- 491 Posts. Joined 12/2011
- Location: Auckland,New Zealand
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction: As a well-known cable maker company, Forza AudioWorks is located in Poland. Its CEO and founder Matthew, a good English speaker and known as ‘’Matez’’ on Head-Fi, is a nice guy to...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My first introduction to Bluetooth earphones came with the Brainwavz Blu-100, and whilst...
Hi my name is Andrew Reddog Jones, I have been into this fantastic hobby for almost two years. I mostly take care of my mother and sometimes fix vcrs. Today I plan on doing a review oh HIFIMAN's...
Suprisingly, this cheap in ear jlab sounded good enough for me to come here and get into better sound.
Ah, the WA7 "Fireflies" from Woo Audio. As stunning to behold as it is to hear! This is my first piece of amp/DAC kit that retails for over $1k and well, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I think...
- Headphone Impedance
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 185
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Good point regarding the HD700s, Adam. I didn't realise they were 150ohm. I haven't heard them, but I would expect less-than-ideal performance pairing the HD700s with the Crack based on my experiences with other <300ohm headphones. To my ears there's just not enough damping of the bass with such a small gap between output impedance and headphone impedance and the sound gets loose and flabby with the the sub-300ohm cans I've tried.
I have briefly tried the HD800 with the Crack and it sounds great (and that was pre-Speedball and pre-GEC brown base tube). From all reports, it's a great option for the price and up to about $1000. I know a fellow Head-Fier that owns and prefers the Woo Fireflies over the Crack (setup as described above), but to me it was more a personal taste thing and the Fireflies cost <$1000. I believe the additional performance brought by the Speedball and right choice of tubes would make it neck-and-neck or even go in the Crack's favour.
I have tried the Fireflies several times with my HD800 (in my home and at a friend's house). I wasnt impressed. There was nothing wrong with it, but it just didnt do anything special - basically sounded like what any well designed, competent, uncolored solid state amp would sound like. In other words, like nothing.
IMO, with the Fireflies, you are paying a premium for form over function. With the Crack, while hardly neutral sounding, you are getting an amp with the ideal coloration for the high impedance Sennheisers. The fact that its so affordable is simply icing on the cake.
Edited by palmfish - 9/27/13 at 7:13pm
I'm currently using Crack with Speedball which I bought freshly assembled from a member at for sale forum. I'm using KEN-RAD 6SN7/VT231 also labeled JAN-CKR which I got from EBay where seller stating they manufactured 1944-1945 plus Chatham 5998 labeled 2399 which I got from a member as local NYC pickup and this combo drives HD700 really great but not better Than Lyr with 6N1P so I don't if getting are more expensive replacement of 6080 tube will give better performance. I also really interested to hear HD800 and T1 with both amps
I would honestly just skip the HD700s and buy the HD800s getting rid of the "should I buy a crack problem"
I honestly agree. The HD700s are too expensive for what they are. The HD800s cost more, but are amazing. The fact that they pair incredibly well with a cheap amp helps mitigate the cost of the cans themselves.
That's a really good point about the price pairing with the Crack. I'd never thought of that before.
Well, I ditched my Fidelio X1's for being more "veiled" than the infamous 650's (which I now own), and just ordered my Crack today. It's gonna be a seriously rough month of waiting...
I've called in some support to help you through this difficult time, mithrandir
It's a great (and funny) support thread for all those waiting for or living without their gear
W/ my BH Crack, I prefer a DACs that's very transparent.. since the Crack/tube will add it's own gentle coloration to the sound. Under $300? If you don't need SPDIF/optical, I'd recommend the ODAC... Stoner Acoustics just came out with the successor to the immensely successful UD100, the UD110 (which has asynchronous USB and does 32-bit hi-res). There's also the forthcoming Light Harmonic GEEK (which has a pre-order sale going now, I think). They've got a very good reputation with their TOTL, cost-no-object "Da Vinci" DAC, so many are excited to see what they bring to the table in their very affordable GEEK DAC/amp.
So it's safe to say you're in a happy place now then! That would be a great pairing with the HD800s. What input tube is that? Cleartop?
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › NEW Sony XBA-300 10 seconds ago
- › McIntosh MHP1000 Headphones Announced in CES 14 seconds ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Tube Rolling Guide 6SN7/6AS7G/6080/5998 20 seconds ago
- › IE80 fakes? 29 seconds ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) 2 minutes ago
- › The Pono Player Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED! 4 minutes ago
- › Forza Audioworks IEM Cables by MikePortnoy
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by reddog
- › JLab JBuds NEON Metal In-Ear Earbuds with Universal Mic for iPhone... by Zantrill
- › WooAudio WA7 Fireflies by JoeDoe
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › SoundFoundations Barracuda PowerMax Elite by YoYo JoKeR
- › Pro-Ject Audio - Hear it One - Audiophile stereo headphone - Black by ForShure
- › DUNU DN-2000J by HiFiChris
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2