That's a great thought. It's how the sockets are mounted on the S.E.X. too (although those sockets use a rubber damper of sorts between the chassis plate and socket body).
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Eddie Current's Zana Deux reviewed... Pre-amble - the Zana Deux original vs the new Zana Deux Super... - There are two versions of this tube amplifier. Both are output transformerless (OTL)...
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
Alright, so I am not an audiophile by any means, my entire experience of headphelia is just using cheap IEMs but after trying some expensive beats, I knew I needed something more. And if your like...
This is a review of Audeze EL-8C closed back planar magnetic full size headphones: https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-closed-back, with a bonus review of Audeze Deckard desktop...
Preface: Nothing too technical here; just wanted to give my impression as someone that had to "downgrade" from the HE-400's recently and has tried dozens of full-sized cans. I have had these things...
- Headphone Impedance
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 217
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Yeah, my secret sauce for that was that I used a small amount of Blue Tack to dampen the tube socket from the chassis. I really put alot of attention to detail in my build so it can perform at its finest :)
I was sat gazing fondly at my newly fitted out top plate and then started wondering, I'm not sure if this will be ok but what do you guys think about mounting the 12au7 socket from underneath rather than from the top it gets that retaining ring out of sight and the socket slightly lower giving a flusher look. Can anyone think of any issues with doing this?
Its still firmly secured and the tube fits in and out without any problems.
And of course painting that wooden base black with lots of gloss varnish.
Edited by ben_r_ - 11/16/13 at 8:54pm
I had actually bought some of those exact Belton sockets, but decided against using them. I would've had to drill out the top plate, and even then they would stick out pretty far out the top.
Thanks for the socket links, perhaps next time.
Yes the white sockets would have been nice black the power tube covers its socket completely with the 12au7 it does show a little around the edge. A bit of masking tape a few toothpicks and some of the wife's black nail varnish will take care of the white tube socket surrounds later on.
Black was considered as well as a carbon covered enclosure but I was worried a high gloss piano black or a full carbon finish would change the character to much it would lose those instantly recognisable Bottlehead good looks that set the brand apart from all those other off the shelf black boxed bits of hifi and also I really didn't want yet another black box.
That's the great thing with the Crack you can more or less do what you like in the looks department. That steam punk rusty looking pic that the Doc posted I think is awesome.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/17/13 at 1:19am
Nice purchase where did you get it from?
I'm in the process of selling the Crack and the deal is almost done. Now I wanted to make a video to show that the crack is working so I just plugged a VModa M100 just to show that it works. I was not expecting the sound to be any good since the m100 are 32ohm. I was stunned on how good the sound is, treble mids bass it's all there. Bass goes very deep and has good impact. What gives? I know that the crack only works with headphones over 150ohm and it sounds better than my sherwood receiver . If the LCD-X arrives and I still have the Crack I will be sure the give it a try.
My crack has speedball and Mundorf M-caps as output, everything else is standard.
Damn good find. For $110, it seems to be a good deal...Nowadays even ts5998s are easily +$100
RE Tung sol 5998s l found TC tubes to be very helpful and great to deal with I brought the last few5998's they had in which they described as tested and as new. They where in fact NOS but they don't like to use that term for some reason. They arrived complete with test results and very well packaged. They even gave me a deal on shipping for free which saved me $45 as a deal on buying the last few of their stock at the time.
I just checked they have a 4 more in now in at $72.75 each
"This tube tests as new with balanced sections and very low noise. It was tested at typical operating voltages on a laboratory grade Amplitrex AT1000. This testing process also includes screening for gas, heater-cathode leakage, and shorts. This tube has also been screened for noise and excessive microphonics in our OTL headphone amp"
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/17/13 at 10:54am
There is nothing wrong with mounting the 9 pin socket from the bottom side of the chassis. If anything, it can be a little awkward when getting the nuts to sit against the retainer ring.
Belton sockets are nice (when they are available), though I don't get too excited thinking about a plastic socket sitting under a hot 6080.
Guys, before I decide to get Crack or not I want to ask few questions.
- What is the sound for HD600+ Crack? Warm, neutral, bright? I read in review that Crack is neutral and fast. After spending times with warm amp and thick sound amp, I love warm, and fast sound. I afraid that the highs will be ear piercing in neutral amp, or perhaps Crack get them in control?
- Should I get the speedball or not for HD600? How much sound improvement from basic kit to speeball?
- What DAC recommended with crack and HD600, price wise about $300 and below. The cheaper the better.
Currently my alternative is LF 336C due to:
- Warm sound. But the downside is this amp more relax compared to Crack and I listened to heavy metal etc too.
- Easier to obtained and less hassle.
I'm open to other solid state amp for HD600 too within the same prize. Currently my DAC is Aune T1, upgrade in consideration. All my consideration done without listening to the mention amp. So, forgive me for my silly question. I just want to avoid too much upgradetitis.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 36 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 46 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 52 seconds ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 1 minute ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post... 2 minutes ago
- › Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 /... 2 minutes ago
- › Which beyerdynamic for gaming? 2 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 3 minutes ago
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by krishtrinity1
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by RedJohn456
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by nmatheis
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3