I should add this is with the LCD-3 headphones, which are laid back and benefit from a little bit of powerful texture and attack. The HD650s sound very hard and fatiguing with it and I'd probably prefer any of the other op-amps with those headphones.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/22/10
- categoryCablestagged by System, 7/12/10
- brandDarkvoicetagged by System, 1/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/28/10
- productK240 DFtagged by System, 4/5/11
- productLuxman P-1utagged by System, 8/10/11
- productMatrix M-Stagetagged by System, 6/11/10
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 7/19/10
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/10/11
- productSleek Audio SA1 Siam Rosewood Earphonestagged by System, 8/10/11More
- productUltimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio Earphones (White)tagged by System, 4/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Good quality DAC/amp for HD600 Last post on 8/15/12 at 6:42am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- **Nuforce Icon hdp or Matrix M Stage USB 2012* Last post on 5/31/12 at 10:06am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for T70p - Price = 2-400 USD Last post on 12/4/11 at 1:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC/amp to drive K701 suggestions Last post on 8/17/11 at 2:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
This is a good amplifier in my limited experience, *but*, it might not better than some of the leading solid-state competitors in this price range ($500-600). I haven't compared it too, for...
Wonderful headset. Very underrated because razer gets a lot of hate for being mainstream
The Awei Q9s are really bang for bucks! You can't go wrong with these! Unless you have tiny ears... Packaging: the packaging is standard. It brings the S/M/L tips and a shirt-clip. However, the...
I just got these in from Koss today and initial impressions are incredibly positive. These are Koss' second best headphone available that I have tried (DJ100, DJ200, PRO4AA, PRO4AAT, PRO4AAAT, and...
Comfort and build quality these would not look out of place at £600. Out of all the headphones I have tried these have the best overall sound which works with every type of music and overall sound...
Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. - Page 327post #4891 of 49049/19/14 at 10:37am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4892 of 49049/20/14 at 4:45amQuote:Originally Posted by Chodi
This just goes to prove that we all hear differently and have different listening preferences. I had an M Stage from Tam and I had ordered the op627 class "A" from him just because of all the chatter. I could not listen to his class "A" mod for thirty minutes before I took it out of the system and tossed it. I thought it was terrible. Eventually I found an op amp combo for my M Stage that I liked a lot but the op627 was dark and overly warm sounding to me. I have since replaced my M Stage but I still think it was an excellent value and great sounding with my HD800's.
I didn't like the Class A OP627 either, too warm and fuzzy.post #4893 of 490410/16/14 at 9:35pmpost #4894 of 490410/18/14 at 12:35ampost #4895 of 490410/21/14 at 4:23pm
Grados all pair well with the M-Stage, although there's no feedback in the thread regarding PS500, but going from what I've read about the 500, perhaps an amp with better treble would make you happier.post #4896 of 490410/22/14 at 7:08amQuote:
Well I am going for the Matrix M Stage HPA 02 as per your suggestion. All other alternatives are pretty costly.post #4897 of 490411/24/14 at 8:49am
Question: Should I be able to output to a pair of active speakers(Focal XS Book) using the M-Stage's RCA output? Is that considered to be a double amplified setup? I heard it's dangerous to do so since that will damage my speakers. Really need your input here!
Edited by energyd - 11/24/14 at 9:18ampost #4898 of 490411/24/14 at 1:31pm
Active speakers like KRK Rokits are the right choice, alternatively passive speakers hooked up to a power amp (no preamp), and the M-Stage can be their preamp, but wireless speakers? Nothing bad will happen, especially when you will be plugging the M-Stage into the receiver/transmitter and not the speakers themselves. However, those Focals are probably made to take line-outs, so you may or may not end up with a lot of volume range to play with before the speakers start to distort. No, that won't damage them, your music will just sound bad in the event of distortion, that's all.post #4899 of 490411/24/14 at 2:19pmpost #4900 of 490411/24/14 at 2:36pm
I just explained what you need to be wary of. The M-Stage has a preamp out, its volume varies with the volume control. A line-out has a fixed, very loud volume. Some equipment may sometimes label preamp outputs as "line-outs". It can get confusing that way.post #4901 of 490411/24/14 at 2:38pmQuote:
Yup you'll be totally fine. I run a similar set-up and basically use the M-stage as a preamp. I'd never seen those speakers before. Certainly sleek and modern looking!post #4902 of 490411/25/14 at 6:25ampost #4903 of 490411/25/14 at 6:28ampost #4904 of 490412/4/14 at 7:59am
Tried the Matrix MStage HPA 02 headphone amp+dac with my Grado PS500. I dont suggest this pairing. The midrange Grado magic is lost. There is nothing about the midrange that seems appealing anymore. Or am I doing something wrong or is the midrange compressed as it is for Matrix M Stage HPA 02?
- Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Fiio X3/X5 vs. Ipod 5.5G + Fiio e12 15 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 46 seconds ago
- › WTB AK240 1 minute ago
- › The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery 1 minute ago
- › EQ plugin for Mac 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Ibasso Oriolus Hybrid iem 3 minutes ago
- › Bottlehead Crack OTL Headphone Amplifier with Speedball Upgrade 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 4 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 5 minutes ago
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)