Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 264

post #3946 of 6337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post

There are a couple of lists around with the range of mods in order of impact. Speedball is always the first on the list, but after that the common mods are:
  • Tubes
  • Upgraded volume pots / attenuators
  • Capacitors (power, bypass, etc.)
  • Upgraded RCA terminals and signal cables

I'm not recommending any of these by listing them though and would say that it's best to start stock and listen for a while then install Speedball. Tube rolling is fun at anytime, but has less impact than the Speedball. After that you'll have a really good sense of what you might want to do next (if anything) 

Ah cool, these Bottlehead products are some of the most flexible products I've ever seen eek.gif

Gonna have to get me one of these when money permits
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

Of course you can also feed it in with the Quickie like I'm doing. wink.gif

Well hey... I do need a preamp wink.gif
Edited by Aussiejuggalo - 2/26/14 at 6:27pm
post #3947 of 6337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiejuggalo View Post


Ah cool, these Bottlehead products are some of the most flexible products I've ever seen eek.gif

Gonna have to get me one of these when money permits
Well hey... I do need a preamp wink.gif

 

The Quickie is great!! Highly recommended!

post #3948 of 6337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post

The Quickie is great!! Highly recommended!

How many damn batterys does it need eek.gif lol

Looks nice tho and damn cheap
post #3949 of 6337

I have to say most audio improvement per dollar so far in this audiophile journey for me has been the $135 for the Quickie + PJCCS. Actually, it's probably the $35 in the PJCCS upgrade itself, but that's not a standalone gear. I found that upgrade to really make a difference sonically, especially in the bass.

post #3950 of 6337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

I have to say most audio improvement per dollar so far in this audiophile journey for me has been the $135 for the Quickie + PJCCS. Actually, it's probably the $35 in the PJCCS upgrade itself, but that's not a standalone gear. I found that upgrade to really make a difference sonically, especially in the bass.

 

Yeah the Quickie is nice, but not amazing in stock form, but it's incredible value with the PJCCS tacked on!

post #3951 of 6337
Probably gonna get flammed hard for this tongue.gif, if I got the Crack and Quickie and used my STX as a DAC... would it be a waste for the Crack and Quickie?

I'd only be using my STX coz I game so its 8 channel audio is a must lol
post #3952 of 6337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiejuggalo View Post

Probably gonna get flammed hard for this tongue.gif, if I got the Crack and Quickie and used my STX as a DAC... would it be a waste for the Crack and Quickie?

I'd only be using my STX coz I game so its 8 channel audio is a must lol

Probably not. While the Crack (and Quickie) is great in musicality, it's not the last word in picking out all those fine details. I even found the $120 Vali to be better at that. I don't think the DAC is as important for this setup.

post #3953 of 6337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

Probably not. While the Crack (and Quickie) is great in musicality, it's not the last word in picking out all those fine details. I even found the $120 Vali to be better at that. I don't think the DAC is as important for this setup.

 

+1 STX should be fine (not saying it's the perfect setup, but if it meets your gaming needs it'll be a fine all-rounder)

post #3954 of 6337

Anyone know if this is the right way to go with the Crack?  Valab 23-Stepped Attenuator Volume Control 100K --- stereo log type; 2 channels

post #3955 of 6337
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordicai View Post
 

Anyone know if this is the right way to go with the Crack?  Valab 23-Stepped Attenuator Volume Control 100K --- stereo log type; 2 channels

 

Sounds right to me

post #3956 of 6337

Thanks Loquah

post #3957 of 6337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

Probably not. While the Crack (and Quickie) is great in musicality, it's not the last word in picking out all those fine details. I even found the $120 Vali to be better at that. I don't think the DAC is as important for this setup.

Lol should buy the Quickie for preamp, Crack for music and Soloist SL for gaming biggrin.gif But thats probably a bit over the top tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post

+1 STX should be fine (not saying it's the perfect setup, but if it meets your gaming needs it'll be a fine all-rounder)

Are there any external DACs that can do 8 channel audio with normal stereo headphones or is it only internal sound cards that can?
post #3958 of 6337

There are pro audio dacs which can do 8+ channels, but you're still only going to get 2 in stereo unless you're mixing the channels together.

post #3959 of 6337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

There are pro audio dacs which can do 8+ channels, but you're still only going to get 2 in stereo unless you're mixing the channels together.

Thought so, the STX does kind of a virtual mix via software or something lol
post #3960 of 6337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

I have to say most audio improvement per dollar so far in this audiophile journey for me has been the $135 for the Quickie + PJCCS. Actually, it's probably the $35 in the PJCCS upgrade itself, but that's not a standalone gear. I found that upgrade to really make a difference sonically, especially in the bass.

 

Hey Sonido, how long do the batteries typically last in the Quickie? Have you needed to replace them often?

 

Anyone else tried it with the HD 650/Crack combo with good results? I'm curious, and it's cheap enough that I'm willing to give it a whirl. Hell, it's cheaper than many premium tubes!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL