Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 101

post #1501 of 5865

Maybe it's just me, but I've tried a Tung-Sol 6080 (JAN-CTL-6080) that Bottlehead supplied with the Crack amp, and I've also tried a NOS RCA 6AS7G.

 

The RCA 6AS7G doesn't have the musicality that the 6080 does.... I know other listeners like 6AS7G tubes, but maybe I need to try a different brand or variant.  The Tung-Sol 6080 just seems to have more overall musicality and provides a little more low-end than the 6AS7G from what I can tell.

post #1502 of 5865

Where did you get your adapter if you don't mind me asking?

post #1503 of 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

Where did you get your adapter if you don't mind me asking?

Ebay

post #1504 of 5865

Thanks!

post #1505 of 5865

I really do like the 6sn7's quite a bit in this amp. Running a chrome top Sylvania right. Seems you really can't wrong with any decent 6sn7 in this position.

 

KP

post #1506 of 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

My solution was to buy a pair of Harrison Labs 12dB line-level attenuators. They'll be here on Friday, so I don't have long to wait to see if they do the trick without compromising sound quality.

 

I just bought a pair of these. They work perfectly. And it may just be my imagination, or it may be the fact that I also installed a new TDK volume pot and the attenuators let me set it to work within its sweet spot, but I actually find that my system sounds better now. The treble isn't quite as hot, making the amp very relaxing to listen to. In any case, the Harrison attenuators are highly recommended.

 

Best,

Adam

post #1507 of 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcananey View Post

 

I just bought a pair of these. They work perfectly. And it may just be my imagination, or it may be the fact that I also installed a new TDK volume pot and the attenuators let me set it to work within its sweet spot, but I actually find that my system sounds better now. The treble isn't quite as hot, making the amp very relaxing to listen to. In any case, the Harrison attenuators are highly recommended.

 

Best,

Adam


You guys are using those coming out of what source again?

post #1508 of 5865

I'm using an Audio-Gd Ref. 5.32. It puts out 2.5V over RCA.

post #1509 of 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcananey View Post

I'm using an Audio-Gd Ref. 5.32. It puts out 2.5V over RCA.


Huh, I have an HRT Music Streamer II and the manual says it outputs 2.25V. Maybe Ill pick up the 6dB Attenuator and give it a try. Hell Ill just order both the 6dB and 12dB just to have since my gear rotates so frequently its good to have both around!

post #1510 of 5865

Ben,

 

I would just go for the 12 dB version. Even the 12 dB doesn't make as much of a difference as you would think. I would expect the 6 dB version to be fairly useless, to be honest...

 

Best regards,

Adam

post #1511 of 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcananey View Post

Ben,

 

I would just go for the 12 dB version. Even the 12 dB doesn't make as much of a difference as you would think. I would expect the 6 dB version to be fairly useless, to be honest...

 

Best regards,

Adam


Good advice, Ill start with the 12dB.

post #1512 of 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcananey View Post

 

I just bought a pair of these. They work perfectly. And it may just be my imagination, or it may be the fact that I also installed a new TDK volume pot and the attenuators let me set it to work within its sweet spot, but I actually find that my system sounds better now. The treble isn't quite as hot, making the amp very relaxing to listen to. In any case, the Harrison attenuators are highly recommended.

 

 

Mine came yesterday and they're working great for me as well. The usable range on my volume pot is now 0 to about 10:00. MUCH more reasonable!

post #1513 of 5865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post


You guys are using those coming out of what source again?

 

Channels Islands Audio VDA-1 outputting 2.4V.

post #1514 of 5865

These stories make me kinda glad I am preamping my crack with the Nuforce HDP.  It may not be the most straight forward signal path but I have a lot of leeway on the volume pot.

post #1515 of 5865

For anyone interested Vacuum Tubes.net has Tung-Sol/Chatham 5998 tubes in stock! $92 shipped for one. LINK

 

And Parts ConneXion.com has Obbligato PSU and Mundorf MKP 100uf Film Caps both in stock for $39 or $48 each plus shipping.


Edited by ben_r_ - 2/20/13 at 10:48pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL