or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 251

post #3751 of 7977

How does the crack compare to Schiit Lyr or Project Ember on a HD650? I'm really sold on the crack's performance but it's huge footprint is just too big for my desk, and I'm looking for similar sounding amps with a smaller and more appealing footprint.

post #3752 of 7977

Short answer, find a place to put the crack. The lyr is a fine amp, no question and does a great job especially with planar magnetic hp's. But when it comes to the hd6x00, get the crack. 

 

There is not a lot of difference on the footprint between those two amps anyway. 

post #3753 of 7977

 

I have just finished this Bottlehead Crack. Default cabinet with three layers of chestnut wood stain, five layers of spar varnish with 400 grit sanding between and a polish of the varnish after a week of hardening. 

 

The panel has been spray painted with 8 layers of hammered dark grey paint.

 

I'm going to install the Speedball kit this week, along with two Mundorf 100uf 400v. In a day or two I will post a link to my blog with lots of pictures and detailed description. 

 

Hope you like it.

 

Btw. there is a little distortion or maybe sibilance on the highest notes (above 9-10 khz). Is this because the caps aren't burned in yet? It has only been used for 2 hours.


Edited by lokesen - 2/17/14 at 1:48am
post #3754 of 7977

lokesen your Crack looks stunning great job. Suddenly I have developed a craving for some rich luxurious chocolate!

post #3755 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokesen View Post
 

 

 

I have just finished this Bottlehead Crack. Default cabinet with three layers of chestnut wood stain, five layers of spar varnish with 400 grit sanding between and a polish of the varnish after a week of hardening. 

 

The panel has been spray painted with 8 layers of hammered dark grey paint.

 

I'm going to install the Speedball kit this week, along with two Mundorf 100uf 400v. In a day or two I will post a link to my blog with lots of pictures and detailed description. 

 

Hope you like it.

 

Btw. there is a little distortion or maybe sibilance on the highest notes (above 9-10 khz). Is this because the caps aren't burned in yet? It has only been used for 2 hours.

 

Great looking build!! Love the dark look. 

post #3756 of 7977
Yes, very nice looking!
post #3757 of 7977

Does anyone have the pdf of the manual/schematic of the Crack? I can't find my printed manual.

thank you

post #3758 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post
 

Does anyone have the pdf of the manual/schematic of the Crack? I can't find my printed manual.

thank you

here you go

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/samplemanuals/Crackmanualsample.pdf

post #3759 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Short answer, find a place to put the crack. The lyr is a fine amp, no question and does a great job especially with planar magnetic hp's. But when it comes to the hd6x00, get the crack. 

 

There is not a lot of difference on the footprint between those two amps anyway. 

Why is the Lyr a better amp for planar magnetics? I'm also using the HE-400, so if it pairs great with that as well it's a huge plus for me.

post #3760 of 7977

You don't want the crack for the he400 or any planar magnetic hp. The lyr is the choice is you need an amp that will works across both dynamic driver and planar's. 

post #3761 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lehrer View Post
 

here you go

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/samplemanuals/Crackmanualsample.pdf

 

That's just the 5 page sample but thanks, I located it again as well.

post #3762 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokesen View Post
 

 

I have just finished this Bottlehead Crack. Default cabinet with three layers of chestnut wood stain, five layers of spar varnish with 400 grit sanding between and a polish of the varnish after a week of hardening. 

 

The panel has been spray painted with 8 layers of hammered dark grey paint.

 

I'm going to install the Speedball kit this week, along with two Mundorf 100uf 400v. In a day or two I will post a link to my blog with lots of pictures and detailed description. 

 

Hope you like it.

 

Btw. there is a little distortion or maybe sibilance on the highest notes (above 9-10 khz). Is this because the caps aren't burned in yet? It has only been used for 2 hours.

Wow, that is the best looking Crack I have ever seen. Well done Sir.

 

If you were in the US Id probably hit you up to do mine!


Edited by ben_r_ - 2/17/14 at 3:46pm
post #3763 of 7977

Yes, beautiful...Dark chocolate delicious :smile:

post #3764 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokesen View Post
 

 

I have just finished this Bottlehead Crack. Default cabinet with three layers of chestnut wood stain, five layers of spar varnish with 400 grit sanding between and a polish of the varnish after a week of hardening. 

 

The panel has been spray painted with 8 layers of hammered dark grey paint.

 

I'm going to install the Speedball kit this week, along with two Mundorf 100uf 400v. In a day or two I will post a link to my blog with lots of pictures and detailed description. 

 

Hope you like it.

 

Btw. there is a little distortion or maybe sibilance on the highest notes (above 9-10 khz). Is this because the caps aren't burned in yet? It has only been used for 2 hours.

Holy **** this is beautiful. How much do you think it would cost for me to find someone to do the finish like this for me?

post #3765 of 7977
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
 

Wow, that is the best looking Crack I have ever seen. Well done Sir.

 

 

+1 - beautiful job!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL