- 648 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Location: Planet Earth - Somewhere afloat on the Chesapeake Bay
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 10/9/11 at 5:25am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Been looking for some new closed headphones, with only three at the moment and for some time in fact. Good ones, though: Sony MDR Z1000, Sony MDR 7520, and Senn Amperiors, Sometimes you just...
There are many great headphones in this SUB-$150 category , I have a good amount of headphones in the range and have tried a good enough of them to know what to expect in this category The...
(Note - XL ear pads are installed. The sound will be judged based on that.) Introduction: I purchased these headphones mainly out of curiosity. I was reading reviews and watching youtubers...
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
- Headphone Impedance
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 100
Gear mentioned in this thread:
OK, I'm looking at committing apostacy and install portions of the crack speedball kit into my WA3. The two amps are very similar, with exception of maybe the B+ and tube bias points. They both use 6AS7 output tubes with simple cathode follower resistor bias...crack with 3K and WA3 with 1.5K. My question is if the speedball instructions contain enough information for me to choose proper resistor values to match my current Woo bias? With 193V on my plate, I'm seeing about 35V on the cathode. Thoughts?
Thoughts? You probably wont find much help here on the matter, but you should check out this thread: LINK
I'm no DIYer, have no tools, and no electronics fabrication or soldering skills. My Crack was built by someone else (who did a supreme job BTW!). My solution was to buy a pair of Harrison Labs 12dB line-level attenuators. They'll be here on Friday, so I don't have long to wait to see if they do the trick without compromising sound quality.
Can you tell me who build your amp? I'm new to this forum. Just got a pair of HD650, a step up from Audio Technica M50. I am interested in this crack amp but I am too not a DIY person... Thanks!
Check out the Amplification For Sale Forum here, and your PM.
Been toying with the idea of getting an HE-500 recently however I don't really have an amp to drive them (Nuforce HDP, Crack). If any of you own the Crack and the 500s can you give the combo a green light?
Thanks in advance for the help.
No! Red light, flashing lights, helicopters overhead, children screaming, mothers running away with baby strollers, some open mouthed fat guy dropping a hotdog.
Not the Crack, no... but the HDP should be good to go.
I don't have an HE-500, but I have an HE-6 and the HDP does surprisingly well with it. If it can handle the HE-6, I think the HE-500 will be ok. If not, it will still be enjoyable and you can always upgrade later.
I actually have my HDP feeding into the Nuforce Icon speaker amp to drive my HE-6. It's a nice little combo.
No. The crack is optimized for high voltage. The HE-500 need high current. Build the Smack or Sex (or any number of other fine designs), but not the Crack for this headphone.
I haven't heard the Crack, but I do have a S.E.X. and it does wonderful things with my LCD-2s and with the HE-500s I originally auditioned it on. It also does a very good job with my HD650s and HD800s. I am thinking about building a Crack just to compare the two.
I've tried some 6SN7 tubes with an adapter. Very, pleased with the sound. To me they seemed to open up the soundstage. Kind of a "bigger" sound. I have an old Motorola in there now.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 24 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD25 spare driver 70 ohm NIB 31 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 41 seconds ago
- › EarSonics S-EM6 Six driver universal IEM 1 minute ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 2 minutes ago
- › FS Unique Melody Miracle CIEM USD$490 3 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by zazex
- › Ultrasone HFI-450 by MrTechAgent
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude