Last few weeks, someone gave me the worst advice I ever get. He asked me to get Crack, and use my credit card. Thanks to that guy, now I'm waiting for my Christmas present even though Santa didn't like me for being naught this year.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
These are easy to use and pair quickly with your device. The sound quality - lows, mids, and highs are excellent provided a good seal with the ear. Good bluetooth range, battery life, and comfort....
USED Shure E5, 425, 535 EX1000 is a good start to have a taste of pro sound. Islation is not that good when music isnt playing.
- Headphone Impedance
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 221
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Little update I unexpectedly had a afternoon free on Saturday so with some trepidation and a pair of shaky hands was able to make a start on wiring up the crack.
Those pesky little LED's are a tad fiddly but are now in and I haven't melted anything yet and have only burnt me little pinkie once. Up to page 29 now but minus the 22.1K ohm 1W resistor as I did not have the meter with me to check it was correct the bands also looked different to the picture.
Happy to say its been a blast so far.
Also much to my relief my practice soldering was done with some 60/40 solder but for the actual build I have some 63/37 Cardas Eutectic solder. This turned out to be a lot more user friendly to solder with than the 60/40;
Also who ever gave the tip of using those medical forceps which lock super idea these have been very handy to hold bits steady or use as heat sinks when soldering the LED's and any other bits close to plastic which I might have melted.
Work in progress pic.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/24/13 at 1:18am
Cheers Paul I am kicking back for the rest of the evening and having a beer the Cracks assembled (minus speedball) and I will tackle the resistance and volt checks to tomorrow with fresh eyes . Internals took me about 7hrs total, 4hrs yesterday and 3hrs today.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/24/13 at 11:37am
Clean build..good job mate. When you're done with the spedball, post some more pics
quick question. I am thinking of buying a Bottlehead Crack to go with some HD650's relatively soon. Partly because I think they would be a lot of fun, and a great learning experience to build, and also because I've heard that they are an A++ pairing with the 650's.
That said, I will be running them from my PC, which has an ASUS Xonar DX card. I am wondering if that will be sufficient to use, or if I should be looking to pair it with a different DAC? This will be my first foray into tubes, so I am hoping that someone in this forum has experience with that particular setup that might be able to she some light.
Great advice. By starting with a Crack with your existing sound card you can hear the difference made by using the Crack and can then notice the upgrade improvements of a future DAC upgrade.
I have gone and shot myself in the foot while doing the voltage checks (face palms self)!
Resistance checks were all good and very close to those in the spec.
Voltage checks all good and going well until a LED went out while testing the octal socket terminals.
Very fast diagnoses from Caucasian Blackplate (Paul "PB" Birkeland) on the bottlehead forum (Doc must have him hard wired into the computer) with a almost instant response just a few moments later.
Very impressive customer service well done and thank you Bottlehead.
So after a few quick questions and answers it looks like I shorted out the LED on the adjacent high voltage pin with the end of the testing probe. I am very thankful that nothing more serious was damaged, including myself as this was the very first time I had ever used a multi meter its a good lesson to learn for later on.
Looking on the positive side while I wait for a replacement LED I will be able to finish off the case. Which may not have happened so soon if I had started enjoying listening
to the Crack.
Edit I meant to add
Be very careful when you start probing your Crack!
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/26/13 at 1:00pm
Sorry to hear that, Jamie .
I have to second your comment about Bottlehead service. When I posted a question here about the SpeedBall assembly, Doc answered in minutes. When I purchased the unit, Eileen was friendly and prompt both over email and on the phone. I suspect Bottlehead is having a hard time filling orders for some of their items and it is with good reason.
Thanks for the kind words guys. We do continually run behind on delivery. It makes some folks a little perturbed in the era of Amazon free two day shipping (for only $70 a year) and Netflix streaming HD movies (with no surround sound). But this isn't a mass market product we are offering. We carefully prep and pack everything in house, I even brush all the chassis panels myself. This year we hired more staff to concentrate on order fulfillment (Josh) and one of the benefits has been about a 27% increase in business. So we kinda ended up at status quo on delivery time even with the extra help. That said, we are as caught up right now as we have been in a few months. Some of you might not know we have a delivery status web page linked to our shopping cart's main page, that gets updates whenever we complete a packing and shipping run. You can look at where we are at on orders and get some feel for how long the wait might be for your kit.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Band Name Game II 53 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Custom Art Music One ciem 1 minute ago
- › Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon 1 minute ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 1 minute ago
- › Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator 3 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 6 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO EX1 world tour--open for application now! 8 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by Reinoud1963
- › Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones by Chu
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2