used withCrack) I have been impressed with the one I have. Originally they were around £700 and can be picked up now for around £200ish If you read through the reviews the dac section is reportedly out the same as in the reference Pearl model which cost £2500 when new and had some great reviews.

 

I cant help but think a good option with a limited budget might be a used newish cd-player that has a digital input so the players dac can be used. I cant help but feel dac prices have run away with them selves there are plenty of great sounding cdplayers about something with SACD capability could be fun with cans.


Edited by JamieMcC - 4/2/14 at 10:21am
post #4483 of 7978

13D4s are the real deal ,this are earlier then 13D5 but look identical

 interesting tubes since micas are "see-through" ,the samples I received are very quite -low micro-phonic just like Tesla 802S

13D5 sounds really good ..solid soundstage ,airy and sweet mids,clear top 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160808127350?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
 

 


Edited by spacequeen7 - 4/2/14 at 3:11pm
post #4484 of 7978
Originally Posted by grrraymond View Post
 

A question that's been asked a million times but what DACs would people recommend in a Crack > HD650 chain? I'm thinking around the $300 mark but I'd ideally want a step up from the E7 to see what potential a DAC upgrade has. If I'm going to have to go to £500, I'll make room. The E7 has started with some strange flickering/power issue, probably the battery is on its way out, so I'm looking to replace it within the next couple of months, max. Schiit stuff is pretty hard to come by in the UK and would end up costing a fair bit more than for my transatlantic chums, so that's the Bifrost on the back burner. I've no idea where else to go, though.

Originally Posted by olegausany View Post

Get yourself Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus or, if funds permit, Arcam irDac. Those are UK dacs

 

I'll add the Beresford Bushmaster MKII to the list.  Stanley Beresford is UK based.. I've had the BM MKII for the better part of three months.. it's terrific.. and can be used with a portable battery (which is said to improve the performance even more).  Also, it comes with a very impressive headphone amp section.. I found it pairs beautifully with the HD650, actually... believe it or not, it's got a similar 'feel' to the Crack, actually.

post #4485 of 7978
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacequeen7 View Post
 

13D4s are the real deal ,this are earlier then 13D5 but look identical

 interesting tubes since micas are "see-through" ,the samples I received are very quite -low micro-phonic just like Tesla 802S

13D5 sounds really good ..solid soundstage ,airy and sweet mids,clear top 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160808127350?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
 

 



Nice tubes! This one should fit also http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC82-13D5A-PINNACLE-BRIMAR-NOS-/271159045585?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3f2256add1 ? Is it warmer than RCA 12au7?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL