- 223 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Location: Planet Earth
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- [Review] Ortofon HD-Q7 Last post on 1/16/11 at 11:59pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- All Aluminum Bottlehead Amp.... Last post on 11/10/12 at 5:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit Valhalla and the overly bright mids that are masking the bass Last post on 5/24/12 at 1:40pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Do I even need a headphone amp (Tesla T1 / Yamaha home cinema amp) Last post on 6/7/12 at 2:51pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just looked at the Bottlehead amps and... Last post on 10/9/11 at 5:25am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Edited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
I used this amp mainly with a pair of HD 650 and it does what it is supposed to do: it has way more power than I need, it's quiet and it makes everything sound in its place. I have never heard...
I bought these headphones just for the fun of it, to see how they sound with all that apparently amazing bass. Well, for $50, they're ok sounding for extra bass headphones. They do have a...
Bought it some time ago, based on user reviews. Straight out of the box it seemed huge, especially compared to my old Cowon D2. Also, sound was awful. Granted, I don't have large hi-fi cans, only...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the ATH-CKN70. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The...
Introduction I’m a basshead. I say that loudly and proudly, even though some folks believe basshead and audiophile are mutually exclusive. Obviously, I’m not in that camp. But sometimes, I...
- Headphone Impedance
Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 100
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
OK, I'm looking at committing apostacy and install portions of the crack speedball kit into my WA3. The two amps are very similar, with exception of maybe the B+ and tube bias points. They both use 6AS7 output tubes with simple cathode follower resistor bias...crack with 3K and WA3 with 1.5K. My question is if the speedball instructions contain enough information for me to choose proper resistor values to match my current Woo bias? With 193V on my plate, I'm seeing about 35V on the cathode. Thoughts?
Thoughts? You probably wont find much help here on the matter, but you should check out this thread: LINK
I'm no DIYer, have no tools, and no electronics fabrication or soldering skills. My Crack was built by someone else (who did a supreme job BTW!). My solution was to buy a pair of Harrison Labs 12dB line-level attenuators. They'll be here on Friday, so I don't have long to wait to see if they do the trick without compromising sound quality.
Can you tell me who build your amp? I'm new to this forum. Just got a pair of HD650, a step up from Audio Technica M50. I am interested in this crack amp but I am too not a DIY person... Thanks!
Check out the Amplification For Sale Forum here, and your PM.
Been toying with the idea of getting an HE-500 recently however I don't really have an amp to drive them (Nuforce HDP, Crack). If any of you own the Crack and the 500s can you give the combo a green light?
Thanks in advance for the help.
No! Red light, flashing lights, helicopters overhead, children screaming, mothers running away with baby strollers, some open mouthed fat guy dropping a hotdog.
Not the Crack, no... but the HDP should be good to go.
I don't have an HE-500, but I have an HE-6 and the HDP does surprisingly well with it. If it can handle the HE-6, I think the HE-500 will be ok. If not, it will still be enjoyable and you can always upgrade later.
I actually have my HDP feeding into the Nuforce Icon speaker amp to drive my HE-6. It's a nice little combo.
No. The crack is optimized for high voltage. The HE-500 need high current. Build the Smack or Sex (or any number of other fine designs), but not the Crack for this headphone.
I haven't heard the Crack, but I do have a S.E.X. and it does wonderful things with my LCD-2s and with the HE-500s I originally auditioned it on. It also does a very good job with my HD650s and HD800s. I am thinking about building a Crack just to compare the two.
I've tried some 6SN7 tubes with an adapter. Very, pleased with the sound. To me they seemed to open up the soundstage. Kind of a "bigger" sound. I have an old Motorola in there now.
- Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Pros:“Powerful and affordable”“Powerful, clean output with slight warmth, small footprint, value for money, drives most headphones, nice connectability with E7”
- Pros:“World class sound and comfort from Beyer”“Incredibly balanced and the best all rounder I've heard”
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 10 seconds ago
- › Fiio E7 + E9 not working 26 seconds ago
- › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions 1 minute ago
- › New high-end headphone amps: Vorzuge VorzAMPpure and VorzAMPduo... 1 minute ago
- › Audio Confusion 1 minute ago
- › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions and Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Stax thread (New) 3 minutes ago
- › Portable players that rip CDs easily 4 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 5 minutes ago
- › Anyone from the Philippines here? 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Valhalla by Rem0o
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › audio-technica Premium Compact Inner Ear Headphones ATH-CKN70 Black... by a_recording
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe