- 460 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Location: Planet Earth
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 10/9/11 at 5:25am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
- Headphone Impedance
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 100
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
OK, I'm looking at committing apostacy and install portions of the crack speedball kit into my WA3. The two amps are very similar, with exception of maybe the B+ and tube bias points. They both use 6AS7 output tubes with simple cathode follower resistor bias...crack with 3K and WA3 with 1.5K. My question is if the speedball instructions contain enough information for me to choose proper resistor values to match my current Woo bias? With 193V on my plate, I'm seeing about 35V on the cathode. Thoughts?
Thoughts? You probably wont find much help here on the matter, but you should check out this thread: LINK
I'm no DIYer, have no tools, and no electronics fabrication or soldering skills. My Crack was built by someone else (who did a supreme job BTW!). My solution was to buy a pair of Harrison Labs 12dB line-level attenuators. They'll be here on Friday, so I don't have long to wait to see if they do the trick without compromising sound quality.
Can you tell me who build your amp? I'm new to this forum. Just got a pair of HD650, a step up from Audio Technica M50. I am interested in this crack amp but I am too not a DIY person... Thanks!
Check out the Amplification For Sale Forum here, and your PM.
Been toying with the idea of getting an HE-500 recently however I don't really have an amp to drive them (Nuforce HDP, Crack). If any of you own the Crack and the 500s can you give the combo a green light?
Thanks in advance for the help.
No! Red light, flashing lights, helicopters overhead, children screaming, mothers running away with baby strollers, some open mouthed fat guy dropping a hotdog.
Not the Crack, no... but the HDP should be good to go.
I don't have an HE-500, but I have an HE-6 and the HDP does surprisingly well with it. If it can handle the HE-6, I think the HE-500 will be ok. If not, it will still be enjoyable and you can always upgrade later.
I actually have my HDP feeding into the Nuforce Icon speaker amp to drive my HE-6. It's a nice little combo.
No. The crack is optimized for high voltage. The HE-500 need high current. Build the Smack or Sex (or any number of other fine designs), but not the Crack for this headphone.
I haven't heard the Crack, but I do have a S.E.X. and it does wonderful things with my LCD-2s and with the HE-500s I originally auditioned it on. It also does a very good job with my HD650s and HD800s. I am thinking about building a Crack just to compare the two.
I've tried some 6SN7 tubes with an adapter. Very, pleased with the sound. To me they seemed to open up the soundstage. Kind of a "bigger" sound. I have an old Motorola in there now.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › looking for new cans...need inputs. 17 seconds ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 19 seconds ago
- › Strengthening Fiio L3 strain relief 37 seconds ago
- › Amp for DT 990 Pro + Xonar DG 1 minute ago
- › Bravo V2 Amp - Sketchy Ordering 1 minute ago
- › Rank the IEM's you've heard 1 minute ago
- › Review and Comparison of the $200 Open-Back Underdogs: The AKG K612... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors) 2 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe