Last few weeks, someone gave me the worst advice I ever get. He asked me to get Crack, and use my credit card. Thanks to that guy, now I'm waiting for my Christmas present even though Santa didn't like me for being naught this year.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 11/30/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
From the Doukaudio website: "Shenzheng Cavins Technology Co.,LTD has been established since 2014.. We are devoted to design and research of hi-end level of audio equipments under our own brand...
Brainwavz Intro ABOUT US Brainwavz provides high-end earphones specifically designed for high-quality sound and tailor-made to provide the user with a solution that can be used across a wide range...
Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD A Serious Common Denominator | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | INTRODUCTION Angles of Approach There’s always been a certain connotation...
http://www.fidue.com/content/view?brand=fidue_en&item=81&core=news Fidue have been active for some years now and they seem to have release great quality products / earphones. Personally,...
Beyerdynamic has been a tried and true brand for me over the years. In fact, their T70p was my first ever headphone I purchased over $200 (how the times have changed). Their quality and...
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 221
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #3302 of 797711/23/13 at 11:06pmpost #3303 of 797711/24/13 at 1:13am
Little update I unexpectedly had a afternoon free on Saturday so with some trepidation and a pair of shaky hands was able to make a start on wiring up the crack.
Those pesky little LED's are a tad fiddly but are now in and I haven't melted anything yet and have only burnt me little pinkie once. Up to page 29 now but minus the 22.1K ohm 1W resistor as I did not have the meter with me to check it was correct the bands also looked different to the picture.
Happy to say its been a blast so far.
Also much to my relief my practice soldering was done with some 60/40 solder but for the actual build I have some 63/37 Cardas Eutectic solder. This turned out to be a lot more user friendly to solder with than the 60/40;
Also who ever gave the tip of using those medical forceps which lock super idea these have been very handy to hold bits steady or use as heat sinks when soldering the LED's and any other bits close to plastic which I might have melted.
Work in progress pic.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/24/13 at 1:18ampost #3304 of 797711/24/13 at 7:32ampost #3305 of 797711/24/13 at 11:36am
Cheers Paul I am kicking back for the rest of the evening and having a beer the Cracks assembled (minus speedball) and I will tackle the resistance and volt checks to tomorrow with fresh eyes . Internals took me about 7hrs total, 4hrs yesterday and 3hrs today.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/24/13 at 11:37ampost #3306 of 797711/25/13 at 12:36amQuote:
Clean build..good job mate. When you're done with the spedball, post some more picspost #3307 of 797711/25/13 at 4:42ampost #3308 of 797711/25/13 at 3:18pm
quick question. I am thinking of buying a Bottlehead Crack to go with some HD650's relatively soon. Partly because I think they would be a lot of fun, and a great learning experience to build, and also because I've heard that they are an A++ pairing with the 650's.
That said, I will be running them from my PC, which has an ASUS Xonar DX card. I am wondering if that will be sufficient to use, or if I should be looking to pair it with a different DAC? This will be my first foray into tubes, so I am hoping that someone in this forum has experience with that particular setup that might be able to she some light.
Thanks sirs.post #3309 of 797711/25/13 at 3:39pmpost #3310 of 797711/25/13 at 5:17pmpost #3311 of 797711/25/13 at 8:25pmQuote:
Great advice. By starting with a Crack with your existing sound card you can hear the difference made by using the Crack and can then notice the upgrade improvements of a future DAC upgrade.post #3312 of 797711/26/13 at 11:00am
I have gone and shot myself in the foot while doing the voltage checks (face palms self)!
Resistance checks were all good and very close to those in the spec.
Voltage checks all good and going well until a LED went out while testing the octal socket terminals.
Very fast diagnoses from Caucasian Blackplate (Paul "PB" Birkeland) on the bottlehead forum (Doc must have him hard wired into the computer) with a almost instant response just a few moments later.
Very impressive customer service well done and thank you Bottlehead.
So after a few quick questions and answers it looks like I shorted out the LED on the adjacent high voltage pin with the end of the testing probe. I am very thankful that nothing more serious was damaged, including myself as this was the very first time I had ever used a multi meter its a good lesson to learn for later on.
Looking on the positive side while I wait for a replacement LED I will be able to finish off the case. Which may not have happened so soon if I had started enjoying listening
to the Crack.
Edit I meant to add
Be very careful when you start probing your Crack!
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/26/13 at 1:00pmpost #3313 of 797711/26/13 at 11:50ampost #3314 of 797711/26/13 at 12:38pm
Sorry to hear that, Jamie .
I have to second your comment about Bottlehead service. When I posted a question here about the SpeedBall assembly, Doc answered in minutes. When I purchased the unit, Eileen was friendly and prompt both over email and on the phone. I suspect Bottlehead is having a hard time filling orders for some of their items and it is with good reason.post #3315 of 797711/26/13 at 2:14pm
Thanks for the kind words guys. We do continually run behind on delivery. It makes some folks a little perturbed in the era of Amazon free two day shipping (for only $70 a year) and Netflix streaming HD movies (with no surround sound). But this isn't a mass market product we are offering. We carefully prep and pack everything in house, I even brush all the chassis panels myself. This year we hired more staff to concentrate on order fulfillment (Josh) and one of the benefits has been about a 27% increase in business. So we kinda ended up at status quo on delivery time even with the extra help. That said, we are as caught up right now as we have been in a few months. Some of you might not know we have a delivery status web page linked to our shopping cart's main page, that gets updates whenever we complete a packing and shipping run. You can look at where we are at on orders and get some feel for how long the wait might be for your kit.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › IC: Violectric HPA V181 28 seconds ago
- › New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3 40 seconds ago
- › New Inear Prophile-8 2 minutes ago
- › 👍DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, AK380, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1,... 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › What's your foobar2000 setup? 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 7 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 8 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 9 minutes ago
- › Nobsound NS-01E Mini Tube Headphone Amplifier Stereo HiFi Amp Audio... by crabdog
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by Wokei
- › Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by DynamikeB
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by Army-Firedawg
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by Johannus
- › LZ-A4 by peter123
- › Etymotic ER4XR by leaky74
- › Etymotic ER4SR by leaky74
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by sonickarma
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear