Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. - Page 319

post #4771 of 4781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post
 

Sorry for the late post I just noticed this. I sold my M Stage since I have the Auralic Taurus so no photo. The white dot (circle) printed on the top is the indication of the notch. Just use that for your reference.

Well, it is definitely not the volume knob...

Thing started to smell really bad.

Putting it in the other way seems to work normally.

Though I won't test until later to see if the damage has been done.

 

So much for not opening yours up to check and letting me know... :mad: 

 

Unless, it was a fake... but I used the link you provided.


Edited by conquerator2 - Yesterday at 5:12 am
post #4772 of 4781
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post
 

Well, it is definitely not the volume knob...

Thing started to smell really bad.

Putting it in the other way seems to work normally.

Though I won't test until later to see if the damage has been done.

 

So much for not opening yours up to check and letting me know... :mad: 

 

Unless, it was a fake... but I used the link you provided.

Sorry to hear. I had already sold mine so it was impossible for me to open and check. Anyway, if you reversed it and it is playing music it is working and you should be fine. If you ordered it from the folks in Thailand on ebay it was certainly not a fake. I used mine for a long time and enjoyed it but when I upgraded to the Taurus it was no contest. I sold the M Stage the next day.

post #4773 of 4781

The good news is that it is working normally so far.

The R1 and R4 components seemed to have burned out though but that's about the excess of the damage...

Recommendations?

Keep using it or not?

 

 

EDIT: As long as it works flawlessly, I'll keep using it. Since there are about 30 of these R thingies, two probably don't mean much.

Plus I like the sound :]


Edited by conquerator2 - Yesterday at 6:22 am
post #4774 of 4781
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post
 

The good news is that it is working normally so far.

The R1 and R4 components seemed to have burned out though but that's about the excess of the damage...

Recommendations?

Keep using it or not?

 

 

EDIT: As long as it works flawlessly, I'll keep using it. Since there are about 30 of these R thingies, two probably don't mean much.

Plus I like the sound :]

Those two resistors probably have not failed or you would not be getting normal if any sound. You might want to have those two resistors changed at some point. They are  common resistors. If you don't want to do it any tech can change them in a few minutes. I would advise changing them out as they might work for ever or they might fail. 

post #4775 of 4781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

Those two resistors probably have not failed or you would not be getting normal if any sound. You might want to have those two resistors changed at some point. They are  common resistors. If you don't want to do it any tech can change them in a few minutes. I would advise changing them out as they might work for ever or they might fail. 

Ok
Should they fail, will it cause any damage?
Or can I keep using them and should they fail there won't be any consequences?
Thanks
post #4776 of 4781

On the matter of the op-amp, I think it's great. It shaves off a bit of sibilance and sounds a bit more spacious than the LM4562. It is still burning-in though.

I'll have the two half-burnt resistors changed, a friend of mine knows this stuff.

post #4777 of 4781
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

The good news is that it is working normally so far.


The R1 and R4 components seemed to have burned out though but that's about the excess of the damage...


Recommendations?


Keep using it or not?



EDIT: As long as it works flawlessly, I'll keep using it. Since there are about 30 of these R thingies, two probably don't mean much.


Plus I like the sound :]


 



Can you take a photo with a wider angle?
Hard to tell where these resistors are on the circuit board.
If the feedback resistors were to open up, you could destroy your headphones
post #4778 of 4781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

The good news is that it is working normally so far.


The R1 and R4 components seemed to have burned out though but that's about the excess of the damage...


Recommendations?


Keep using it or not?



EDIT: As long as it works flawlessly, I'll keep using it. Since there are about 30 of these R thingies, two probably don't mean much.


Plus I like the sound :]


 



Can you take a photo with a wider angle?
Hard to tell where these resistors are on the circuit board.
If the feedback resistors were to open up, you could destroy your headphones

It's the pair that's encircled in red.

post #4779 of 4781

This is a pic from my M-Stage from 2012, seems they in Matrix had a different set of resistors back then, 

 

 


Edited by GaToMaLaCo - Yesterday at 4:20 pm
post #4780 of 4781
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post
 

On the matter of the op-amp, I think it's great. It shaves off a bit of sibilance and sounds a bit more spacious than the LM4562. It is still burning-in though.

I'll have the two half-burnt resistors changed, a friend of mine knows this stuff.

Good idea change them soon to avoid problems. If your friend is not handy with a soldering iron then any tech shop that does repair could do it as it is a simple repair.

post #4781 of 4781
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaToMaLaCo View Post
 

This is a pic from my M-Stage from 2012, seems they in Matrix had a different set of resistors back then, 

 

 

 

They changed the board layout.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.