or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 256

post #3826 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

Short update on the Jantzen Superior Z

 

I am glad I gave the Jantzens some time to burn in they have defiantly improved. The very annoying sibilance that was initial prevalent (testing with my most prevalent recordings for it)has noticeably diminish.

 

The sound continued to improve across the spectrum and with it a shift in the equilibrium appearing with the balance between liquidity and authority. The Jantzen signature is more dominant and overriding.  Super Resolution and fast transients spacious stage override.

 

Resolution, on some uber fast Spanish guitar pieces is astonishing not only able to hear notes as normal but also the attack of the plectrum hitting the strings on each strum behind the notes quiet amazing considering the speed.

 

With further listening and burn this combination for me has swung to far to the clinical side with its authority and dominance at the expense of musicality.

The softness and naturalness of texture in timbre and tones which beguiled is being drowned out.  I removed the Jantzens from this combination so I could re-reference the sound. I will try them again later with some pio caps and see if it’s a more pleasing combination. The Jantzens are certainly very good caps and I think many would like what they bring to the table.

 

A couple of progress pics.

 

  

  

 

Brilliant write-up Jamie!

post #3827 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacequeen7 View Post
 

wow ..you taking this to another level ,it looks crazy...

  my head is spinning :basshead:

 

P.S. I just received my pre-build (with speedball upgrade) unit today and was wondering  if I could use any of this tubes (sorry I just can't get on the Bottlehead Forum)

 

Hi here is the list you are after from the Bottlehead Forum. Enjoy your build its a great sounding amp as you will soon find out!

I am just having fun experimenting rolling caps instead of tubes, I doubt there is much difference in cost at the end of the day.Those silver and green ones are about the same price as a cup of coffee each and are Russian military surplus.

 

 DROP-IN EQUIVALENTS

Input Tubes (Original: 12AU7)


12AU7(A)(WA)
ECC186
ECC82
ECC802(S)
E8025
E82CC
CV4003
CV4122
CV491
5814(A)
6189(W)(WA)
6680 (WL6680)
6067
7489
7316
5963 (computer version of 12AU7)

Sort-of-Drop-In (but not equivalent - for best results, replace plate resistors with Speedball boards)

E80CC
12BH7

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquah View Post
 

 

Brilliant write-up Jamie!

 

Lachlan cheers:beerchug: I am loving this latest combination, going to run them in for week of two now.

 

There is a teaser of sorts on the orgy of caps bb in my quote of Jon L

 

 http://www.head-fi.org/t/284863/orgy-of-capacitors-the-cap-thread/405#post_10298191

post #3828 of 7977
I have just ordered the crack + speedball for my hd600. Will have to sell my um pro 50 to fund this purchase so I hope that it won't let me down smily_headphones1.gif

Is the current shipping lead time a month from the point of order?
post #3829 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

I have just ordered the crack + speedball for my hd600. Will have to sell my um pro 50 to fund this purchase so I hope that it won't let me down smily_headphones1.gif

Is the current shipping lead time a month from the point of order?

 

I can't help you with shipping times, but I can tell you that the Crack+SB+HD600 is an outstanding combination.  It's a fun, lively, 'forget the specs and listen to the music'  setup.  Enjoy it: it really is as good as everyone says it is :L3000: .

post #3830 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

I have just ordered the crack + speedball for my hd600. Will have to sell my um pro 50 to fund this purchase so I hope that it won't let me down smily_headphones1.gif

Is the current shipping lead time a month from the point of order?

 

I'm at four weeks tomorrow. Doc B chimed in a few pages ago and said to look for kits to go out next week, so hopefully I'll be in that group. :D

post #3831 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpaulie View Post
 

 

I can't help you with shipping times, but I can tell you that the Crack+SB+HD600 is an outstanding combination.  It's a fun, lively, 'forget the specs and listen to the music'  setup.  Enjoy it: it really is as good as everyone says it is :L3000: .

 

Nice to hear that! Now I just need to get past the soldering stage. I did dropped Doc B and Queen some questions but have yet to hear from them. Hope that they can answer my questions soon!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

I'm at four weeks tomorrow. Doc B chimed in a few pages ago and said to look for kits to go out next week, so hopefully I'll be in that group. :D

 

I hope that my waiting time will not exceed 4 weeks, as international shipping will require another 2-3 weeks >_<

post #3832 of 7977

I think that there is something wrong with Bottlehead's e-mail domain. My e-mail can't seem to get through. Might be related to the recent website revamp?

 

I am worried that Doc B didn't receive my order details.

post #3833 of 7977

finally got my hands on a 5998. impressive.

post #3834 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post
 

I think that there is something wrong with Bottlehead's e-mail domain. My e-mail can't seem to get through. Might be related to the recent website revamp?

 

I am worried that Doc B didn't receive my order details.

 

I did notice this posted by Doc on the forum

 

Quote

 

"The new shopping cart is working fine, but doesn't quite have its final appearance. The one thing that may throw some folks off is that even though orders are going through fine (and thank you for those orders!) there is - temporarily - no final confirmation page when your order is complete. We needed the website to be operational before the new style sheets can be loaded that include that page. When those are uploaded early next week the cart will have a bit more finished appearance."
 
If still concerned try emailing in a few days time, they might have some of the bugs sorted later in the week.

Edited by JamieMcC - 2/23/14 at 12:09am
post #3835 of 7977
How does Crack pair with Dt880/600, buddies? I've heard Crack with Hd650 once at the meet and I was totally shocked by their sounds. They were just a "wow"," speechless", and "shaking". They sound unbelievable, probably one of the very best I've tried except BHse/009. There are very few combos that really wow me, such as Hd650/crack, Lcd2/v200, and BHsese/009. I know there are lots of more expensive options but they are just ok to my ears, never amaze me, maybe I just don't have "the golden ears".
post #3836 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminhuypham View Post

How does Crack pair with Dt880/600, buddies? I've heard Crack with Hd650 once at the meet and I was totally shocked by their sounds. They were just a "wow"," speechless", and "shaking". They sound unbelievable, probably one of the very best I've tried except BHse/009. There are very few combos that really wow me, such as Hd650/crack, Lcd2/v200, and BHsese/009. I know there are lots of more expensive options but they are just ok to my ears, never amaze me, maybe I just don't have "the golden ears".

 

It's been a little while since I tried that combo, but it is definitely a nice pairing

post #3837 of 7977

Lachlan congrats on the Golden ears. I started the challenge the other evening on my bed room rig but had to abort when my little one decided she wanted to use the bed as a trampoline.

post #3838 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc B. View Post

When a domain moves as outs just did it takes up to 24 hours for it to propagate throughout the internet. Going from a dedicated server to cloud based makes the process a bit more complex as various parts of the site are now on various servers. My suggestion is just try again in a while. Re the images, we are aware of the issue. I have a thread started about the new website, where you guys can post bug reports so you don't have to use the bandwidth on Head Fi. Things like the images and other glitches will probably start to get fixed Monday, as the web design team needs a few well deserved days off.

 

Probably his browser cache, not your server setup.

 

I'd suggest clearing the browser cache, then trying again.

post #3839 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmustBKidn View Post
 

 

Probably his browser cache, not your server setup.

 

I'd suggest clearing the browser cache, then trying again

I don't think it was browser cache as I had previous already visited the new forum prior, however that's a excellent tip thanks. I was able to log in when I next tried about an hour later and have had no log in problems since. The IT guys will have plenty of bugs to keep them busy fine tuning. 

post #3840 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

Lachlan congrats on the Golden ears. I started the challenge the other evening on my bed room rig but had to abort when my little one decided she wanted to use the bed as a trampoline.

 

Thanks Jamie, I had to try it once I read Tyll's article about it on Inner Fidelity. There were some frustrating moments! Bottlehead fans might like to know that the Mainline amp was my reference amp to do all of the tests.

 

For anyone interested: www.goldenears.philips.com

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL