Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Top-Tier Universal IEM Comparison Chart, Frequency Response Charts, & Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Top-Tier Universal IEM Comparison Chart, Frequency Response Charts, & Discussion - Page 47

post #691 of 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucozade View Post


 


Thats  true Joe, the SE420 would have that effect . In all seriousness though the SM3 REALLY IS IN A CLASS OF ITS OWN at the moment in the world of iem's if my ears are any judge of what sounds good.  


shdeolkrjekrfjaksdjf people should really stop posting things like this haha. 

post #692 of 785


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongringo View Post


 

I haven't yet heard the SM3, but they do have a much higher price point than the GR8, thus they should sound better. The GR8 aren't the be all and end all of IEMs, but it's nice to see they are finally getting some respect. I do believe that because they are a Grado they have unfairly been through the ringer since they came out last year. The truth is finally coming out. And the truth is, they are a very good sounding IEM.
 

 

Well I find that the GR8 not being very popular among here partly due to their own fault. It would be hard to be popular if the retailers are only allowed to ship to US addresses which would make importing them quite the hassle and pretty expensive esp if there are customs fees.
 

post #693 of 785

That chart was amazing. Kudos to everyone who helped make it. It is extremely helpful.

post #694 of 785

i have a question about the tf10 and the se530,cant decide yet which to buy.

compared to the turbine, the original not the pro. how much mids are there on the tf10 compared to the turbine?

and is the se530 bass quantity really that small? compared to the ck10 for example?

thanks for your help

post #695 of 785

Last post in this thread...... I have laid down early impressions of the DDM, I may need to add to it if I hear any changes.

 

If there is a poll, or anything else concerning the SM3's standing...... IMO 

Let it be known, that it is king, and no prince exists......The SM3 is much more a music transport than an iem. YMMV   I hope everyone enjoys the SM3..........I am reminded what it does, every time I compare it to another.   

 

Frank

post #696 of 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by the search never ends View Post

Last post in this thread...... I have laid down early impressions of the DDM, I may need to add to it if I hear any changes.

 

If there is a poll, or anything else concerning the SM3's standing...... IMO 

Let it be known, that it is king, and no prince exists......The SM3 is much more a music transport than an iem. YMMV   I hope everyone enjoys the SM3..........I am reminded what it does, every time I compare it to another.   

 

Frank

I could not have put it any better than  that frank , The SM3 is truly a mesmerising phone. From its delicute tingly sparkly cymbals , its lovely lush midrange and captivating vocals to its thunderous bass . The more i listen to it the more certain i become that i have no need to look further for anything better sounding than the SM3 .
 

post #697 of 785

^

Tell me that in a month or two :)

post #698 of 785

Especially when the x-jay comes out...

 

I did actually emailed them about it, but the guy didn't want to say anything, except that it will sound 'clean and natural/transparent', which of course, doesn't tell much.


Edited by koonhua90 - 6/2/10 at 2:30pm
post #699 of 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucozade View Post



I could not have put it any better than  that frank , The SM3 is truly a mesmerising phone. From its delicute tingly sparkly cymbals , its lovely lush midrange and captivating vocals to its thunderous bass . The more i listen to it the more certain i become that i have no need to look further for anything better sounding than the SM3 .
 



WOW, SM3 looks like new highest sound quality universal IEMs and iam wondering if someone can compare it's highs with RE0?.

post #700 of 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

^

Tell me that in a month or two :)


He he rawster ,you never know ,maybe those new SE425 will Tempt me 

post #701 of 785

I agree with rawster and koonhua. While I have no doubt that the SM3 is as good as many here have said it is, something better will always come along. So I hope some of you are prepared to put foot in mouth. I've seen many of you do it already from previous IEMs you crowned kings. I have never crowned any IEM king, nor will I. Yes, there are IEMs that I have heard recently that I like better than previous ones, and I didn't think anything could get better than the previous ones, but was proved wrong. So eventually when I do buy the SM3 - if nothing better has come out by then - and it holds up for me like most of you who own it have said, I won't crown it king. I will simply say it's one of the best IEMs I've heard. I might say it's the best IEM I have heard, but still it won't be king for me. Why?

 

Well, look at this way: of all of he IEMs I have ever owned, the FX700 has the best sound I have ever heard (for ME!!!). Read that. The best SOUND I'VE HEARD FOR ME!! But, ironically, the FX700 is not my favorite IEM. My favorite IEM of all the ones that I own (and have owned) is the Radius DDM. How can the DDM not be the best sounding, yet is my favorite IEM? Well it's simple, the DDM gives a unique sound sig (like no other I have heard) that totally agrees with me, and it presents mids in a way that I absolutely adore (especially piano, electric guitar, acoustic guitar and strings). Nothing I've heard yet beats the DDM for me, but other give a better overall music presentation (along with the FX700 I would include the e-Q7).

 

This means that for some of us it goes beyond just getting the most technically clear and transparent earphone you can find. There is also a human enjoyment and fun factor that some look for in these audio devices. That is why if I do buy the SM3, I won't drink the bandwagon kool-aid.  But rest assured I am taking note of all you that who say there's nothing better, and will remind you if you say something else is king (how ironic it would be if a new king comes about that is actually cheaper than the SM3. It's not far from being possible). And people trying to compare the SM3 to the DDM and others when the SM3 should sound better due to its price. Of course many high-end IEMs fall short of its price, so I give the SM3 kudos for seemingly being worth its price. At the same time, I give the DDM kudos for sounding way better than its prices.

 

With that said, average_joe told me based on search's comments regarding the  DDM, he won't even open the box and listen to them since he's certain they won't touch the SM3. That is well and dandy @ joe, but please add the DDMs onto the top tier, as there are enough of us who have voiced that we believe it belongs theres. Of everyone I know who have heard the DDM, only search has had the most negative (and it wasn't all negative) comments about them. I long suspected you, joe,  was waiting to see if you personally felt the DDM was worthy, but since you aren't going to give them a chance anyway, please add them to the top tier.

post #702 of 785


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post


 

 

Well I find that the GR8 not being very popular among here partly due to their own fault. It would be hard to be popular if the retailers are only allowed to ship to US addresses which would make importing them quite the hassle and pretty expensive esp if there are customs fees.
 


Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

post #703 of 785

I think much disagreement in opinion derives from an unmentioned rift between the 'fun' sounding camp (usually dynamics) and the 'reference' monitor camp (usually BA's).  Too often we get carried away advocating a sound without being clear about what it is we find important in our search.  From what I have read the JH13/16's bring you most of the accuracy and reference quality one could want but can be lacking a bit of fun factor in certain respects.  While dynamics like the DDM, FX700, and MTP's seem to bring out the funsome feel them to be 'colored'.  The EM3's seem to be the best compromise/synergy between the 2 camps from what I have read but I am still waiting to see someone whose opinion I value come forward and make such a supported claim.

post #704 of 785

Well something better will eventually come out but at this moment the SM3 are the best earphones according to joe, lucozade, search and probably some others who have heard them along with other top universals. Whether that is true or not I have no clue and don't care to find out since $400 is too much for me. I'm quite happy with my CK10 and e-Q7 and I should be getting my dba 02 on Monday and Coppers late next week. I very much enjoy the 2 universals that I do have (I don't count PL30 since I'm not using it for music but watching videos online so SQ doesn't matter) and I suspect I will enjoy the two that should arrive soon.

 

Either way it seems like the SM3 is very good and the majority of those who bought them enjoy them very much :) Enjoy your SM3 to those who have it and I'll settle for what I have.

 

@joe: It's too bad you won't be opening up the DDM as I wanted to hear your thoughts on them but oh well. It's your money and your earphone if they have arrived already.

post #705 of 785

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 View Post

 

 My favorite IEM of all the ones that I own (and have owned) is the Radius DDM. How can the DDM not be the best sounding, yet is my favorite IEM? Well it's simple, the DDM gives a unique sound sig (like no other I have heard) that totally agrees with me, and it presents mids in a way that I absolutely adore (especially piano, electric guitar, acoustic guitar and strings). Nothing I've heard yet beats the DDM for me, but other give a better overall music presentation (along with the FX700 I would include the e-Q7).


I'm gonna agree with Eric here and state that the DDM is my favorite headphone out of all of the ones I've heard so far. The way it renders mids in that airy fashion, and its velvety smooth sound is just incredibly nice. Oh and Eric, how long in terms of burn in do you think it takes for the DDM to open up to their full potential? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Top-Tier Universal IEM Comparison Chart, Frequency Response Charts, & Discussion