Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 3

post #31 of 6116
Nice project!

Doc, let say you want to upgrade the volume pot with a ELMA type (I have the ones from goldpoint in mine Foreplay III) how many k ohms are suited for this kit?
post #32 of 6116
We use a 100K ohm stereo pot. While we are on the subject, some pots and switches have slightly different locations for that little lug that keeps the body from spinning, and sometimes you might need to do just a bit of file work at one side or the other of the stock lug hole in the chassis to allow the index lug of a non-stock pot or switch to fit. IIRC the Goldpoints are like that. Very nice attenuators, well worth with that small bit of extra work. Of course they do cost about 3/4 as much as the Crack kit.
post #33 of 6116
sweet will be ordering very soon
post #34 of 6116
If only I had some high impedance cans I would order this ASAP.
post #35 of 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgunder View Post
If only I had some high impedance cans I would order this ASAP.
hmmz i know in my cmoy build u could change the gain by changing resitors....seems like that would be the case here as well if someone really wanted this kit opposed to the sex kit
post #36 of 6116
I just ran across the Crack while browsing the links on the MAD site and just had to have it so ordered it right away. This will be my first build and it doesn't seem as overwhelming as most DIYers I've been looking at. Plus, after finishing the body black laquered it will match my Ear+ nicely. This is going to be fun.

EDIT: Where is Bottlehead located? Can't seem to find it anywhere. I don't even know where my amp will be coming from. lol
post #37 of 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongringo View Post
EDIT: Where is Bottlehead located? Can't seem to find it anywhere. I don't even know where my amp will be coming from. lol
Place called Poulsbo. Next state up from you.

se
post #38 of 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi View Post
Place called Poulsbo. Next state up from you.

se
Thanks, just looked it up. Wow, so close.
post #39 of 6116
still trying to think of a finish for mine as well
post #40 of 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongringo View Post
Thanks, just looked it up. Wow, so close.
Yet so far away.

At least until it finally shows up on your doorstep.

se
post #41 of 6116
@Koyaan haha "yet so far away" you aren't kidding.

Does anyone know if it is recommended to paint the aluminum chassis and top of the power supply and, if so, what kind of paint would work? I was thinking maybe car paint.
post #42 of 6116
Take a look at the Gallery at the Bottlehead Forum. Some pretty cool builds to get a bit of inspiration from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongringo View Post
@Koyaan haha "yet so far away" you aren't kidding.

Does anyone know if it is recommended to paint the aluminum chassis and top of the power supply and, if so, what kind of paint would work? I was thinking maybe car paint.
post #43 of 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_s View Post
Take a look at the Gallery at the Bottlehead Forum. Some pretty cool builds to get a bit of inspiration from.
Thanks Well that answered my questions. Lots of good ideas there. Good stuff!
post #44 of 6116
todays the 7th.....shipped? (crosses fingers)
post #45 of 6116
Im feenin man! feenin!......i got these cheese burgers man

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL