- 811 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Location: Planet Earth - Somewhere afloat on the Chesapeake Bay
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 11/30/13 at 7:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 8/1/14 at 11:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
1. These headphones are HUGE. 2. That said, it provides amazing soundstage/imaging, and are very comfortable. Headband has no bumps, and earpads are of memory foam. 3. Very decent amount of...
Looking at the picture of the PK3's I wasn't expecting much. They look and feel cheap using a generic case for the drivers. First I tried them without the foam covers and they sounded awful. I...
Disclaimer First of all, I would like to thank Audrey and the Brainwavz team for allowing me to review their S1 IEMs. I would also like to clarify that I am neither an affiliate of Brainwavz...
Overview The Alien is a well-priced (~$250 AUD), compact, screenless player that plays only WAV and FLAC files – no MP3, no AAC, just the two major lossless options. For some people that will...
Shure SRH840, are a value filled set of extraordinary headphones, worth every single coin you spend on it. The bass register is perfect for any genre of song you play through you...
- Headphone Impedance
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 100
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
OK, I'm looking at committing apostacy and install portions of the crack speedball kit into my WA3. The two amps are very similar, with exception of maybe the B+ and tube bias points. They both use 6AS7 output tubes with simple cathode follower resistor bias...crack with 3K and WA3 with 1.5K. My question is if the speedball instructions contain enough information for me to choose proper resistor values to match my current Woo bias? With 193V on my plate, I'm seeing about 35V on the cathode. Thoughts?
Thoughts? You probably wont find much help here on the matter, but you should check out this thread: LINK
I'm no DIYer, have no tools, and no electronics fabrication or soldering skills. My Crack was built by someone else (who did a supreme job BTW!). My solution was to buy a pair of Harrison Labs 12dB line-level attenuators. They'll be here on Friday, so I don't have long to wait to see if they do the trick without compromising sound quality.
Can you tell me who build your amp? I'm new to this forum. Just got a pair of HD650, a step up from Audio Technica M50. I am interested in this crack amp but I am too not a DIY person... Thanks!
Check out the Amplification For Sale Forum here, and your PM.
Been toying with the idea of getting an HE-500 recently however I don't really have an amp to drive them (Nuforce HDP, Crack). If any of you own the Crack and the 500s can you give the combo a green light?
Thanks in advance for the help.
No! Red light, flashing lights, helicopters overhead, children screaming, mothers running away with baby strollers, some open mouthed fat guy dropping a hotdog.
Not the Crack, no... but the HDP should be good to go.
I don't have an HE-500, but I have an HE-6 and the HDP does surprisingly well with it. If it can handle the HE-6, I think the HE-500 will be ok. If not, it will still be enjoyable and you can always upgrade later.
I actually have my HDP feeding into the Nuforce Icon speaker amp to drive my HE-6. It's a nice little combo.
No. The crack is optimized for high voltage. The HE-500 need high current. Build the Smack or Sex (or any number of other fine designs), but not the Crack for this headphone.
I haven't heard the Crack, but I do have a S.E.X. and it does wonderful things with my LCD-2s and with the HE-500s I originally auditioned it on. It also does a very good job with my HD650s and HD800s. I am thinking about building a Crack just to compare the two.
I've tried some 6SN7 tubes with an adapter. Very, pleased with the sound. To me they seemed to open up the soundstage. Kind of a "bigger" sound. I have an old Motorola in there now.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 3 seconds ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 52 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page: Downloads, info & instructions-... 1 minute ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 2 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 3 minutes ago
- › I truly believe these are one of the best Classical Music... 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014:... 4 minutes ago
- › Roll Call for Team AKG 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K7XX by avitron142
- › YUIN PK3 Earbuds by thebluebulk
- › Brainwavz S1 by thatBeatsguy
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by Loquah
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundScout
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MyFamilyShoppin
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)