- 536 Posts. Joined 12/2011
- Location: Auckland,New Zealand
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 185post #2761 of 83509/27/13 at 6:34pmHave the HD600/800 with the Crack and it certainly beats the Phoenix(balanced)and the WA6 which I had at the same time/before.
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2762 of 83509/27/13 at 6:37pm
Good point regarding the HD700s, Adam. I didn't realise they were 150ohm. I haven't heard them, but I would expect less-than-ideal performance pairing the HD700s with the Crack based on my experiences with other <300ohm headphones. To my ears there's just not enough damping of the bass with such a small gap between output impedance and headphone impedance and the sound gets loose and flabby with the the sub-300ohm cans I've tried.post #2763 of 83509/27/13 at 7:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by Loquah
I have briefly tried the HD800 with the Crack and it sounds great (and that was pre-Speedball and pre-GEC brown base tube). From all reports, it's a great option for the price and up to about $1000. I know a fellow Head-Fier that owns and prefers the Woo Fireflies over the Crack (setup as described above), but to me it was more a personal taste thing and the Fireflies cost <$1000. I believe the additional performance brought by the Speedball and right choice of tubes would make it neck-and-neck or even go in the Crack's favour.
I have tried the Fireflies several times with my HD800 (in my home and at a friend's house). I wasnt impressed. There was nothing wrong with it, but it just didnt do anything special - basically sounded like what any well designed, competent, uncolored solid state amp would sound like. In other words, like nothing.
IMO, with the Fireflies, you are paying a premium for form over function. With the Crack, while hardly neutral sounding, you are getting an amp with the ideal coloration for the high impedance Sennheisers. The fact that its so affordable is simply icing on the cake.
Edited by palmfish - 9/27/13 at 7:13pmpost #2764 of 83509/28/13 at 10:10pm
I'm currently using Crack with Speedball which I bought freshly assembled from a member at for sale forum. I'm using KEN-RAD 6SN7/VT231 also labeled JAN-CKR which I got from EBay where seller stating they manufactured 1944-1945 plus Chatham 5998 labeled 2399 which I got from a member as local NYC pickup and this combo drives HD700 really great but not better Than Lyr with 6N1P so I don't if getting are more expensive replacement of 6080 tube will give better performance. I also really interested to hear HD800 and T1 with both ampspost #2765 of 83509/28/13 at 11:52pmpost #2766 of 83509/29/13 at 12:05amQuote:
I would honestly just skip the HD700s and buy the HD800s getting rid of the "should I buy a crack problem"post #2767 of 83509/29/13 at 1:01amQuote:
I honestly agree. The HD700s are too expensive for what they are. The HD800s cost more, but are amazing. The fact that they pair incredibly well with a cheap amp helps mitigate the cost of the cans themselves.post #2768 of 83509/29/13 at 1:19amQuote:
That's a really good point about the price pairing with the Crack. I'd never thought of that before.post #2769 of 83509/30/13 at 2:48am
Well, I ditched my Fidelio X1's for being more "veiled" than the infamous 650's (which I now own), and just ordered my Crack today. It's gonna be a seriously rough month of waiting...post #2770 of 83509/30/13 at 4:14amQuote:
I've called in some support to help you through this difficult time, mithrandir
It's a great (and funny) support thread for all those waiting for or living without their gearpost #2771 of 83509/30/13 at 9:22ampost #2772 of 83509/30/13 at 10:57am
W/ my BH Crack, I prefer a DACs that's very transparent.. since the Crack/tube will add it's own gentle coloration to the sound. Under $300? If you don't need SPDIF/optical, I'd recommend the ODAC... Stoner Acoustics just came out with the successor to the immensely successful UD100, the UD110 (which has asynchronous USB and does 32-bit hi-res). There's also the forthcoming Light Harmonic GEEK (which has a pre-order sale going now, I think). They've got a very good reputation with their TOTL, cost-no-object "Da Vinci" DAC, so many are excited to see what they bring to the table in their very affordable GEEK DAC/amp.post #2773 of 83509/30/13 at 4:32pmpost #2774 of 83509/30/13 at 5:43pmpost #2775 of 83509/30/13 at 5:54pmQuote:
So it's safe to say you're in a happy place now then! That would be a great pairing with the HD800s. What input tube is that? Cleartop?
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 17 seconds ago
- › The Official Echobox Explorer Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › Chromebook as source? 1 minute ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › New iRiver AK70 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 4 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear