That's a great thought. It's how the sockets are mounted on the S.E.X. too (although those sockets use a rubber damper of sorts between the chassis plate and socket body).
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
https://store.thinksound.com/ I would like to give a hearty thanks to Thinksound's Aaron Fournier for reaching out to me for this review. I was provided with a review sample of the ON2...
This is a review of the Burson Audio Cable+ RCA to RCA active cable. The Burson Audio Cable+ was sent to me by Burson Audio for me as a loaner unit to test it out, thanks to Burson Audio for...
Most people balk at spending more than $20 on a pair of headphones, given the disposable history of a typical portable consumer headphones for the past 35 years. Music lovers who do invest in a...
It’s Black Friday, and what’s more black than to buy a good pair of headphones for your favorite rocker or metalhead. Today the headphone audiophile community is buzzing about what may become a...
The evolution of headphones has been fascinating to watch over the years. Pretty much everyone aged 50 and younger has grown up using headphones, and have owned many, many pairs. Some may remember...
- Headphone Impedance
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 217
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Yeah, my secret sauce for that was that I used a small amount of Blue Tack to dampen the tube socket from the chassis. I really put alot of attention to detail in my build so it can perform at its finest :)
I was sat gazing fondly at my newly fitted out top plate and then started wondering, I'm not sure if this will be ok but what do you guys think about mounting the 12au7 socket from underneath rather than from the top it gets that retaining ring out of sight and the socket slightly lower giving a flusher look. Can anyone think of any issues with doing this?
Its still firmly secured and the tube fits in and out without any problems.
And of course painting that wooden base black with lots of gloss varnish.
Edited by ben_r_ - 11/16/13 at 8:54pm
I had actually bought some of those exact Belton sockets, but decided against using them. I would've had to drill out the top plate, and even then they would stick out pretty far out the top.
Thanks for the socket links, perhaps next time.
Yes the white sockets would have been nice black the power tube covers its socket completely with the 12au7 it does show a little around the edge. A bit of masking tape a few toothpicks and some of the wife's black nail varnish will take care of the white tube socket surrounds later on.
Black was considered as well as a carbon covered enclosure but I was worried a high gloss piano black or a full carbon finish would change the character to much it would lose those instantly recognisable Bottlehead good looks that set the brand apart from all those other off the shelf black boxed bits of hifi and also I really didn't want yet another black box.
That's the great thing with the Crack you can more or less do what you like in the looks department. That steam punk rusty looking pic that the Doc posted I think is awesome.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/17/13 at 1:19am
Nice purchase where did you get it from?
I'm in the process of selling the Crack and the deal is almost done. Now I wanted to make a video to show that the crack is working so I just plugged a VModa M100 just to show that it works. I was not expecting the sound to be any good since the m100 are 32ohm. I was stunned on how good the sound is, treble mids bass it's all there. Bass goes very deep and has good impact. What gives? I know that the crack only works with headphones over 150ohm and it sounds better than my sherwood receiver . If the LCD-X arrives and I still have the Crack I will be sure the give it a try.
My crack has speedball and Mundorf M-caps as output, everything else is standard.
Damn good find. For $110, it seems to be a good deal...Nowadays even ts5998s are easily +$100
RE Tung sol 5998s l found TC tubes to be very helpful and great to deal with I brought the last few5998's they had in which they described as tested and as new. They where in fact NOS but they don't like to use that term for some reason. They arrived complete with test results and very well packaged. They even gave me a deal on shipping for free which saved me $45 as a deal on buying the last few of their stock at the time.
I just checked they have a 4 more in now in at $72.75 each
"This tube tests as new with balanced sections and very low noise. It was tested at typical operating voltages on a laboratory grade Amplitrex AT1000. This testing process also includes screening for gas, heater-cathode leakage, and shorts. This tube has also been screened for noise and excessive microphonics in our OTL headphone amp"
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/17/13 at 10:54am
There is nothing wrong with mounting the 9 pin socket from the bottom side of the chassis. If anything, it can be a little awkward when getting the nuts to sit against the retainer ring.
Belton sockets are nice (when they are available), though I don't get too excited thinking about a plastic socket sitting under a hot 6080.
Guys, before I decide to get Crack or not I want to ask few questions.
- What is the sound for HD600+ Crack? Warm, neutral, bright? I read in review that Crack is neutral and fast. After spending times with warm amp and thick sound amp, I love warm, and fast sound. I afraid that the highs will be ear piercing in neutral amp, or perhaps Crack get them in control?
- Should I get the speedball or not for HD600? How much sound improvement from basic kit to speeball?
- What DAC recommended with crack and HD600, price wise about $300 and below. The cheaper the better.
Currently my alternative is LF 336C due to:
- Warm sound. But the downside is this amp more relax compared to Crack and I listened to heavy metal etc too.
- Easier to obtained and less hassle.
I'm open to other solid state amp for HD600 too within the same prize. Currently my DAC is Aune T1, upgrade in consideration. All my consideration done without listening to the mention amp. So, forgive me for my silly question. I just want to avoid too much upgradetitis.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread 1 minute ago
- › Nocs NS800 Stainless Earphones; are they any good? 2 minutes ago
- › The Future of Audio pops up in New York City 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 4 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 6 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 6 minutes ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 7 minutes ago
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by Dsnuts
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by peter123
- › BeyerDynamic DT 1990 PRO 250 Ohm Open Studio Headphones (710490) by Fastnbulbous
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by Fastnbulbous
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Fastnbulbous
- › 1MORE MK801 Over-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and Remote... by glassmonkey
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by zamroni
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless by Rafique Adzam
- › Mcdodo Lightning to Audio Cable (for iPhone 7) w/ charging function by Webkarma
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...