"KDE250 owners out there to say more about them."
Concerning the KDE/250
Portable: Cowon S9 32GB
Home: Sony Stereo w/5 Disc Changer
.flac ~1000kbps (Bon Jovi, Celine Dion, Def Leppard, Mariah Carey, Yanni, etc.)
.mp3 ~128-320kbps (The Killers, Queen, Black Eyed Peas, Filmscore, etc.)
1. Darkness: They can and do sound dark in some instances. They can also sound bright and smooth, or pretty much anything else the song or source can requires and can output.
2. Bass: Depending on how far in they go for you; quality and quantity both increase with deeper fit (you need a large ear canal and anti-helix)
3. Lacking Details: Timbre wise, these are the most detailed & accurate phones I have ever experienced. Vocals remain pristine even in bass heavy songs, and when the EQ (Jet Effect 3.0, or Stereo 5 band graphic EQ) pushes the bass to the point of distortion (which happens rarely at extreme volumes)
4. Strange Soundstage: I agree. The speakers are at a perpendicular angle, and the woofer is further away than the tweeter; this does sound different. They sound semi-open, less of the cave effect of closed phones, but not as extended into the space around your head.
5. Fit: They fit me well; They fit others terribly. I have only met two other people who are able to fully insert them. It takes about 3 minutes to adjust the fit when I (monthly) change the ear clips. Most people don't take even a minute to make the proper adjustments. They hurt after 2 hours with hard insertion, pulling on the back of my ear to grip the housing to my head. With more casual insertion, I can wear them for most of the day (pushing them back in every 30 minutes or so)
Note: to test how they fit for you, try wearing them without the earclips attached, if they stay in, they probably fit.
As for KDE250, I did a brief listening to them last year's summer when my another friend visited me (It is good to have audio-fevers friends). Can't really remember exactly how they sound, but if my memory serves me right (please take this into account), they are dark, fairly good amount of bass, but kind of lacking details...They didn't impressed me. And I feel the soundstage to be strange, and the fit...Much more troublesome than the Air, and hurt your ears as the big housing of the earbuds go in vertically. My friend bought them at around 25000yen (near 270 dollars I think) that time. (You can find them at 140 dollars from Amazon). I can't really comment much, so...Hope there are KDE250 owners out there to say more about them.