Eileen is always very helpful...For those who still haven't had their Cracks, please be patient. I waited 3 weeks for my Speedball upgrade to ship some months back, and we're now during the holiday season.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Great lil on-ear headphone but a lil bit uncomfortable on ear. Not for someone who loves heavy bass but good for seeking clarity ;) My opinion, my first AKG product. Tried the AKG Y50 but to me,...
In Ears Prophile 8 IEM review January 2017 Intro I had heard of In Ears but did not know too much about them until I see them on the In-Ear stand at the Indulgence show in London...
MrZ's Toneking Musicmaker TingThe review that swayed me to get on-boardhttp://www.head-fi.org/products/musicmaker-ting/reviews/15584The slightly down-line 1/2 price...
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 223
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #3332 of 808011/29/13 at 3:18pm
Sitting back with a wee dram and just enjoying letting the music flow and boy can the Crack sing even with the standard tubes straight from the off its simply magic.
I can see how easy it is to succumbed to this Crack addiction.
Jamiepost #3333 of 808011/29/13 at 3:21pmQuote:
Play some Jane Monheit and get lost in the momentpost #3334 of 808011/29/13 at 3:35pmpost #3335 of 808011/29/13 at 3:39pmpost #3336 of 808011/29/13 at 3:41pmpost #3337 of 808011/29/13 at 3:54pmQuote:
Hi thanks, the black finish is the weave pattern from a piece of carbon fibre sheet I had made earlier. Its about 0.4mm thick I glued it to the alloy top plate of the Crack and cut out the holes afterwards with a dremel using the top plate as a guide.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/29/13 at 3:56pmpost #3338 of 808011/29/13 at 6:25pmpost #3339 of 808011/29/13 at 7:03pmpost #3340 of 808011/30/13 at 12:30amQuote:
The magic water definitely will improve the SQ.post #3341 of 808011/30/13 at 2:09amI really need to finish my base. It's still held together with electrical tape...
Pondering Speedball, tubes or a DAC upgrade. Given my lack of clarity of thought right now, I'll turn it over to you guys. Which would you upgrade first?post #3342 of 808011/30/13 at 3:02am
That all depends on what you've got now.. but I'd say Speedball first.. then a DAC.. then tubes.post #3343 of 808011/30/13 at 3:28ampost #3344 of 808011/30/13 at 4:29am
Thanks Doc the inlay is from a New Zealand species of abalone called Paua (it tastes ok to) it tends to have much more of that iridescent blueness to it. Its very hard to capture the effect with the camera but it simply lights up and sparkles when the sun or light hits it.Quote:
"How did you do the border around the amp" Very carefully cut a shallow groove around the case and glue the inlay into the grove then bury under lots of clear coat.
The LED story, after I shorted a LED when doing the voltage checks Bottlehead kindly offered to send me a free replacement to the UK but the small amount for postage was higher than buying locally throw in the US Thanksgiving holiday and time for international delivery this most likely added up to well over a week or two for the led to arrive. I decided to see if I could find a UK source and ended up buying 5 for £3 including postage delivered in two days off of ebay! Farnell also has them at 25p each but had a handling/postage charge of £3.95 on top for next day delivery.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/30/13 at 7:05ampost #3345 of 808011/30/13 at 12:09pm
As has been noted by many here (as well as in my personal experience), the Speedball makes the most significant difference of the three upgrades you're looking at. I'd recommend a solid, mid-level DAC for the speedball'ed Crack (since it does offer better clarity and resolution than the stock Crack). I haven't heard the Fiio E7.. so it could be more than capable for your needs. I prefer to go with a neutral, transparent DAC w/ the Crack (so the only coloration comes from the tube). An ODAC or Stone Acoustics UD110 would be a great fit, IME. If you wanted to a bit higher up the price scale, a Bifrost Uber would be a great choice, too.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 34 seconds ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 1 minute ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 2 minutes ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 2 minutes ago
- › University student looking for some new headphones or advice on how... 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 4 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 4 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K403 by IkuMiku96
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by FortisFlyer75
- › MusicMaker Ting by Redcarmoose
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear