Last few weeks, someone gave me the worst advice I ever get. He asked me to get Crack, and use my credit card. Thanks to that guy, now I'm waiting for my Christmas present even though Santa didn't like me for being naught this year.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Empire Ears & Effect Audio Collaboration “ARTHUR” Intro Specifications Arthur frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Sensitivity: 21ohm @ 1mw 14 Balanced Armature drivers...
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
Wow is the first word that popped into my mind after putting on these IEMs. Dunu has outdone themselves again. SOUND These are quite possibly the best IEMs I have ever listened to. These...
Design & Comfort: Why can't you all do this? AudioQuest makes their first headphone and immediately gets so many things right that other companies seem to completely ignore. They even had the...
Bought these bad boys on sale from Harman Audio. Very clear and balanced sound for the price range, I have also had some good Grado SR80i headphones that I gave to my brother but the AKG K550 has...
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 221
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #3302 of 812911/23/13 at 11:06pmpost #3303 of 812911/24/13 at 1:13am
Little update I unexpectedly had a afternoon free on Saturday so with some trepidation and a pair of shaky hands was able to make a start on wiring up the crack.
Those pesky little LED's are a tad fiddly but are now in and I haven't melted anything yet and have only burnt me little pinkie once. Up to page 29 now but minus the 22.1K ohm 1W resistor as I did not have the meter with me to check it was correct the bands also looked different to the picture.
Happy to say its been a blast so far.
Also much to my relief my practice soldering was done with some 60/40 solder but for the actual build I have some 63/37 Cardas Eutectic solder. This turned out to be a lot more user friendly to solder with than the 60/40;
Also who ever gave the tip of using those medical forceps which lock super idea these have been very handy to hold bits steady or use as heat sinks when soldering the LED's and any other bits close to plastic which I might have melted.
Work in progress pic.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/24/13 at 1:18ampost #3304 of 812911/24/13 at 7:32ampost #3305 of 812911/24/13 at 11:36am
Cheers Paul I am kicking back for the rest of the evening and having a beer the Cracks assembled (minus speedball) and I will tackle the resistance and volt checks to tomorrow with fresh eyes . Internals took me about 7hrs total, 4hrs yesterday and 3hrs today.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/24/13 at 11:37ampost #3306 of 812911/25/13 at 12:36amQuote:
Clean build..good job mate. When you're done with the spedball, post some more picspost #3307 of 812911/25/13 at 4:42ampost #3308 of 812911/25/13 at 3:18pm
quick question. I am thinking of buying a Bottlehead Crack to go with some HD650's relatively soon. Partly because I think they would be a lot of fun, and a great learning experience to build, and also because I've heard that they are an A++ pairing with the 650's.
That said, I will be running them from my PC, which has an ASUS Xonar DX card. I am wondering if that will be sufficient to use, or if I should be looking to pair it with a different DAC? This will be my first foray into tubes, so I am hoping that someone in this forum has experience with that particular setup that might be able to she some light.
Thanks sirs.post #3309 of 812911/25/13 at 3:39pmpost #3310 of 812911/25/13 at 5:17pmpost #3311 of 812911/25/13 at 8:25pmQuote:
Great advice. By starting with a Crack with your existing sound card you can hear the difference made by using the Crack and can then notice the upgrade improvements of a future DAC upgrade.post #3312 of 812911/26/13 at 11:00am
I have gone and shot myself in the foot while doing the voltage checks (face palms self)!
Resistance checks were all good and very close to those in the spec.
Voltage checks all good and going well until a LED went out while testing the octal socket terminals.
Very fast diagnoses from Caucasian Blackplate (Paul "PB" Birkeland) on the bottlehead forum (Doc must have him hard wired into the computer) with a almost instant response just a few moments later.
Very impressive customer service well done and thank you Bottlehead.
So after a few quick questions and answers it looks like I shorted out the LED on the adjacent high voltage pin with the end of the testing probe. I am very thankful that nothing more serious was damaged, including myself as this was the very first time I had ever used a multi meter its a good lesson to learn for later on.
Looking on the positive side while I wait for a replacement LED I will be able to finish off the case. Which may not have happened so soon if I had started enjoying listening
to the Crack.
Edit I meant to add
Be very careful when you start probing your Crack!
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/26/13 at 1:00pmpost #3313 of 812911/26/13 at 11:50ampost #3314 of 812911/26/13 at 12:38pm
Sorry to hear that, Jamie .
I have to second your comment about Bottlehead service. When I posted a question here about the SpeedBall assembly, Doc answered in minutes. When I purchased the unit, Eileen was friendly and prompt both over email and on the phone. I suspect Bottlehead is having a hard time filling orders for some of their items and it is with good reason.post #3315 of 812911/26/13 at 2:14pm
Thanks for the kind words guys. We do continually run behind on delivery. It makes some folks a little perturbed in the era of Amazon free two day shipping (for only $70 a year) and Netflix streaming HD movies (with no surround sound). But this isn't a mass market product we are offering. We carefully prep and pack everything in house, I even brush all the chassis panels myself. This year we hired more staff to concentrate on order fulfillment (Josh) and one of the benefits has been about a 27% increase in business. So we kinda ended up at status quo on delivery time even with the extra help. That said, we are as caught up right now as we have been in a few months. Some of you might not know we have a delivery status web page linked to our shopping cart's main page, that gets updates whenever we complete a packing and shipping run. You can look at where we are at on orders and get some feel for how long the wait might be for your kit.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 12 seconds ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 55 seconds ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 1 minute ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › What song drops the deepest bass? 2 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 2 minutes ago
- › Official New York Spring Meet Sat June 10 2017 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Wyrd with 2 PYST USB Cables 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear