Last few weeks, someone gave me the worst advice I ever get. He asked me to get Crack, and use my credit card. Thanks to that guy, now I'm waiting for my Christmas present even though Santa didn't like me for being naught this year.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Pictures to be added shortly... Introduction Why am I here? Am I seeking an endgame all-in-one audio device? Am I seeking an amplifier for every conceivable, non-electrostatic headphone? Am...
Great quality to be expected of a Fiio product, the cable works as intended and feels nice in the hand. There`s no strain relief on the 30pin connector, perhaps it`s to increase pliability?...
Feliks Audio Espressivo A Foot Tappin', Head Shakin' Tube Amp | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | INTRODUCTION A Diamond In The Rough Feliks Audio is a family company...
Intro I've been searching for a pair of headphones to use on commutes for years. I started with the Skullcandy Hesh in middle school which broke after several months. After that i came across...
The ONKYO A800 is a very impressive headphone indeed, and I believe it has the potential to really earn a following among headphone enthusiasts. To be sure, we are in an...
- Headphone Impedance
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 221
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Little update I unexpectedly had a afternoon free on Saturday so with some trepidation and a pair of shaky hands was able to make a start on wiring up the crack.
Those pesky little LED's are a tad fiddly but are now in and I haven't melted anything yet and have only burnt me little pinkie once. Up to page 29 now but minus the 22.1K ohm 1W resistor as I did not have the meter with me to check it was correct the bands also looked different to the picture.
Happy to say its been a blast so far.
Also much to my relief my practice soldering was done with some 60/40 solder but for the actual build I have some 63/37 Cardas Eutectic solder. This turned out to be a lot more user friendly to solder with than the 60/40;
Also who ever gave the tip of using those medical forceps which lock super idea these have been very handy to hold bits steady or use as heat sinks when soldering the LED's and any other bits close to plastic which I might have melted.
Work in progress pic.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/24/13 at 1:18am
Cheers Paul I am kicking back for the rest of the evening and having a beer the Cracks assembled (minus speedball) and I will tackle the resistance and volt checks to tomorrow with fresh eyes . Internals took me about 7hrs total, 4hrs yesterday and 3hrs today.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/24/13 at 11:37am
Clean build..good job mate. When you're done with the spedball, post some more pics
quick question. I am thinking of buying a Bottlehead Crack to go with some HD650's relatively soon. Partly because I think they would be a lot of fun, and a great learning experience to build, and also because I've heard that they are an A++ pairing with the 650's.
That said, I will be running them from my PC, which has an ASUS Xonar DX card. I am wondering if that will be sufficient to use, or if I should be looking to pair it with a different DAC? This will be my first foray into tubes, so I am hoping that someone in this forum has experience with that particular setup that might be able to she some light.
Great advice. By starting with a Crack with your existing sound card you can hear the difference made by using the Crack and can then notice the upgrade improvements of a future DAC upgrade.
I have gone and shot myself in the foot while doing the voltage checks (face palms self)!
Resistance checks were all good and very close to those in the spec.
Voltage checks all good and going well until a LED went out while testing the octal socket terminals.
Very fast diagnoses from Caucasian Blackplate (Paul "PB" Birkeland) on the bottlehead forum (Doc must have him hard wired into the computer) with a almost instant response just a few moments later.
Very impressive customer service well done and thank you Bottlehead.
So after a few quick questions and answers it looks like I shorted out the LED on the adjacent high voltage pin with the end of the testing probe. I am very thankful that nothing more serious was damaged, including myself as this was the very first time I had ever used a multi meter its a good lesson to learn for later on.
Looking on the positive side while I wait for a replacement LED I will be able to finish off the case. Which may not have happened so soon if I had started enjoying listening
to the Crack.
Edit I meant to add
Be very careful when you start probing your Crack!
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/26/13 at 1:00pm
Sorry to hear that, Jamie .
I have to second your comment about Bottlehead service. When I posted a question here about the SpeedBall assembly, Doc answered in minutes. When I purchased the unit, Eileen was friendly and prompt both over email and on the phone. I suspect Bottlehead is having a hard time filling orders for some of their items and it is with good reason.
Thanks for the kind words guys. We do continually run behind on delivery. It makes some folks a little perturbed in the era of Amazon free two day shipping (for only $70 a year) and Netflix streaming HD movies (with no surround sound). But this isn't a mass market product we are offering. We carefully prep and pack everything in house, I even brush all the chassis panels myself. This year we hired more staff to concentrate on order fulfillment (Josh) and one of the benefits has been about a 27% increase in business. So we kinda ended up at status quo on delivery time even with the extra help. That said, we are as caught up right now as we have been in a few months. Some of you might not know we have a delivery status web page linked to our shopping cart's main page, that gets updates whenever we complete a packing and shipping run. You can look at where we are at on orders and get some feel for how long the wait might be for your kit.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Earbuds Round-Up 8 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 10 seconds ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 2 minutes ago
- › Etymotic ER-4S 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 4 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 4 minutes ago
- › Stax 009 Japan Import 5 minutes ago
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...