or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony A-847/Ipod Touch 64G vs Sony MZ-RH1/Onkyo MD 133
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony A-847/Ipod Touch 64G vs Sony MZ-RH1/Onkyo MD 133

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Hi

I currently own a Sony MZ-RH1 and the Onkyo MD 133 home unit which play both Hi-MD/Regular MD disc. I have hardly used these at all and have been considering getting the Sony A-847 or the Ipod touch 64g.
But reading the different forums I'm under the impression that what I have sounds better than any Mp3 player on the market? Is this true?

My main music source is CD and I would be recording my music in the best format before I transferred it either to my MP3 player or my Hi-MD units.

HI QUALITY SOUND is the most important concern to me, PERIOD.

Which ever I do end up using I will purchase high end Iem's(Shure 530ee) to use.

I would prefer hearing from people that have owned or do own any of these products.


Tell me what you think and why.

Thanks
GJ
post #2 of 20
I really depends on what you mean by high SQ. I am a Sony fan, but for balanced armatures, I cannot stand Sony. One reason is hiss. Both the Sony and Apple iPod touch (though I don't know the new iPod touch 3G) have similar problems when driving anything but dynamics: roll off and suck out.

Both suffer output problems, but the iPod touch doesn't hiss nearly as much as the Sony. It also has gapless.

Sony's has dedicated buttons, way better EQ system, and has Sony's marketing at its back which will tell you it is the best sounding device.

I ordered an A845, have an iPod touch and will use them both. Unfortunately, there is no perfect device (I wish there was).

Don't ask for high quality sound - you won't find it from the boards. You will hear about richness, accuracy, 'quality', but nothing on real, guiding performance as a measure of quality, just personal opinions.

I'd choose which device serves your purposes better. With an iPod, you get a pretty close to useless EQ, but almost no hiss; you also get gapless, but if you play with EQ; if you find yourself toggling treble up/down, then get the Sony. But, the SE530 hiss like mad from the Sony.
post #3 of 20
A847 will be better if you like SQ of your RH1.

By the way, some very old models such as Nomad Jukebox series, or Kenwood B9 are surely with close or even better SQ than MD of RH1 level.
post #4 of 20
This is the way these threads normally go:

1. poster insists on 'SQ above all else'

2. advice is given re something 'exotic' (HiFiMan or rockboxed iPod etc)

3. poster sees asking price of same and thread peters out or is hijacked

The reality is that portable audio is a massive compromise, even for those willing to cart media like the minidisc around. shigzeo has given good advice here - dont ask for 'high quality sound'. I also like Sony, but their players are not to everyone's taste.
post #5 of 20
The other thing I'd add is what IEMs/headphones do you want to use? Not all portables sound good with every delivery mechanism.
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
Both suffer output problems, but the iPod touch doesn't hiss nearly as much as the Sony. It also has gapless.
You will find when your A845 arrives that there is hiss even at the max 30 volume level
post #7 of 20
Well, the X hisses pretty bad at any volume level and so too does the 828, 615, old HD units - I am fully aware of it. I have a special cable which may help it out a bit... who knows.
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
Well, the X hisses pretty bad at any volume level and so too does the 828, 615, old HD units - I am fully aware of it. I have a special cable which may help it out a bit... who knows.
My s639f also hissed but we have both A840 and s640 players in the house and they are dead silent although their is a little bit of static type noise when you scroll the volume buttons on the 640s with no music playing.

anyways, you find out soon enough shigzeo. I think you will be very pleasently surprised.

btw I saw in a different post that you will over here in a few weeks. if you have time try to check out the fx700. they are very, very good IM0 with much better mids and treble than my fx500.


I`m sure many members will be interested in your views on them.
post #9 of 20
Thanks javajive - I've very few funds now as most have been sunk in headphone repairs, but when I come across some, I'll be sure to buy the FX700.
post #10 of 20
@shigzeo Looks like I have to eat the words I said about the A840 series not hissing. I had never heard it before with my other IEMs (maybe because they dont isolate as well or perhaps I wasnt listening closely enough) but I just tried listening for it again with my CK10s after I saw in a post that you could hear it with an A845. There is indeed some hiss although for my ears it is quite faint.

Apologies to you and anyone I may have misled.
post #11 of 20
Quote:
I currently own a Sony MZ-RH1 and the Onkyo MD 133 home unit which play both Hi-MD/Regular MD disc. I have hardly used these at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post
This is the way these threads normally go:

yada yada yada OFF-TOPIC WTB spin-off threads
How are you finding the quality fo the Onkyo MD133?

I'm thinking of buying one, but just a bit put off by the size. Are you unhappy with the sound quality of this, or is it just the inconvenience factor of mini-discs compared to digital/virtual media?

Sorry I can't help - I have a MZ-RH1 and a iPod 4G Classic Video and none of the others. The MZ-RH1 is miles better for sound fidelity and sheer enjoyability as far as I can tell.
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by javajive View Post
@shigzeo Looks like I have to eat the words I said about the A840 series not hissing. I had never heard it before with my other IEMs (maybe because they dont isolate as well or perhaps I wasnt listening closely enough) but I just tried listening for it again with my CK10s after I saw in a post that you could hear it with an A845. There is indeed some hiss although for my ears it is quite faint.

Apologies to you and anyone I may have misled.
I find there is quite a bit of hiss on the A847 with IEMs, I would not buy the player if you intend to mainly use it with a typical pair of IEMs (~20 ohm imp./high sensitivity).

With my ESW10 there is still a very small of hiss, but when music is playing, it is soft enough for it to be not an intrusion.
post #13 of 20
I've not used a Sony outside of their older MD units and 636 which hasn't hissed. Eventually I get used to it, but it really detracts from detail and nuance and is annoying to say the least. I love the warm, fun signature though, so I keep buying them like an idiot!

Jive- sorry to hear that you suddenly found hiss with an earphone. The CK100 are actually quite sensitive to hiss, but their 55Ω help them to be driven better from portables like the Sony.
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 

Onkyo MD133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_case View Post
How are you finding the quality fo the Onkyo MD133?

I'm thinking of buying one, but just a bit put off by the size. Are you unhappy with the sound quality of this, or is it just the inconvenience factor of mini-discs compared to digital/virtual media?

Sorry I can't help - I have a MZ-RH1 and a iPod 4G Classic Video and none of the others. The MZ-RH1 is miles better for sound fidelity and sheer enjoyability as far as I can tell.
Headcase do you have an email address?
So I can talk about my MD133
GJ
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk3 View Post
I find there is quite a bit of hiss on the A847 with IEMs, I would not buy the player if you intend to mainly use it with a typical pair of IEMs (~20 ohm imp./high sensitivity).

With my ESW10 there is still a very small of hiss, but when music is playing, it is soft enough for it to be not an intrusion.
I have the A846 and a pair of IE8's. I hear no hiss at all...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony A-847/Ipod Touch 64G vs Sony MZ-RH1/Onkyo MD 133