I should add this is with the LCD-3 headphones, which are laid back and benefit from a little bit of powerful texture and attack. The HD650s sound very hard and fatiguing with it and I'd probably prefer any of the other op-amps with those headphones.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/22/10
- categoryCablestagged by System, 7/12/10
- brandDarkvoicetagged by System, 1/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/28/10
- productK240 DFtagged by System, 4/5/11
- productLuxman P-1utagged by System, 8/10/11
- productMatrix M-Stagetagged by System, 6/11/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 7/19/10
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/10/11
- productSleek Audio SA1 Siam Rosewood Earphonestagged by System, 8/10/11More
- productUltimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio Earphones (White)tagged by System, 4/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Good quality DAC/amp for HD600 Last post on 8/15/12 at 6:42am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- **Nuforce Icon hdp or Matrix M Stage USB 2012* Last post on 5/31/12 at 10:06am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for T70p - Price = 2-400 USD Last post on 12/4/11 at 1:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC/amp to drive K701 suggestions Last post on 8/17/11 at 2:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
These headphones generally are excellent. They possess this remarkable mixture of openness and intimacy at the same time. There’s a true sense of soundstage, with a good width and depth and still...
Brainwavz S0 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Full Review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/743834/brainwavz-s0-review-by-mark2410 Brief: The S5 has a baby...
Over the recent months, Creative has been bursting out some pretty nice portable gears aiming from the basic casual user all the way up to serious audiophiles. Most importantly, they are pricing...
Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. - Page 327post #4891 of 49039/19/14 at 10:37am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4892 of 49039/20/14 at 4:45amQuote:Originally Posted by Chodi
This just goes to prove that we all hear differently and have different listening preferences. I had an M Stage from Tam and I had ordered the op627 class "A" from him just because of all the chatter. I could not listen to his class "A" mod for thirty minutes before I took it out of the system and tossed it. I thought it was terrible. Eventually I found an op amp combo for my M Stage that I liked a lot but the op627 was dark and overly warm sounding to me. I have since replaced my M Stage but I still think it was an excellent value and great sounding with my HD800's.
I didn't like the Class A OP627 either, too warm and fuzzy.post #4893 of 490310/16/14 at 9:35pmpost #4894 of 490310/18/14 at 12:35ampost #4895 of 490310/21/14 at 4:23pm
Grados all pair well with the M-Stage, although there's no feedback in the thread regarding PS500, but going from what I've read about the 500, perhaps an amp with better treble would make you happier.post #4896 of 490310/22/14 at 7:08amQuote:
Well I am going for the Matrix M Stage HPA 02 as per your suggestion. All other alternatives are pretty costly.post #4897 of 490311/24/14 at 8:49am
Question: Should I be able to output to a pair of active speakers(Focal XS Book) using the M-Stage's RCA output? Is that considered to be a double amplified setup? I heard it's dangerous to do so since that will damage my speakers. Really need your input here!
Edited by energyd - 11/24/14 at 9:18ampost #4898 of 490311/24/14 at 1:31pm
Active speakers like KRK Rokits are the right choice, alternatively passive speakers hooked up to a power amp (no preamp), and the M-Stage can be their preamp, but wireless speakers? Nothing bad will happen, especially when you will be plugging the M-Stage into the receiver/transmitter and not the speakers themselves. However, those Focals are probably made to take line-outs, so you may or may not end up with a lot of volume range to play with before the speakers start to distort. No, that won't damage them, your music will just sound bad in the event of distortion, that's all.post #4899 of 490311/24/14 at 2:19pmpost #4900 of 490311/24/14 at 2:36pm
I just explained what you need to be wary of. The M-Stage has a preamp out, its volume varies with the volume control. A line-out has a fixed, very loud volume. Some equipment may sometimes label preamp outputs as "line-outs". It can get confusing that way.post #4901 of 490311/24/14 at 2:38pmQuote:
Yup you'll be totally fine. I run a similar set-up and basically use the M-stage as a preamp. I'd never seen those speakers before. Certainly sleek and modern looking!post #4902 of 490311/25/14 at 6:25am
- Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread 24 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode 25 seconds ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 33 seconds ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 53 seconds ago
- › Suggestions on a $150 budget for strictly music listening 1 minute ago
- › Audio GD 11.32 vs. Schiit Magni/Modi cs. O2/ODAC 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014:... 2 minutes ago
- › Good headphones for gaming 2 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)