Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crack;Bottlehead OTL - Page 69

post #1021 of 5573

Spend most of this snowy, day building the Crack.  It sounds great.  Hd600/Crack=special combo. The voltage check was fun.DSC_6119.jpgDSC_6124.jpgDSC_6125.jpg

post #1022 of 5573

Looking great!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextek View Post

Spend most of this snowy, day building the Crack.  It sounds great.  Hd600/Crack=special combo. The voltage check was fun.DSC_6119.jpgDSC_6124.jpgDSC_6125.jpg



 

post #1023 of 5573

The last piece you need is the Cardas bottlehead cable with right angle termination.  It opens up the detail more, and adds some tightness to the bass.  A worth while upgrade in my opinion.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextek View Post

Spend most of this snowy, day building the Crack.  It sounds great.  Hd600/Crack=special combo. The voltage check was fun.DSC_6119.jpgDSC_6124.jpgDSC_6125.jpg



 

post #1024 of 5573

I'm working on the base of mine right now. Just got done with 2 coats of stain. Looks pretty sweet!

 

I can't start work on the electrical portion of the amp until I get the top plate painted but the temperatures in the Midwest haven't been favorable lately. The spray paint can says it needs to be at lease 50 degrees Fahrenheit. :(

 

Anyone know what could possibly happen if I spray paint the top plate in, say, 30 degree weather?

post #1025 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post

The last piece you need is the Cardas bottlehead cable with right angle termination.  It opens up the detail more, and adds some tightness to the bass.  A worth while upgrade in my opinion.
 



 



What cable is this you are talking about?  Headphone?  I have Moon Audio Blue Dragon and a Smurf Cardas for the HD.

 

post #1026 of 5573


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilasunriser View Post

I'm working on the base of mine right now. Just got done with 2 coats of stain. Looks pretty sweet!

 

I can't start work on the electrical portion of the amp until I get the top plate painted but the temperatures in the Midwest haven't been favorable lately. The spray paint can says it needs to be at lease 50 degrees Fahrenheit. :(

 

Anyone know what could possibly happen if I spray paint the top plate in, say, 30 degree weather?



 

Tried spraying another project in thengarage when it was cold.  Not very, good results.  I painted my plate in the basement withmwindows open and a fan.

post #1027 of 5573

He's talking about the power cable Bottlehead sells. It looks nice :)

 

 

Speaking of which, absolutely beautiful build lex!

post #1028 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post

He's talking about the power cable Bottlehead sells. It looks nice :)

 

 

Speaking of which, absolutely beautiful build lex!



No, he's talking about an HD600/650 cable we used to sell which was a Cardas cable with a right angle Neutrik TRS plug on it made for us by DIY Cable. I keep one on my 600s. The Cardas cable is a very nice upgrade. Andy Regan of Cardas brought by a balanced cable to try out on the HD800s we had at the last RMAF and I thought it was the best sound we heard from them during the show.


Edited by Doc B. - 1/22/12 at 1:08pm
post #1029 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc B. View Post



No, he's talking about an HD600/650 cable we used to sell which was a Cardas cable with a right angle Neutrik TRS plug on it made for by DIY Cable. I keep one on my 600s. The Cardas cable is a very nice upgrade. Andy Regan of Cardas brought by a balanced cable to try out on the HD800s we had at the last RMAF and I thought it was the best sound we heard from them during the show.


Decided to keep the headphone jack where it is.  Ordered a right angle TRS connector to swap on to my Moon-Audio Blue Dragon (DIY) cable.  Easier.

 

post #1030 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc B. View Post



No, he's talking about an HD600/650 cable we used to sell which was a Cardas cable with a right angle Neutrik TRS plug on it made for us by DIY Cable. I keep one on my 600s. The Cardas cable is a very nice upgrade. Andy Regan of Cardas brought by a balanced cable to try out on the HD800s we had at the last RMAF and I thought it was the best sound we heard from them during the show.



Yes Doc has the same cable but mine is plain grey without the teckflex jacket.  I would like to know where I can acquire one of the balanced cardas cables for the HD800 which I plan to use it with the future purchase of a smack.  Hopefully it's not too over priced, I was able to get the Cardas cable for the HD600 at $150.  Most cables are priced too high and its not overly complicated to build your own.

post #1031 of 5573

I would imagine the usual Cardas dealers like Music Direct carry the HD800 clear cable. You can also purchase HD800 style connectors from Parts Connexion and build your own. IIRC they are $50 the pair. By the time you purchase premium connectors for both ends, and premium wire, and good quality heat shrink and Tech Flex and solder and then spend the time it takes to terminate the cables in such a way as to make them truly rugged you start to see why some cables go for a fair penny.

post #1032 of 5573

For those interested in an affordable cable for the HD600 with right angle termination, this company was where I purchased mine.

 

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=515

 

 

post #1033 of 5573

Lextek I see we share another hobby, RC heli's if that drop cloth is any indication. I'm not advanced enough for the Align T-Rex stuff yet though... 

post #1034 of 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by hy fi View Post

Lextek I see we share another hobby, RC heli's if that drop cloth is any indication. I'm not advanced enough for the Align T-Rex stuff yet though... 



Yup started withe the E-Flite Blade coax then a Trex 450.  Last one was a CY Rave.  

post #1035 of 5573

Finally got around to swapping out the connector on the Blue Dragon cable for a right angle one.  Much cleaner look with the Crack.

DSC_6128.jpgDSC_6130.jpg

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Crack;Bottlehead OTL