How does the Matrix M-Stage sound with the Sennheiser HD800?
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/22/10
- categoryCablestagged by System, 7/12/10
- brandDarkvoicetagged by System, 1/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/28/10
- productK240 DFtagged by System, 4/5/11
- productLuxman P-1utagged by System, 8/10/11
- productMatrix M-Stagetagged by System, 6/11/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 7/19/10
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/10/11
- productSleek Audio SA1 Siam Rosewood Earphonestagged by System, 8/10/11More
- productUltimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio Earphones (White)tagged by System, 4/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Good quality DAC/amp for HD600 Last post on 8/15/12 at 6:42am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- **Nuforce Icon hdp or Matrix M Stage USB 2012* Last post on 5/31/12 at 10:06am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for T70p - Price = 2-400 USD Last post on 12/4/11 at 1:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC/amp to drive K701 suggestions Last post on 8/17/11 at 2:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 6/29/15
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 5/24/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Westone for providing me with review sample in exchange for my honest opinion....
An early welcome greeted me when I arrived in Los Angeles for the 2015 CanJam SoCal meet: A new pair of MrSpeakers headphones. Dan Clark, having spent many years modifying the inexpensive...
This will be more of my impressions/comparisons and less of a review. I will be comparing them to the HD800 & K712 Pro ran over USB to the Cayin Spark C5 DAC/Amp (HD800 - Low Gain, K12 - Low Gain,...
This review is based in my experience of almost 6 months with them, running 24/96 Flacs > Foobar2K > Wasapi > Asus Realtek ALC1150 + 4580 Op-amp > HD668B I decided to reboot my interest in audio...
It is surprising that no one else has posted a review, maybe all are enjoying it too much to bother. I've been holding back from writing a review because it is important to live with a mobile...
Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. - Page 329
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4922 of 49295/15/15 at 5:54pmQuote:
I've used the M Stage with the HD800 and it is surprisingly good for a budget system. I think the HD800 happens to be a very good match with the M Stage but hardly end game. You might also want to consider the Gustard H10 as they are both good budget solutions.post #4923 of 49295/15/15 at 11:44pm
I tried but I couldn't tell the difference between matrix m stage and my friends ~$5000 custom tube amp (someone more experienced probably could).
After that I stopped looking and listening to amps and I focused on music.post #4924 of 49295/16/15 at 5:45amQuote:
And there's nothing wrong with that!
I drink to you, sir!
The ugly truth is.....
I used to have a fairly expensive vacuum tube pre-amp.
One sad day I compared it to a few cheaper (and more modern) pre-amps; Solid State and Solid State/Vacuum Tube hybrids.
Even the cheapest one was obviously superior!
Edited by Chris J - 5/16/15 at 6:10ampost #4925 of 49296/1/15 at 11:34am
My Matrix M-Stage HPA2 USB has finally arrived.But they send me the wrong power cord (240v)
I live in Vancouver so is it safe to just simply plug it in and use it?
Vancouver British Columbiapost #4926 of 49296/1/15 at 2:47pmQuote:
The amp must be set to 120 Vac!
You will not harm an amp set for 240 vac if you plug in into a 120 Vac outlet, OTOH, the amp will not work. I'm in Canada too, BTW.
I have a Matrix Quattro headphone amp. It was shipped 240 Vac, I had to move a jumper on the back of the amp next to the AC input to use it.post #4927 of 49296/1/15 at 6:06pmpost #4928 of 49296/5/15 at 7:30pmpost #4929 of 49296/25/15 at 9:54am
Currently using K701 + M-stage HPA-1 with LM4562NA opamp
I didn't really expect to get some 'wow' factor from this amp the first time I listened to it. Well it certainly doesn't make me go "OMG DELICIOUS SOUND BEST AMP EVAR", but rather, in my first few songs I was like "uhm.. okay. it's good." No overly emotional eargasm or something like that.
But the more I listen to the K701 with the HPA-1, the more I appreciate its kinda neutral* and very detailed presentation.I don't know how exactly to describe it, but it's certainly one of the best sound I've heard with my AKG headphones. And I've tried quite a few amps with the K701 that really made it sing.
*I dunno if it's just me, but I find the midrange to be just a bit forward. It's actually the first thing I noticed with the amp's sound. Overall it's still a lot more neutral than, say, an O2, which I find to slightly add some weight on the low end, making the K701 sound less thin. Heck I actually think O2 made K701's mids a bit thicker than with the HPA-1.
- Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 33 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 46 seconds ago
- › New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster" 2 minutes ago
- › Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 3 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 5 minutes ago
- › Meizu MX4 Pro 7 minutes ago
- › Custom Art's First Foray into Acrylic CIEMs: Ei.3 8 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 8 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 8 minutes ago
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by maikuirock
- › Superlux HD-668 B by ingenero
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by cloud_c
- › PreSonus HD7 Professional Monitoring Headphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Phiaton PS 210 BTNC Bluetooth 3.0 Active Noise Cancelling Stereo... by audionut44
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by RedTwilight
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)