Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 176

post #2626 of 5573
Guys, the balanced version of the V200 essentially already exists. Its called the V181 and I own it. It's wonderful. They may be coming out with a higher-end balanced amp, but I would consider the V181 the balanced version of the V200.

In any case (and I realize I am partially to blame), we should bear in mind that this thread is really about the Crack.

Regards,
Adam
post #2627 of 5573
 
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post

 

Balanced version?? aw man. its a sign. when i upgraded my cable, for my HD650, i did it balanced with an adapter... even though i didnt have any plans to own a balanced amp.  hmm..  any idea on pricing?

 

HA!  Getting a balanced adapter for headphones is the worst... cause I want all my (SE) upstream gear to be balanced now, too.. LOL.

 

No ideas on pricing on the balanced, V200.. but, for me, it's one of those, "close-your-eyes-and-click-buy," type of things.. cause I'm an unabashed, Violectric "fanboy" (lol).  After having owned two of their amps (and presently having one of their DACs), I'm convinced Fried Reim is an extremely tiny human that lives in the folds of my wallet.

post #2628 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcananey View Post

Guys, the balanced version of the V200 essentially already exists. Its called the V181 and I own it. It's wonderful. They may be coming out with a higher-end balanced amp, but I would consider the V181 the balanced version of the V200.

In any case (and I realize I am partially to blame), we should bear in mind that this thread is really about the Crack.

Regards,
Adam

 

All your fault Adam!  last point, i was under the impression that the V181 was a lesser balanced amp. Could be wrong. 

 

In any case, I still have to post more pictures of my Crack that Zashoom built for me.  Absolutely perfect.

post #2629 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentrosa View Post
 

 

As zash said, the resistors beneath the aluminum plate heat it up making it rather warm, as with the tubes, however that's the way amps are, they mostly run warm. I do not find the heat of the crack to be an issue at all. The volume knob is comfortable to the touch, and it's not radiating heat my way as I sit beside it.

 

Good luck :)

 

Thanks a lot for your info!

 

Looks like I need to adjust myself to accomodate it, maybe a good idea to buy it some months later in the winter.

post #2630 of 5573
The heat from the Crack really isn't objectionable at all. I've had amps that really run hot. The Crack isn't one of them.
post #2631 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcananey View Post

Have you heard the LD Mk VIII? To say I am curious about it is a serious understatement...

Also, FWIW, I didn't much like the Beta 22 with any of my other cans either. I don't doubt it's technical sophistication, but as a device for listening to music, it basically seemed like a complete fail TO ME. I know there are people who love their Beta 22s, and I don't want to get into an argument with anyone over this -- I'm just relaying my personal experience in my setup with my cans.

Best regards,
Adam

 

Nope it seemed pointless for me own a VIII when I had the VI+, but I have owned and (still own) some of those amp's you listed including the Crack. The B22 + HD800 = woeful but the B22 + HD600/650 and the LCD2's are really awesome sounding.

post #2632 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcananey View Post

Guys, the balanced version of the V200 essentially already exists. Its called the V181 and I own it. It's wonderful. They may be coming out with a higher-end balanced amp, but I would consider the V181 the balanced version of the V200.

In any case (and I realize I am partially to blame), we should bear in mind that this thread is really about the Crack.

Regards,
Adam

 

Actually that is what I thought at the start as well. The V181 is the balanced version of the V100 not the V200. SE I couldn't pick much difference between the V200 and V181 (neither did I with the V100 and V200).

 

Back on the topic.

post #2633 of 5573

Can anyone comment on a 12BH7 + JH13C combo compared to the usual 12AU7 clear top + 6080, or variants of those 4 tubes? I have them and am curious on impressions.

post #2634 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Can anyone comment on a 12BH7 + JH13C combo compared to the usual 12AU7 clear top + 6080, or variants of those 4 tubes? I have them and am curious on impressions.

Do you mean the 6H13C?

post #2635 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by W0lfd0g View Post
 

Do you mean the 6H13C?

 

oops, yeah i do 

post #2636 of 5573

I personally hate the winged 6H13C 6AS7G Russian equivalent for anything that takes the tube. Rugged, built like a tank and long lasting - indeed, good sounding - No.

post #2637 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

I personally hate the winged 6H13C 6AS7G Russian equivalent for anything that takes the tube. Rugged, built like a tank and long lasting - indeed, good sounding - No.

 

These are the tubes that came with my kit. I think i got the promo tubes. Would a 12BH7 + this RCA 6080 be a good combo, or stick with what's pictured?

post #2638 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

 

These are the tubes that came with my kit. I think i got the promo tubes. Would a 12BH7 + this RCA 6080 be a good combo, or stick with what's pictured?

 

Depends on yourself though. If you like the sound and not curious, don't buy more tubes (it leads to a dirty and addictive habit). 

 

My personal crack uses a Psvane grade A 12AU7 and Ratheon 6080's. 

post #2639 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Depends on yourself though. If you like the sound and not curious, don't buy more tubes (it leads to a dirty and addictive habit). 

My personal crack uses a Psvane grade A 12AU7 and Ratheon 6080's. 

Use a GEC 6AS7G brown base and a 1959 Philips 7316 - Love this combination.

My name is Nathan and I am a tube-aholic.
Edited by W0lfd0g - 9/12/13 at 5:41am
post #2640 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by W0lfd0g View Post


Use a GEC 6AS7G brown base and a 1959 Philips 7316 - Love this combination.

My name is Nathan and I am a tube-aholic.

 

I got over the GEC 6AS7G phase. Good sounding tube but definitely not worth the asking price on ebay nowadays.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL