Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 266

post #3976 of 6346

I am very excited to receive my BHC kit. I ordered back on Feb 4 and it looks like the updated Delivery Status page shows that they fulfilled all orders placed through Feb 2. So...it looks like a few more weeks wait for me, but I am sure that it will be well worth it. I am very excited to pair it with my HD650s:)

post #3977 of 6346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klots View Post
 

Hi! I own Sennheiser HD700 headphones and I ordered my Crack yesterday (woohoo! :D). Now im looking for a dac. Im thinking about two dacs - Aune T1 and Schiit Modi. Basically they are both the same price for me (shipping + customs). I know that Aune T1 also has an amp section inside, but its more about which one goes better with Crack. Any opinions welcome :popcorn:

 

I use the Modi with mine. I'm not even sure the Aune has a line-out from the DAC section (I could be wrong). The Bifrost is also worth considering, the Crack is definitely up to the task.

post #3978 of 6346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonequest View Post
 

Hi.

I'm actually hesitating between the S.E.X and Crack kits... I have 150ohms orthodynamic headphones and Kanto iPair 5 active speakers. Has anyone any recommendations to make? What DAC to get would be the next brainstorming step... Thanks!

I using a Crack with HD 600 headphones, but I also have Mackie active monitors. I went with an Emotiva DC-1 for the Dac. The Emotiva has XLR out connections to the speakers through   a very nice built in preamp. Emotiva has a 30 day " no questions asked" return policy. I've been a happy camper with this set up now for a couple of months'

post #3979 of 6346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordicai View Post
 

I using a Crack with HD 600 headphones, but I also have Mackie active monitors. I went with an Emotiva DC-1 for the Dac. The Emotiva has XLR out connections to the speakers through   a very nice built in preamp. Emotiva has a 30 day " no questions asked" return policy. I've been a happy camper with this set up now for a couple of months'

You should write a review about the DC-1.  I'd love to read your thoughts on it.

post #3980 of 6346

Jay, I was turned on to the Emotiva through a comprehensive review of about 13 dacs conducted by a Head Fi member about two months ago. The Emotiva was the cheapest (499)  and the high end was about 2,000. The reviewer was an experienced audiophile and was looking for a new dac for himself. The tests ran for about two weeks and were documented many time each day with comments by others. The Thread ran many pages 50,60? I don't remember. I was a great resource for all of us looking for a new DAC. The upshot was, that he found the Emotiva sounded just as good as the 1,000 and 2,000 dollar DACs. He eventually bought a $1,200  Yulong D8 Dac because it was DSD capable, but rated the Evotiva #2, and said that the Emotiva and the Yulong sounded the same as a DAC. The thread was eventually locked by those who are the Lockers, and I have been unable to retrieve it with the search engine. My feeling is that it has disappeared down a deep hole somewhere because it is not in the best interests of this sites advertisers.  This is the best review I can provide you.

post #3981 of 6346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordicai View Post
 

Jay, I was turned on to the Emotiva through a comprehensive review of about 13 dacs conducted by a Head Fi member about two months ago. The Emotiva was the cheapest (499)  and the high end was about 2,000. The reviewer was an experienced audiophile and was looking for a new dac for himself. The tests ran for about two weeks and were documented many time each day with comments by others. The Thread ran many pages 50,60? I don't remember. I was a great resource for all of us looking for a new DAC. The upshot was, that he found the Emotiva sounded just as good as the 1,000 and 2,000 dollar DACs. He eventually bought a $1,200  Yulong D8 Dac because it was DSD capable, but rated the Evotiva #2, and said that the Emotiva and the Yulong sounded the same as a DAC. The thread was eventually locked by those who are the Lockers, and I have been unable to retrieve it with the search engine. My feeling is that it has disappeared down a deep hole somewhere because it is not in the best interests of this sites advertisers.  This is the best review I can provide you.


What was the model number of the Emotiva? Got a link to the thread youre referring to?

post #3982 of 6346

It is a Emotiva D-1 Stealth Dac  I am unable to locate the link. Perhaps others who were involved in the thread can provide it to you. There was a large group of Headfiers involved.

post #3983 of 6346
post #3984 of 6346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordicai View Post
 

It is a Emotiva D-1 Stealth Dac  I am unable to locate the link. Perhaps others who were involved in the thread can provide it to you. There was a large group of Headfiers involved.


Ah, the DC-1 you mean? Reminds me of this thread: LINK

post #3985 of 6346

No .That is not the correct link This is: http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison/855

post #3986 of 6346
I have the DC-1 as well and to be honest, not too much different than Modi. Of course this is through my Crack setup. When my Questyle amp arrives, I'll be able to compare more accurately. I got the DC-1 for potential balance use.
post #3987 of 6346
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post
 

 

I use the Modi with mine. I'm not even sure the Aune has a line-out from the DAC section (I could be wrong). The Bifrost is also worth considering, the Crack is definitely up to the task.

Sorry, I forgot to mention my budget. Im aiming for max 200$ (including shipping) outside Europe or 250$ (including shipping) from Europe. So Bifrost is over my budget (with usb its 449$).

post #3988 of 6346

My Crack got few missing parts and loose RCA. Sad... Project, delayed again... Why oh why... And loud pop sound during start up, single channel only. Bad tubes again? Oh my...

- Missing resistors

- Loose RCA

- Bad tubes

 

Delayed another one month.


Edited by diaBoliQu3 - 3/1/14 at 12:31am
post #3989 of 6346

E-DAC is a good DAC (Ephiphany Audio in Europe) and known by many other names elsewhere

 

http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/e-dac-24bit-miniature-usb-dac/

 

currently on sale. Modi is also good, just behind E-DAC in my book but these two USB only inputs DACs are the ones to beat on a budget imho.

post #3990 of 6346

Gave the Crack a try out in the enclosure I made for the Quickie. I need to let the coating harden up prior to flatting it back then a compound and wax polish to finish off with. Need to also order a Bottlehead badge to go on the front. I am please how its turned out

 

 

It was a bit dark to take a pic indoors so I went outside to catch the last of the evenings sunshine.

 


Edited by JamieMcC - 3/1/14 at 10:00am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL