- 68 Posts. Joined 11/2012
- Location: Sweden
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/24/10
- categoryCustom In Ear Monitorstagged by System, 3/10/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 9/28/10
- brandJH Audiotagged by System, 9/28/10
- productJH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 3/10/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 9/28/10
- brandShuretagged by System, 9/28/10
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/27/11
Related Forum Threads
- JH Audio custom IEMs comfort level Last post on 8/9/10 at 5:02pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hi! Please recommend some custom IEM's for this newbie . . . . Last post on 8/5/11 at 2:31am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JHA lost JH16 & UE11 UPDATE Last post on 3/31/11 at 2:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM between $40-$75 - basshead Last post on 9/14/10 at 9:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/25/15
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 3/18/16
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
T-PEOS RASIEL Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to T-PEOS for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/807332/t-peos-rasiel-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Finder X1...
The E5 is so close to being a giant killer but it has a few major flaws in my opinion. This is a technically oriented review. I like neutral sound signatures and bit perfect playback. I don't...
"Massdrop Blue Box - NuForce HEM IEMs" special drop pricing = $169.99*; Actual MSRP = $399.00 (I joined the drop on Massdrop and received the HEM6; LINK. You can find these and the other...
Hi All, I was given the chance to review the new Shozy Zero Rosewood earphones in exchange for just a small fee to cover the shipping. I received, as I'm sure some other reviewers did, an...
-- I give you Lend Me UR Ears house brand Alpha & Delta D2 Sports Earphone: **A few Disclaimers to get out of the way here**: #1 – I was approached by Lend Me UR Ears to review the...
iPhone cable (with mic) for UE or JH IEM's - Page 10post #136 of 14812/17/13 at 11:27pmMy experience, buy a logitech ue900 cable, it's 20 bucks. Then ship it off to someone who is ok with retermination of the IEM connectors. Total like 40-50 bucks. I had no issue finding someone willing to do the termination in Europe at least.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #137 of 1483/9/14 at 2:53pm
I've been using a triple fi 10 cable in mine for a year now. One thing I wasn't sure of was which way to face the pin as I inserted it to not have the polarity 180 out of phase.
How can I test that?
I have a standard electronic multi meter.post #138 of 1483/18/14 at 7:59am
Talking with my brother about how to test polarity of my JH cables, he gave me the idea to measure the resistance on the original cable, then I could match that up with my replacement cables... such a simple idea, yet I never thought about doing that.
I did have my cables out of phase.
Here are the results I found. You can easily test your replacement cables polarity using a resistance meter (Ohm meter). I used my multi meter, and the resistance was around 1.6 ohms on my JH cable, and around 1 ohm on my UE cable. Not sure if that would make a sound quality difference or not. But I now know my polarity is correct.
Anyway, Enjoy:post #139 of 1487/25/14 at 7:37amThe arete cable does not work with an iPhone as a mic. It works sometimes, but mostly not. When it's not working the remote is not working either.
Tested on 3 iPhone 4s and 1 iPhone 4.
However it does work with ipad, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and Mac mini.
Even tested the app micCheck and confirmed that it doesn't work with iPhone but with ipad.
Tested with two other (cheap ones) pair of headset and both worked with my iPhone. Also confirmed by the app.
Edit: Kevin at Null Audio contacted me and he is sure that the remote does work, but he thinks that the problem maybe the 4-pin connector. Anyway, they are sending me a new cable and before sending it they are sending a video demonstrating it working on their products (ipads, iphones etc).
He also said to me that they've had been working on new lune and Arete cables. Great service!
I will test the new cable and share my impressions. Hopefully I received a faulty cable.
As I said earlier, the cable does work with ipad,ipod and macs. But not iphone. I'll send Kevin a video showing this, maybe they can identify a new problem.
Edited by tayano - 7/25/14 at 10:02ampost #140 of 1482/3/15 at 12:27am
I had one of the JH mic cables that I used with my 1964Ears. It was OK but:
I prefer an asymmetric cable layout to the IEMs - cable descends from the left ear to the device with the cable from the right ear joining at neck-level
The mic was too heavy for the cables and would drag them
The mic only acted as a mic/play/pause/prev/next control.
The cable at the plug fatigued after a year or so.
The mic quality was not great
Reading this thread I realised that there were no suitable cables off-the-shelf. What I did was get a B&W replacement cable from Custom-cable. It was then pretty straightforward to cut off the mic and lower cable from the JH cable, cut the upper plug off the B&W cable, trim the cables to the IEMs and solder the correct wires together to maintain polarity and conduction. Lacquer to insulate the fine wires and a bit of shrink-wrap neatened it up and it's been working for months. Volume control, play/pause/back/forward and light enough that it can hang easily on the left side with no snagging or drag. I understand the mic quality is excellent from some of the calls I've used it for.
Only problem is that the plug is a straight 3.5mm one and with a device in a trouser pocket the wires fatigue. It's taken just over a year of frequent use for this to happen so it's not too bad. I'll probably try to find a similar cable with a 90-degree plug to increase the durability.post #141 of 1482/6/15 at 2:46pmpost #142 of 1482/28/15 at 9:54am
Has anyone found a high quality iPhone-compatible mic/control to use for custom cables? I made a post in the Help Forum per the board instructions but got very few views and no replies. It seems like DIY parts for such a cable are nearly non-existant which is a damn shame, as I would certainly be willing to pay for a high quality mic that doesn't look like a pile of what the horse leaves behind in the field.
An ideal mic would retain Apple's volume up/down controls in addition to the multi-use "control" button. I've taken apart a couple Apple cables but they're using extremely thin conductors and I wouldn't even be able to fit wires in there.
Double Helix Cables seems to offer a remote/mic solution but:
1. It lacks volume controls (remember that if we are using the controls at all we have to forgo the use of an amp anyway).
2. It's ugly as sin.
3) They don't sell it separately.post #143 of 1482/28/15 at 10:40am
well remember i said null audio offers it, however its non removable however it is sleek, it has the buttons you are looking for, if you build a cable its a just a extra $20.00 and their cable are top notchpost #144 of 1482/28/15 at 12:17pmQuote:
Yes, I looked at Null Audio but I was not happy with the prices and selection, nor was I particularly impressed with the quality of their responses when I had emailed them questions I had about their cables.
My question more focuses on DIY solutions, such as a separate mic control or a cheaper cable that uses a high quality control that can be opened up and re-used.post #145 of 1482/28/15 at 12:34pmpost #146 of 1482/28/15 at 12:39pm
That you did, and I genuinely appreciate it. In fact, in lieu of other suggestions, yours still remains the best. I'm just trying to find a solution that doesn't involve me settling on my admittedly finicky goals before I settle for Null Audio. :-)post #147 of 1486/5/15 at 6:45pmUE has a new version of the mic cable with the nice slim controls/mic instead of the big clunky ones.
The only rub is they only offer it for the new style connectors.
Considering I just finished repairing my UM reshells due to the old UE cable fatiguing and breaking a pin off in the IEM as well as the plug area developing some cracks, I figured they were not going to survive such an incident.
As a result I thought I'd try epoxying a cable in place and I thought I'd try the new UE cable.
I cut the shroud off and test fitted. I needed to trim a bit of length from the pins. After getting a snug fit, I hit it with a bit of clear epoxy.
Over all I'm very pleased with the result. Hopefully this will improve the longevity of the setup.
-johnReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- iPhone cable (with mic) for UE or JH IEM's
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › Vali 2 tube rolling 1 minute ago
- › Fiio E18 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 1 minute ago
- › The AK320 thread 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO E12 Review 3 minutes ago
- › DUNU 4 Driver, 5 Driver new Hybrid earphone presentation on 2015... 3 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar... 4 minutes ago
- › Ray Samuels Dark Star vs Cavalli Liquid Gold 5 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by mark2410
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by vapman
- › NuForce HEM6 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Triple... by Hi-Fi EDU
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by jant71
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by BloodyPenguin
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by glennkresge
- › Unique Melody Miracle V2 Universal six driver in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by MMansell
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by stweb
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...