Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 215

post #3211 of 5982

Currently listening to my DT990/600s on the crack. 

 

:) so good.

 

EDIT: GIFs dont work?

post #3212 of 5982
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
 

Currently listening to my DT990/600s on the crack. 

 

:) so good.

 

EDIT: GIFs dont work?

post #3213 of 5982
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

 

How? I put the link in as a pic and it didnt work. 

 

post #3214 of 5982
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
 

 

How? I put the link in as a pic and it didnt work. 

send me the link, and I can tell you what happened.

post #3215 of 5982
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

send me the link, and I can tell you what happened.

 

edit: it works, just make sure you include the entire link under "use url"

post #3216 of 5982
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

Paul thanks, I started reading  from the start of this thread the other day and shortly after reading your post also came across a few more to do with that 14U area. Drills I have plenty of what I didn't have was a soldering iron so after a visit to the local electrical outlet today I now have a solder station and will have a practice at soldering tomorrow. I Also noticed they had a large selection of led lights which got me thinking about perhaps fitting some kind of down lighting or a pilot light after I have it up and running.

 

I am enjoying the build so far thinking through the process and exploring ideas for feet, knobs, finish etc its not often I build something for myself.

 

Making progress covering the bell end of the power transformer with a cosmetic layer of carbon fiber.

 

 

Add vacuum and heat

 

 

A little sanding and after flooding on some clear

 

 

That, Sir, is friggin' amazing!  
 
What is the plan for the wood base?  If it's 10% as cool as the bell, we are all in for a treat!
post #3217 of 5982

post #3218 of 5982
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpaulie View Post
 

 

 

Hi Paul, plans for the wood base well err perhaps not what you or I was expecting, I even surprised myself to be honest. Considering I am lucky enough to have a small boatbuilding shop with a fair bit of woodworking machinery and timber in the racks! But after consideration of several ideas of what might be done the decision (for now) was not to mess to much with the standard Alder case with a clear Norwegian wood oil finish. It has a classic & clean look to it which I like and hopefully should go well with the contrasting black carbon top.

 

By the way I am going to need a awful lot more practice with a soldering iron before I allow myself anywhere near the Crack!


Edited by JamieMcC - 11/13/13 at 3:30pm
post #3219 of 5982

Well, I'm absolutely delighted with my Crack.

 

It arrived a couple of weeks ago to the UK and after a fairly tricky build (no experience, bit of a fat-handed oaf, impatient, tired - classic combo) and some very patient help from Doc and PB over on the forum, my HD650s are absolutely singing! I've been listening to a bit of Aja and Random Access Memories and the drums and bass are - pardon my French - ******* astonishing. Classical (which I never thought was a particular forte of the HD650s) has been making me well up, the way the strings swell and fade...shudder. Best of all, though, and quite surprisingly, is electronic music. I've listened to Daft Punk's Homework more times over the last 15 years than I've made pasta and Thomas Bangalter's description of 'orgasmic analogue noise' has never seemed so true. I've never heard or felt so much physicality or 3D movement to those squelching loops, nor so much precision and punch to the 909s. I think I'm starting to understand the tube fetish. The only downside is that I have to come to work and wait another nine hours until I can plug myself back in. Fortunately, the missus is out all night so I can queue up a bourbon and get deaf.

post #3220 of 5982
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrraymond View Post
 

Well, I'm absolutely delighted with my Crack.

 

It arrived a couple of weeks ago to the UK and after a fairly tricky build (no experience, bit of a fat-handed oaf, impatient, tired - classic combo) and some very patient help from Doc and PB over on the forum, my HD650s are absolutely singing! I've been listening to a bit of Aja and Random Access Memories and the drums and bass are - pardon my French - ******* astonishing. Classical (which I never thought was a particular forte of the HD650s) has been making me well up, the way the strings swell and fade...shudder. Best of all, though, and quite surprisingly, is electronic music. I've listened to Daft Punk's Homework more times over the last 15 years than I've made pasta and Thomas Bangalter's description of 'orgasmic analogue noise' has never seemed so true. I've never heard or felt so much physicality or 3D movement to those squelching loops, nor so much precision and punch to the 909s. I think I'm starting to understand the tube fetish. The only downside is that I have to come to work and wait another nine hours until I can plug myself back in. Fortunately, the missus is out all night so I can queue up a bourbon and get deaf.

 

Sounds like a great night ahead!!

 

Congrats on the new build and all the pleasure that awaits.

 

Speaking of great sounding stuff, if anyone wants a treat and likes beautifully sculpted indie rock music (or just a great album of great music), check out Inuit by Ramona Falls - I'm listening to it now on the Crack with Beyer T1s - flat-out awesome!!

post #3221 of 5982

Many thanks, and that's a good tip, too. Cracking record.

 

On a separate note: I'm using the Fiio E7 (OG edition) as a DAC with my Crack & HD650s. Now, given that I'm predisposed to emptying my wallet out into someone else's pockets each payday, is a better DAC something that will make a significant difference in this chain? In my mind, it's the least important element but that's just my conscience talking so we can discount it.

 

Would an Uberfrost, say, take things to a higher gear or are we just talking go faster stripes?

post #3222 of 5982
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrraymond View Post
 

Many thanks, and that's a good tip, too. Cracking record.

 

On a separate note: I'm using the Fiio E7 (OG edition) as a DAC with my Crack & HD650s. Now, given that I'm predisposed to emptying my wallet out into someone else's pockets each payday, is a better DAC something that will make a significant difference in this chain? In my mind, it's the least important element but that's just my conscience talking so we can discount it.

 

Would an Uberfrost, say, take things to a higher gear or are we just talking go faster stripes?

 

Yes and yes. With a bit of a caveat: if you're an Old Guy (tm) like me, you might think carefully on whether or not you could hear the difference between, say, a Schiit Modi and a Schiit Bifrost. The cost difference alone is enough to make me thing twice.

 

But honestly, I avoid anything made by Fiio. My only experience with anything made by that company was negative. I'll never buy their stuff again.

 

I do own a Schiit Modi, and it is an awesome DAC. How much better is it, over a Fiio E7? I can't say. And I'm not going to buy a Fiio to find out.

 

Those who have both Schiit Modi and Bifrost, seem to say that the Bifrost Uber is a noticeable improvement over the Modi. The rest of your gear is definitely enough to hear the difference. So if you've got $520 clams to drop on the Bifrost, do it. If not, personally, I would sell the E7 and buy a Modi.

 

(oh and PS: hello thread. I've been lurking for a while. The Crack is on the top of my list for my next amp.)


Edited by UmustBKidn - 11/15/13 at 3:01am
post #3223 of 5982
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrraymond View Post
 

Many thanks, and that's a good tip, too. Cracking record.

 

On a separate note: I'm using the Fiio E7 (OG edition) as a DAC with my Crack & HD650s. Now, given that I'm predisposed to emptying my wallet out into someone else's pockets each payday, is a better DAC something that will make a significant difference in this chain? In my mind, it's the least important element but that's just my conscience talking so we can discount it.

 

Would an Uberfrost, say, take things to a higher gear or are we just talking go faster stripes?

 

Not to discredit the last poster (we all perceive things differently), my experience is that the DAC ABSOLUTELY will make a difference.

 

The E7 is a nice unit, but it's an entry-level device.

 

The step from a decent DAC (like the E7) won't be massive like the step from a PC headphone jack to a dedicated DAC, but it is noticeable if the other parts of the chain are good (and Crack + HD650 = good :D).

 

My first step was an Audio-gd DAC which has been brilliant and outperformed everything lower-level DAC I tried (AudioQuest DragonFly, Soundblaster X-Fi, AK100, etc.) What it did for my sound was provide a larger stage and better clarity and resolution. It wasn't a night and day leap like going from onboard to external DAC, but it was definitely noticeable and obvious.

 

The step up from the Audio-gd to the Matrix X-Sabre was also obvious and is showing it's potential as I continue to upgrade the amps I use with it. (The Bottlehead S.E.X. is currently blowing my mind having just finished installing the C4S upgrade)

post #3224 of 5982

AudioQuest DragonFly is an excellent DAC IMO..much better than the Fiio dacs.

On another note, what power tubes ae you using?? Anyone has had a listen with the 6080wb by Bendix?

post #3225 of 5982
Try the Light Harmonic Geek Out or if you could wait, the Geek Pulse.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL