Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 128

post #1906 of 5573

What DAC ar you guys using with the Crack.  I'm thinking about getting a DAC to pair with my Mac Mini.   

was thinking about starting cheap with either the ODAC, Schiit Modi, or HRT MS II.  Also considering using Amarra with this setup.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

 

I'll be using my HD600's with it.


Edited by Dark Helmet - 6/23/13 at 7:16pm
post #1907 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post

What DAC ar you guys using with the Crack.  I'm thinking about getting a DAC to pair with my Mac Mini.   

was thinking about starting cheap with either the ODAC, Schiit Modi, or HRT MS II.  Also considering using Amarra with this setup.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

 

I'll be using my HD600's with it.

I used to use the HRT MS II, and I found the ODAC was very similar to it.  (I imagine the Modi would be as well.)

 

I'm currently using the HRT MS II+, which is noticeably better than the HRT MS II.  More detailed, better soundstage, etc.

post #1908 of 5573
I'm using Bifrost and now after Uber upgrade it's an absolutely amazing combo.
post #1909 of 5573
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post

What DAC ar you guys using with the Crack.  I'm thinking about getting a DAC to pair with my Mac Mini.   

was thinking about starting cheap with either the ODAC, Schiit Modi, or HRT MS II.  Also considering using Amarra with this setup.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

 

I'll be using my HD600's with it.

 

I'm using the ODAC with my Crack.  I find it to be a terrific DAC that doesn't feel like a bottleneck in the slightest.  In fact, I prefer to use the ODAC over the Violectric V800 with the BH Crack (why?  I'm not entirely sure.. I just like the synergy more for some reason).  I'm tempted to upgrade but it's really difficult to make the move cause the ODAC isn't giving me a reason to buy something else.  It's exceptionally clean, compact, and transparent.

post #1910 of 5573

I went ahead and ordered the Schiit Modi.  It should be here by Friday. I've heard many good things about it, and at $99 it will be my entry into the DAC world.  A no brainer I think.bigsmile_face.gif


Edited by Dark Helmet - 6/25/13 at 9:26pm
post #1911 of 5573

Just a friendly reminder if you guys decide to buy a 6SN7 to 12AU7 adapter (8 pin to 9 pin) from e-bay.  Do not buy it from Lowther Club.  I got one that was crooked and had a glob of solder on one of the pins.  Perhaps mine was a fluke but apparently it's not because he thought it was just fine

 

 After sending him pictures which he asked for his reply was.  It's hand made it's not going to be perfect and to just scrape the solder off or cycle the tube in and out of the socket with the solde glob on thereblink.gif.  I wasn't looking for perfection, I just wanted it to be straight.  I had to open a case with e-bay and the guy has been antagonistic towards me and he is the seller.  After I told him to stop e-mailing me he continues to do so.  Do not buy from this guy.  Bad dude!  

 

To be fair i did call him a moron and an idiotbiggrin.gif (dude was relentless).   I did so after he accused me of saying that I expected a full refund and that I was not going to send it back, which I did not.  Anyway e-bay is well aware of what is going on, but I thought I should warn you guys.

post #1912 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post

I went ahead and ordered the Schiit Modi.  It should be here by Friday. I've heard many good things about it, and at $99 it will be my entry into the DAC world.  A no brainer I think.bigsmile_face.gif

It's definetly a no brainer

I just got delivery ,yesterday of the Magni,I was totally amazed at the SQ.

I'm using it with the Uber Bifrost & the HD800's

I've had a few Schiit amps ,Lyr,Mjolnir,now this..it even drives my Maddogs,perfectly.

 

Going to order the M&M combo ,for my daughter ,whose in college-it will be perfect for her dorm audio setup.

 

Good luck Dark Helmet,with the new toy

post #1913 of 5573

I am running a G.E. JAN 5998A Sylvania JAN 6080WC (black plate) power tube right now.  Rolled in an Amperex 12AU7 as the driver tube.  Result was a very solid state sounding amp.  My Crack has the Speedball upgrade and 100uF metallized polypropylene output capacitors.

 

I then switched to a G.E. E80CC driver and it resulted in a very different sounding amp to me.  More tubey, better sound stage, just more fun to listen to.

 

EDIT - I should have put my glasses on, the actual power tube I am running is a Sylvania JAN 6080WC (black plate)


Edited by BmWr75 - 7/1/13 at 2:10pm
post #1914 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

It's definetly a no brainer
I just got delivery ,yesterday of the Magni,I was totally amazed at the SQ.
I'm using it with the Uber Bifrost & the HD800's
I've had a few Schiit amps ,Lyr,Mjolnir,now this..it even drives my Maddogs,perfectly.

Going to order the M&M combo ,for my daughter ,whose in college-it will be perfect for her dorm audio setup.

Good luck Dark Helmet,with the new toy

Mike,

Is there a slight imperfection, a spot that looks irregular about 3/4 of an inch from the left curve cutout on the Magni?
post #1915 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmWr75 View Post

I am running a G.E. JAN 5998A power tube right now.  Rolled in an Amperex 12AU7 as the driver tube.  Result was a very solid state sounding amp.  My Crack has the Speedball upgrade and 100uF metallized polypropylene output capacitors.

I then switched to a G.E. E80CC driver and it resulted in a very different sounding amp to me.  More tubey, better sound stage, just more fun to listen to.

The E80CC will be the next tube I try. I've tried the BH7 and I liked but it subdued the output and the soundstage a bit. I'm currently using an RCA clear top 12AU7 with an RCA 6AS7G.
post #1916 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post


Mike,

Is there a slight imperfection, a spot that looks irregular about 3/4 of an inch from the left curve cutout on the Magni?

Nope

post #1917 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

Nope

Just sent this pic to Jason at Schiit and he said all the ones he has are like this.  Now mind you it's more noticeable in person.

 

post #1918 of 5573

My irregularity looks  pretty regular to me???

 

Are you referring to the curve in the metal  base??


Edited by mikek200 - 6/30/13 at 1:05pm
post #1919 of 5573

No, just to the right of the left cutout about 3/4 of an inch away on the straight edge, there is a spot that sticks down a bit.


Edited by Dark Helmet - 6/30/13 at 2:00pm
post #1920 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post

No, just to the right of the left cutout about 3/4 of an inch away on the straight edge, there is a spot that sticks down a bit.

 

I can see what you mean, but..........

 

Seriously? I mean that actually bothers you? ~10,000 children die of starvation every day, and that tiny little imperfection on a $99 product is what occupies your thoughts?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL