It's very simple, good experience, you can't really break anything, and you'll have something potentially useful when you're finished.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
These have nice dynamics and are flatter than some headphones. Despite that the low-end still has enough gusto to bring tracks to life. Another benefit is the detachable cable which uses a 5N OFC...
Disclaimer: I am in not associated with any company; my views are mine, and my own. The Thinksound Rain2 is the newest IEM produced and designed by the environmentally friendly company...
Introduction: When I first came accross the AudioMinor in e-bay I was surprised that the seller is located in the country where I live: Turkey. I have contacted with the company owner/ebay...
For those if you who know me, you know i prefer the FR curve to be as neutral as possible. I have the Etymotic ER4s (ER4p with Etymotic's 75 ohm converter cable), had the HF5, and tried many...
Around 2009, the rumbling and chatter at Headfi.org was getting louder… It was beginning to roar. There was mention of a DIY designer who had an amp that would not only change headphone...
- Headphone Impedance
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 213
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Also, don't be daunted by the Speedball.
It's definitely worth "cutting your teeth" on the stock Crack build first, but you'll be fine with just a little patience and care. Another benefit with separating the 2 builds (Crack and Speedball) is hearing the difference with and without the SB.
As some others here have wisely advised, you may want to install the plastic spacers for the Speedball during your initial build even if you're not doing the SB straight away.
I think I'll just buy the base kit now and the speedball later. Like a lot of others, I don't have any soldering experience, but I plan on calling my dad and spending an evening or two working on this with him. Does it matter what type of solder you use? Since I'm sure he doesn't have the highest quality stuff.
Standard 60/40 solder is best for beginners. Further, get some with a small diameter so you can work with it very easily.
I happen to like Kester 245 solder. From memory, .031" is a good diameter to use.
As I had a piece of carbon fibre left over already and would have needed to buy some paint for the top plate I decided to cut a piece to fit and see how it looked. After first assembling the wooden enclosure which has had its first coat of some Danish oil which I had left over.
I still need to cut the holes out but gives a feel for how it will look. (I later glued the carbon fibre sheet on to the alloy top plate in case anyone is wondering).
I did plan to start the build the day before during my lunch break. However the marina next door decided to start its November the 5th bonfire (Its Guy Fawkes Day in the UK we celebrate with bonfires and fireworks) at midday so decided to watch that instead they spent about £3 million on the bonfire! The radar mast I help build a few years back can be seen well alight.
video from the local news.
The boat later sank at her berth around midnight.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/10/13 at 4:03pm
just wanted to give a tip on painting the transformer bell. I sanded the bell, dusted and washed it, sanded it with 420 grit paper, but still got some texturing or bubbling when the gloss paint was applied.
After removing all the paint with paint remover (mineral spirits) I applied the paint again (rustoleum universal gloss black), perfectly smooth and self leveling.
Make sure you use a chemical cleaner on the bell before applying the paint. It will go so much easier!
I just finished building my new Crack earlier today. I have the SpeedBall still in the back. I figure I should leave if for another weekend!
On my desk next to my "to file" pile... I guess it's getting out of control, eh?
And in the dark.
The first two hours with the amp were a little disappointing. It sounded harsh. It's warmed up... A LOT. It's really a lovely sounding amp.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 43 seconds ago
- › Music City Meet Vol. 3 -- Nashville, TN -- Spring 2015 (April 18,... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › NVX XPT100 (HM5 clone) - nonexistent bass, tinny and artificial... 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 4 minutes ago
- › Nice Competition: Alclair, Native DSD, Music Direct & iFi Audio... 5 minutes ago
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Etymotic Research Isolator MK5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by eyal1983
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold by Frank I
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Inks
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Hifi Enthusiast
- › Schiit Vali by CEE TEE
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by ClieOS
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by potatoe94
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3