or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 284

post #4246 of 7977

Great info!! thanks...

post #4247 of 7977

To Jamies list I can add Burroughs Corporation, I remember turning a load down from Angela Instruments as they were $135 for ten! Thought they were too expensive at the time! [mid 1990s], they were made in 1965.

post #4248 of 7977
Cheers Nic added it to the list

 

5998 Types

 

Top getter

Top and side Getter

Clear top

 

Brand

 

Tung Sol

Chatham

Heinz and Kaufman

Arcturus

Burroughs Corporation

post #4249 of 7977

Test fitting and gluing!   I can almost start the electronics assembly in earnest.

*

 

*

post #4250 of 7977

^ very nice finish...Looks great!

post #4251 of 7977
^^ I concur, very nice looking. I'd love to see more pics during the course of the build. I'm seriously thinking about doing a Crack project myself.
post #4252 of 7977

Me too! The mainline also seems interesting...but barely anyone is talking about it (maybe because it's relatively new and expensive?)

post #4253 of 7977

I'm liking my new PEC 100k so far ,also I took a bit different approach on connecting Dytons

 


Edited by spacequeen7 - 3/15/14 at 12:38pm
post #4254 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen16 View Post

^^ I concur, very nice looking. I'd love to see more pics during the course of the build. I'm seriously thinking about doing a Crack project myself.

 

Here is today's progress. I have some errands and other things to do, so I'll have to come back tomorrow.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #4255 of 7977
Thanks for the progress pics. I'm really enjoying watching this go together.

I can tell it won't be long before I place my order. biggrin.gif
post #4256 of 7977

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well, I ended up with some more time this evening that wasn't expected and it was smooth sailing. Turned it on for the first time and took all my measurements. Everything looked good, so I plugged in a sacrificial set of cans to see if there was noise. So far, so good! Then pulled out my HD650's and am loving it so far! Super happy with how its turned out.

 

I still don't know who makes the 6080WB as there is no markings on it. The other tube is an HP 5963 tube.  The sound is fantastic. Gonna play with it for the next little while and then maybe look at the speed ball.

post #4257 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacequeen7 View Post
 

I'm liking my new PEC 100k so far ,also I took a bit different approach on connecting Dytons

 

 

That's a neat idea for the attaching the caps. I was in the local diy superstore looking for some draw handles the other the other day there were quiet a few types of handle that would easily double as capacitor mounting brackets. Its getting a bit tight for room now on my Crack .

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by syphen606 View Post

 

Well, I ended up with some more time this evening that wasn't expected and it was smooth sailing. Turned it on for the first time and took all my measurements. Everything looked good, so I plugged in a sacrificial set of cans to see if there was noise. So far, so good! Then pulled out my HD650's and am loving it so far! Super happy with how its turned out.

 

I still don't know who makes the 6080WB as there is no markings on it. The other tube is an HP 5963 tube.  The sound is fantastic. Gonna play with it for the next little while and then maybe look at the speed ball.

 

Nice job, I only lasted a week with the Crack in standard form before curiosity got the better of me and the speedball went in.

post #4258 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

 

That's a neat idea for the attaching the caps. I was in the local diy superstore looking for some draw handles the other the other day there were quiet a few types of handle that would easily double as capacitor mounting brackets. Its getting a bit tight for room now on my Crack .

 

 

 

 

 

:atsmile: just wondering how much does the crack weigh with all the caps you got there 


Edited by spacequeen7 - 3/15/14 at 7:06pm
post #4259 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by syphen606 View Post
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well, I ended up with some more time this evening that wasn't expected and it was smooth sailing. Turned it on for the first time and took all my measurements. Everything looked good, so I plugged in a sacrificial set of cans to see if there was noise. So far, so good! Then pulled out my HD650's and am loving it so far! Super happy with how its turned out.

 

I still don't know who makes the 6080WB as there is no markings on it. The other tube is an HP 5963 tube.  The sound is fantastic. Gonna play with it for the next little while and then maybe look at the speed ball.

 

That's a fantastic looking build, syphen!!

 

As for your tube, it looks a lot like the GE (I think) that came with my Crack. I'll see if I can track down a pick in my sale thread to double check the brand and will edit this post if I can confirm.

 

Edit: Confirmed that mine was a GE 6080WC which looked identical to your tube in the pics


Edited by Loquah - 3/15/14 at 7:38pm
post #4260 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post

 

 

 

Quote:

 

Nice job, I only lasted a week with the Crack in standard form before curiosity got the better of me and the speedball went in.

Your crack sure has balls, blue ones at that.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL