or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. - Page 333

post #4981 of 4995
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Popovich View Post

If you think that sounds good, just wait until you try the V5 in a Supreme Sound Lycan. You'll think you died and went to heaven. If you can, put it on your future purchase list (it's very affordably priced). After hearing the Lycan, with the V5, the Matrix M-Stage will sound slow, and sloppy. I really want to love my Matrix M-Stage again, but the Lycan is just so quick, with every musical note. Vocalists sound like they are standing right in front of you, singing to no one else but you. BTW, what is your current headphone of choice? 

Lol! There's always the next step up wink.gif

The Lycan looks really nice though, I will have to read up a bit.

I've got way to many headphones (surprise in here) but for the last year the Fidelio X2's have been my favorite. The Q701, SR325is and a couple of different modded T50RP's also get some head time.

You lucky dog. I wish I could get some head time...:rolleyes:

post #4982 of 4995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Popovich View Post
 

If you think that sounds good, just wait until you try the V5 in a Supreme Sound Lycan. You'll think you died and went to heaven. If you can, put it on your future purchase list (it's very affordably priced). After hearing the Lycan, with the V5, the Matrix M-Stage will sound slow, and sloppy. I really want to love my Matrix M-Stage again, but the Lycan is just so quick, with every musical note. Vocalists sound like they are standing right in front of you, singing to no one else but you. BTW, what is your current headphone of choice? 

The only place that I can find that sells the V5 is Austrailia, 

post #4983 of 4995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliemotta View Post

The only place that I can find that sells the V5 is Austrailia, 

Yep, that's where I got mine wink.gif
post #4984 of 4995
post #4985 of 4995

I just got used HPA-1 from ebay. To my surprise when I open it I have noticed that condensators are scratched:

 

 

 

 

Any thoughts please?

Is the production quality so poor?

post #4986 of 4995

 

There are a couple of scratches on one of the capacitors in mine. It's about 4 years old and still works great. I wouldn't worry about it.

post #4987 of 4995

^^

Those are not scratches. Take a look at the small electrolyte capacitors. There are lines there as well. They are strategically weakened parts of the casing which will bulge upwards and help the capacitor release hydrogen and/or electrolyte in case of pressure build up due to overheating. 

post #4988 of 4995

Besides of that you can seee there are some scratches also. It's strange but if it works well...

post #4989 of 4995
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiee36 View Post
 

Besides of that you can seee there are some scratches also. It's strange but if it works well...

 

Oh thanks :) I didn't see the real scratches. :bigsmile_face:

post #4990 of 4995

Updated M-Stage: http://www.head-fi.org/t/801601/new-matrix-audio-hpa-2c-classic-amp-dac

 

Received mine today, but not had a chance to listen to it as I'm at work. Hopefully have some impressions this evening, test it with the Fostex TH500rp, Beyer T1 and others.

post #4991 of 4995
~
Edited by socks mk2 - 3/23/16 at 1:30am
post #4992 of 4995

Every time i want to listen to my speakers i have to plug out my headphones.

Is there a way to mod the amplifier so i can have a switch between headphone out and line out? 

post #4993 of 4995
do somebody know how the Matrix M Stage HPA-1 with the Burson Audio V5 SS (Supreme Sound) op-amp chip compares to the Gustard H10? Im asking because the H10 is on massdrop for a great price, but if I get a lot of its performance by upgrading my Matrix with the Burson op amp I will safe some $$
post #4994 of 4995

Rolling opamp tunes the sound to a degree, can get you a small performance boost if you use something like LME49860 or OPA827, but from what I read, slight changes won't be enough for M-Stage to compare to the H10.  You're better off going with the H10.

I intend to as well, later.

post #4995 of 4995
Thanks Mad Max - I ended up buying the Gustard so looking forward to see how it performs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.