Curious how the Russian Military 6SN7 (ie 1578) works with the Crack? Anybody know? Since I have some NOS 1578's here that have less than 100hrs on them, I really need to find some way to use them! :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: Today
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: Today
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Even at their current $89 price, I consider the Klipsch R6s an excellent value. They are fundamentally honest about what you put into them. Although they reveal a great deal about each recording,...
With my head laid back, eyes closed, and feet tapping to the beat, I can’t help but be thankful for some of the audio equipment that I have. Thankfully, Justin Weber, owner of Ampsandsound,...
Acknowledgment It’s always a privilege to check out new gear in exchange for your honest opinion. Thanks, iFi, for letting me in on this particular party. I’ve been borrowing this unit...
Introduction I have recently had the good fortune to review 1More’s excellent Triple Driver 1001 In Ear Monitors and their MK802 Bluetooth full-sized headphone and was left extremely impressed...
As the rabbit hole of summit-fi in-ear monitors gets deeper and deeper, I find myself encountering the same issues over and over. Most of the high end multiple armature driver in-ear monitors in...
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 103post #1531 of 79773/2/13 at 6:32pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1532 of 79773/3/13 at 10:03am
There was a discussion on the BH boards a while back about how 6sn7's might not be an ideal match for the crack due to PS circuit. My recollection is that the crack delivers ac to the tubes' heaters, whereas 6sn7's should ideally be getting dc - to say nothing of the possible noise introduced by the adapters.
At the time, this was enough to send me hunting 12bh7's instead - my favorite of which is a 1959 Tung Sol. But I confess I am still curious to hear how a good 6sn7 sounds.post #1533 of 79773/3/13 at 4:50pmpost #1534 of 79773/5/13 at 12:20pm
I'm getting a lot of noise through my Crack when I attach a USB DAC to it. I hear the noise regardless of whether music is playing. Pretty sure it's the USB because when I unplug the cable from my computer it completely disappears. I don't get any noise from the USB DAC when I use my M-stage as an amp though.
When I use an E10 as an SPDIF interface and output coax to my DAC, it's dead quiet. When I input coax (SPDIF) from my Oppo 980H CD player it's dead quiet as well. However, when I use the E10 as the DAC and output it's analog line-out directly to the Crack, I hear the noise again.
Do I just have a noisy USB socket on my computer, or is it the cable, or is the DAC not filtering out the noise?
Or could it be that the braid on the wires from the RCA inputs to the pot in the Crack wasn't done well enough?
Any ideas on why I'm hearing so much noise?
Edited by EraserXIV - 3/5/13 at 12:25pmpost #1535 of 79773/5/13 at 12:41pm
Do you get the noise when plugging in an mp3 player? What about running the laptop from battery?
Is the noise like a low hum, or more like static/white noise?
My initial guesses would be noisy usb socket and/or power supply, or a ground loop.post #1536 of 79773/5/13 at 1:30pm
It's like static/white noise that seems random but does have a slight pattern to it (if that makes any sense). It seems like it has a cyclic pattern where it gets louder and softer at intervals without me touching anything on the amp, DAC, or computer. I haven't tried an mp3 player or unplugging the laptop, will definitely try that when I get home later tonight.
Edited by EraserXIV - 3/5/13 at 1:31pmpost #1537 of 79773/5/13 at 1:34pmpost #1538 of 79773/5/13 at 1:42pm
So that's an issue with the power supply to the laptop? I guess this can be tested easily by unplugging my laptop, will do that later today.
Just curious, why does this noise not transfer when I use an SPDIF interface in the middle of the chain?
Also, if it is the switching power supply from the laptop, are there any ways to fix the noise? I don't really mind using the SPDIF interface, but I like keeping the chain as simple as possible and if I can avoid it, the better. Will certain DACs filter the noise better than others? How come the M-stage didn't pick up the noise?post #1539 of 79773/5/13 at 2:38pm
The spdif is essentially isolated from dirty power noise.
It could be the Matrix has better power or input filtering, or is configured in a way that happens to reject that particular sort of noise.
To "fix" the laptop... well, you could get a better power supply, or just run off battery (maybe a bigger battery, or external battery pack). You can also try a ground loop isolator. They're cheap... like $10 from radio shack. It looks like a regular RCA interconnect with a block in the middle (typically about the size/shape of a D cell battery).post #1540 of 79773/5/13 at 9:59pm
So I think the noise I was hearing is a combination of a couple things. I switched power supplies on my laptop to one with a 2 prong plug and it reduced the noise a lot. At first, I thought it completely eliminated the noise, but when I turned the pot up on the Crack past 12 I started hearing it again (albiet only slightly). Before I switched supplies I was able to hear the noise with the pot completely turned down to 6 (and it was much louder than the new supply past 12).
With the pot turned up to 12 using the new power supply, unplugging the power supply altogether slightly reduced the noise. The noise doesn't completely disappear unless I unplug the USB from my laptop. I'm thinking it's a combination of noise from the power supply (ground loop?) and a noisy USB port. I do most of my listening between 8-10 so it's not really an issue for me I guess. I only barely hear it at 12. I might still toy with the idea of the SPDIF interface though as it completely eliminates the noise.
Any ideas on what a powered USB hub would do?
Edit: this video gave me the idea to switch to a 2 prong plug power supply: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSA2F1AwboU
Edited by EraserXIV - 3/5/13 at 10:04pmpost #1541 of 79773/5/13 at 10:36pm
The powered usb hub *might* help, but no guarantee. You're better off with the unearthed power supply or a signal isolator.post #1542 of 79773/5/13 at 10:52pmQuote:I might still toy with the idea of the SPDIF interface though as it completely eliminates the noise.
Just curious, is he describing jitter or is it simply dirty power from the USB port?post #1543 of 79773/5/13 at 10:57pmpost #1544 of 79773/5/13 at 11:03pm
There's no way any jitter would cause noise that bad. That'd be an utter failure of the device right there.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 59 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › The JH16 Pro Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and TOUR sign up 1 minute ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 1 minute ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing the Dacamp L1, flagship CL1 Ceramic and CL750 from RHA 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★FAQ in 3rd post!★☆ 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by Peddler
- › iFi Audio iEMatch Headphone Travel Accessory by Hisoundfi
- › Soundaware Esther by ambchang
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Hisoundfi
- › HiFiMAN Edition S by Aornic
- › Accutone Taurus by mark2410
- › Remax RM 305M Aluminum Earbud by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear