It's very simple, good experience, you can't really break anything, and you'll have something potentially useful when you're finished.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This is my first audiophile grade headphone and I truly believe that this is a brilliant introduction to how awesome music can sound! I live is South Africa, a country that is renowned for...
When i bough these i had no id'ea how they would sound. I read some reviews but it is a iem that was flying under the radar and kind of hide in the shadow of the BA200 which is TDK's flagship (...
Disclaimer I got this unit as part of Australasian tour arranged by Brooko, thank you very much for including me in this tour. Introduction I am just another music fans in this world, I...
First and foremost, I have experience with several different headphones, namely much of the Ultrasone series (Pro 900, Pro 750), Denon D2000, D5000, and Fostex TH600. I mainly deal with closed back...
The housing has a rounder shape then the vsd3/5 and i much prefer it this way. While the shape and looks is simple, it does not feel very cheap. The diamond cut shape on the vsd3/5 seems a little...
- Headphone Impedance
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 213
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Also, don't be daunted by the Speedball.
It's definitely worth "cutting your teeth" on the stock Crack build first, but you'll be fine with just a little patience and care. Another benefit with separating the 2 builds (Crack and Speedball) is hearing the difference with and without the SB.
As some others here have wisely advised, you may want to install the plastic spacers for the Speedball during your initial build even if you're not doing the SB straight away.
I think I'll just buy the base kit now and the speedball later. Like a lot of others, I don't have any soldering experience, but I plan on calling my dad and spending an evening or two working on this with him. Does it matter what type of solder you use? Since I'm sure he doesn't have the highest quality stuff.
Standard 60/40 solder is best for beginners. Further, get some with a small diameter so you can work with it very easily.
I happen to like Kester 245 solder. From memory, .031" is a good diameter to use.
As I had a piece of carbon fibre left over already and would have needed to buy some paint for the top plate I decided to cut a piece to fit and see how it looked. After first assembling the wooden enclosure which has had its first coat of some Danish oil which I had left over.
I still need to cut the holes out but gives a feel for how it will look. (I later glued the carbon fibre sheet on to the alloy top plate in case anyone is wondering).
I did plan to start the build the day before during my lunch break. However the marina next door decided to start its November the 5th bonfire (Its Guy Fawkes Day in the UK we celebrate with bonfires and fireworks) at midday so decided to watch that instead they spent about £3 million on the bonfire! The radar mast I help build a few years back can be seen well alight.
video from the local news.
The boat later sank at her berth around midnight.
Edited by JamieMcC - 11/10/13 at 4:03pm
just wanted to give a tip on painting the transformer bell. I sanded the bell, dusted and washed it, sanded it with 420 grit paper, but still got some texturing or bubbling when the gloss paint was applied.
After removing all the paint with paint remover (mineral spirits) I applied the paint again (rustoleum universal gloss black), perfectly smooth and self leveling.
Make sure you use a chemical cleaner on the bell before applying the paint. It will go so much easier!
I just finished building my new Crack earlier today. I have the SpeedBall still in the back. I figure I should leave if for another weekend!
On my desk next to my "to file" pile... I guess it's getting out of control, eh?
And in the dark.
The first two hours with the amp were a little disappointing. It sounded harsh. It's warmed up... A LOT. It's really a lovely sounding amp.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths just now
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 59 seconds ago
- › New Kennerton ODIN (Planar Magnetic), MAGISTER, VALI... 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 3 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 4 minutes ago
- › New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP!... 4 minutes ago
- › how to mp3s on a home stereo without using a computer...? 5 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › Rant - unresanable buyer wants to return items. 7 minutes ago
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by biggysmalls
- › TDK IE800 by Arvan
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by daduy
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by sarora
- › VSONIC VSD 2S by Arvan
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by weirdek
- › Chord Hugo by FortisFlyer75
- › Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones by Johannus
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2