Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 268

post #4006 of 5987
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordicai View Post
 

I hate to read these postings. I am so happy with my 600. I don't want to hear about some 1300 headphone that is much better and that I can't afford.  What is it about the T1 that you guys love so much over your faithful Sennheisers? 

 

I enjoy the extra air and detail that the T1s provide, but that's compared to the HD650, not the HD600 which I haven't spent significant time with.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

^^ Don't worry too much. The 600 and 650 both are more pleasing to my ears on the crack than the t1. We all have our preferences about sound. 

 
Agree. There's no guarantee that you'd enjoy the T1's more than the HD600s, @mordicai. The T1s are excellent, but they are different too and that's not always a good thing. I would always recommend trying other phones like the T1s, HD800s, etc. but wouldn't suggest that they're always a better option because we're all different.
post #4007 of 5987

Well Id love to try the T1s and the magniplaners, but that's a hard thing to do without buying them. Hopefully I'm be able to attend the next headfiers meet here in San Diego and have the opportunity. I find the 600 very smooth and an analog sound with my Crack. Very easy to listen to.  Too much detail in some of my 192 recordings turn me off a bit because they tend start sounding "digital". More open and airiy would be nice though.

post #4008 of 5987
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordicai View Post
 

Well Id love to try the T1s and the magniplaners, but that's a hard thing to do without buying them. Hopefully I'm be able to attend the next headfiers meet here in San Diego and have the opportunity. I find the 600 very smooth and an analog sound with my Crack. Very easy to listen to.  Too much detail in some of my 192 recordings turn me off a bit because they tend start sounding "digital". More open and airiy would be nice though.

 

Do try the T1s if you ever get a chance. They're relatively warm despite the treble peak and the Crack helps to keep them sounding nice and smooth - not quite HD6x0 smoot, but still smooth.

post #4009 of 5987

I dont have a lot of head time with the T1, but the impression I got is that it is a step up from the HD 600 and a step down from the HD 800. It has a pleasing neutralish signature like the HD 600 but with a beautiful, authoritative and articulate bass response. It is how the HD 700 should have sounded...lol.

post #4010 of 5987

Between Senn HD 600 + Crack or Beyer DT 990 250 ohm pro, which one would you guys prefer?

post #4011 of 5987

Between the HD 600 and ANY other headphone under $500, it's a no-brainer. Just get the HD 600 and be done with it. Really.

post #4012 of 5987
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post
 

Between the HD 600 and ANY other headphone under $500, it's a no-brainer. Just get the HD 600 and be done with it. Really.


Already own HD 600, but $142 DT 990 kinda hard to reject. >_<

post #4013 of 5987
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaBoliQu3 View Post
 


Already own HD 600, but $142 DT 990 kinda hard to reject. >_<

 

If you already own a Porsche Boxster, why do you care about a deal on a Miata?

post #4014 of 5987

Because some people liking having a garage full of cars?

post #4015 of 5987
Maybe he enjoy piercing bright treble
post #4016 of 5987

LoL. Make sense... No brainer to waste money since I already own a good can. Thank you for loving saving me. :D

post #4017 of 5987

Afternoon, gents. I've seen a 5998 Tung-Sol for £90 but it's described as 'Grade 1', not NOS. Can anyone tell me what this means?

 

90 quid seems reasonably steep but then I've not seen them a hell of a lot cheaper anywhere else, and in fact I've only seen pairs on eBay, which I don't need/want.

 

I've only rolled in a Mullard ECC82 so far and it did make a difference, I was pleasantly surprised to find. Still yet to do the Speedball upgrade, partly because I'm so happy with how it sounds right now and partly because I know I'll need to buy a better soldering kit for when I do. I've heard the TS 5998 is kind of the holy grail of Crack tubes so if not now, then when?

 

I don't want to get it if it's not the right thing, though. Apologies for n00bish question, I'm well out of my depth with tubes.

post #4018 of 5987
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrraymond View Post
 

Afternoon, gents. I've seen a 5998 Tung-Sol for £90 but it's described as 'Grade 1', not NOS. Can anyone tell me what this means?

 

90 quid seems reasonably steep but then I've not seen them a hell of a lot cheaper anywhere else, and in fact I've only seen pairs on eBay, which I don't need/want.

 

I've only rolled in a Mullard ECC82 so far and it did make a difference, I was pleasantly surprised to find. Still yet to do the Speedball upgrade, partly because I'm so happy with how it sounds right now and partly because I know I'll need to buy a better soldering kit for when I do. I've heard the TS 5998 is kind of the holy grail of Crack tubes so if not now, then when?

 

I don't want to get it if it's not the right thing, though. Apologies for n00bish question, I'm well out of my depth with tubes.

 

Garry that's silly money for a 5998 especially if its not tested are you UK based?


Edited by JamieMcC - 3/3/14 at 7:03am
post #4019 of 5987

Personally i would spend the money on a speedball upgrade instead.

post #4020 of 5987
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post
 

Personally i would spend the money on a speedball upgrade instead.


mcandmar yes that's a good suggestion.

 

Also the Mullard 6080 comes up quiet often if you search via the "Europe" feature for around £10 used or NOS for £20 and I would not like to do a blind test between it and a 5998.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL