- 535 Posts. Joined 12/2011
- Location: Auckland,New Zealand
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
Some "Provenance" to the Brand Name: Ocharaku is a "tea themed" company based in Japan. Focusing on Dynamic Driver IEM's, Ocharaku pushes the envelope when it comes to breaking the negative...
Introduction: The Fischer Audio Totem Paco (FE-131) is a newly released earphone from Fischer Audio. They’re small, built well and sound good. Want to know more? Read on. Below is the...
I was sent a couple of the ShareMe headphones to try recently for review purposes. The name of the company isn't one that I'm familiar with but I have seen various low priced offerings on...
The ANC-G5 active noise canceling headphones can be had from Amazon for 60 USD. How does it compare to the number one noise canceling headphones, the Bose QuietComfort QC20i? Comfort The...
- Headphone Impedance
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 185
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Good point regarding the HD700s, Adam. I didn't realise they were 150ohm. I haven't heard them, but I would expect less-than-ideal performance pairing the HD700s with the Crack based on my experiences with other <300ohm headphones. To my ears there's just not enough damping of the bass with such a small gap between output impedance and headphone impedance and the sound gets loose and flabby with the the sub-300ohm cans I've tried.
I have briefly tried the HD800 with the Crack and it sounds great (and that was pre-Speedball and pre-GEC brown base tube). From all reports, it's a great option for the price and up to about $1000. I know a fellow Head-Fier that owns and prefers the Woo Fireflies over the Crack (setup as described above), but to me it was more a personal taste thing and the Fireflies cost <$1000. I believe the additional performance brought by the Speedball and right choice of tubes would make it neck-and-neck or even go in the Crack's favour.
I have tried the Fireflies several times with my HD800 (in my home and at a friend's house). I wasnt impressed. There was nothing wrong with it, but it just didnt do anything special - basically sounded like what any well designed, competent, uncolored solid state amp would sound like. In other words, like nothing.
IMO, with the Fireflies, you are paying a premium for form over function. With the Crack, while hardly neutral sounding, you are getting an amp with the ideal coloration for the high impedance Sennheisers. The fact that its so affordable is simply icing on the cake.
Edited by palmfish - 9/27/13 at 7:13pm
I'm currently using Crack with Speedball which I bought freshly assembled from a member at for sale forum. I'm using KEN-RAD 6SN7/VT231 also labeled JAN-CKR which I got from EBay where seller stating they manufactured 1944-1945 plus Chatham 5998 labeled 2399 which I got from a member as local NYC pickup and this combo drives HD700 really great but not better Than Lyr with 6N1P so I don't if getting are more expensive replacement of 6080 tube will give better performance. I also really interested to hear HD800 and T1 with both amps
I would honestly just skip the HD700s and buy the HD800s getting rid of the "should I buy a crack problem"
I honestly agree. The HD700s are too expensive for what they are. The HD800s cost more, but are amazing. The fact that they pair incredibly well with a cheap amp helps mitigate the cost of the cans themselves.
That's a really good point about the price pairing with the Crack. I'd never thought of that before.
Well, I ditched my Fidelio X1's for being more "veiled" than the infamous 650's (which I now own), and just ordered my Crack today. It's gonna be a seriously rough month of waiting...
I've called in some support to help you through this difficult time, mithrandir
It's a great (and funny) support thread for all those waiting for or living without their gear
W/ my BH Crack, I prefer a DACs that's very transparent.. since the Crack/tube will add it's own gentle coloration to the sound. Under $300? If you don't need SPDIF/optical, I'd recommend the ODAC... Stoner Acoustics just came out with the successor to the immensely successful UD100, the UD110 (which has asynchronous USB and does 32-bit hi-res). There's also the forthcoming Light Harmonic GEEK (which has a pre-order sale going now, I think). They've got a very good reputation with their TOTL, cost-no-object "Da Vinci" DAC, so many are excited to see what they bring to the table in their very affordable GEEK DAC/amp.
So it's safe to say you're in a happy place now then! That would be a great pairing with the HD800s. What input tube is that? Cleartop?
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Am I a heartless monster... 15 seconds ago
- › Need some advice/help on picking between the ATH R70x and the ATH... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Old cans getting tired, need something as good or better: Sony... 3 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › need help with figuring out my ELC without reference grade gear 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 6 minutes ago
- › Westone MMCX Bluetooth Cable, 78548 by twister6
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Cayin i5 by cleg
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C by Delayeed
- › Cable Matters Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable with... by Gabeh765
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...