I'm not a woodworker. I tried using a router (not mounted in a table) and a crappy miter saw today to make a case out of oak. That worked in terms of making the right dimension pieces, but my saw doesn't cut 45 degrees flat across boards well enough to mate up the corners. So I decided to take apart the factory box and shore it up using wood glue and metal angle brackets internally. That worked out OK. The corners didn't meet up perfectly because the last guy had some dry wood glue in there. But I think it looks fab-tabulous anyway. I sanded it down to 400 grit and smoothed off all of the corners and edges just a tad. I used some Danish wood oil (walnut color) to finish it off when I was done sanding.
The front panel looks cool because there's a knot in the wood, so it sort of looks like an eye. It catches the light the same way a tiger eye agate does. Here's some photos now that it's dry.
Very nicely done!!