Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. - Page 316

post #4726 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by henree View Post
 

Mmmnnn very exotic looking. If the 4562 has a little too much gain. Would this be okay for 25ohm Denon headphones?

Yes, the gain is adjustable on the bottom of the amp. I tried several opamps and the set I suggested was the best I have heard. Should not make any difference what headphones you are using. It will get the best the M Stage can deliver.

post #4727 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post
 

Yes, the gain is adjustable on the bottom of the amp. I tried several opamps and the set I suggested was the best I have heard. Should not make any difference what headphones you are using. It will get the best the M Stage can deliver.

What are the sonic characteristics of this opamp? I do not want anything dry or flabby in the bass.

post #4728 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by henree View Post
 

What are the sonic characteristics of this opamp? I do not want anything dry or flabby in the bass.

It is transparent and dynamic with tight bass. Goes very deep. Slightly on the warm side as that is the character of the M Stage. 

post #4729 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

It is transparent and dynamic with tight bass. Goes very deep. Slightly on the warm side as that is the character of the M Stage. 

Is this compared to stock or the LM4562?
post #4730 of 4901

Guys,

 

What is your opinion on M stage VS O2 amp?

 

There are very less comparisons between these two. Any light upon this topic would be really helpful.

 

Purely based upon SQ, ignoring all other factors like price and portability.

post #4731 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post


Is this compared to stock or the LM4562?

Compared to stock. Honestly it has been so long since I tried the LM4562 I can't recall. I just remember when I tried the combination I suggested it hit my sweet spot and locked in what I was looking for. I did not carry it any further as there was no need. I will warn you that no opamp is going to turn a $300 amp into a $2000 amp. At the $300 price point your risk level is very low. Everyone hears differently  and my experience is listening to mostly classical music. All I can tell you is that I have 2 tube amps and I have added the Auralic Taurus and the M Stage is not in the league of the Auralic but not completely embarrassed with the HD800's. That is high praise for the $300 M Stage.

post #4732 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by henree View Post

Mmmnnn very exotic looking. If the 4562 has a little too much gain. Would this be okay for 25ohm Denon headphones?

This is a very complicated question, but the simple answer is :

The LM4562 has as much gain as all the other Op Amps that can be used in the M Stage.
The gain is actually set by the DiP switches on the bottom of the amp, not by the choice of Op Amp.
post #4733 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


This is a very complicated question, but the simple answer is :

The LM4562 has as much gain as all the other Op Amps that can be used in the M Stage.
The gain is actually set by the DiP switches on the bottom of the amp, not by the choice of Op Amp.

Maybe I shouldn't have said gain. I just notice that the 4562 for me is fatiguing. And I usually get a sense of my ears feeling plugged after listening to it. Thats with no gain toggled on the swithches. The opa 2107 and the 2134 have no effect at all on my ears. If I set the gain to 10 with the 2107 I will get fatigued. 

post #4734 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by henree View Post

Maybe I shouldn't have said gain. I just notice that the 4562 for me is fatiguing. And I usually get a sense of my ears feeling plugged after listening to it. Thats with no gain toggled on the swithches. The opa 2107 and the 2134 have no effect at all on my ears. If I set the gain to 10 with the 2107 I will get fatigued. 

Ah!
(He smacks his head!)
Now I am understanding!
Yes, I agree, the LM4562 is a bit brighter than the 2134!
post #4735 of 4901

Did the Class-A Bias mod on my HPA1 tonight. Thoughts:

 

Class-A Biased OP627AP (new) vs OPA2134 (old):

Lows: slightly more power, punch/thump

Mids: more forward, both male and female vocals are brought forward a bit, and pretty nice.
Highs: slightly more detail and sparkle

Soundstage: Wider, really nice staging actually.

 

Pretty happy with that :)

post #4736 of 4901
I have the LM4562 in now and am contemplating the 49710...
I also own ths LT1364 which is way too bright.
post #4737 of 4901
Mm LT1364 is my favorite with HD800s.
post #4738 of 4901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Mm LT1364 is my favorite with HD800s.

0_0 You gotta be kitten me!
post #4739 of 4901
post #4740 of 4901
I couldn't stand it with the K612!
The LM4562 solved that issue
issue... Well mostly but it's the headphones FR.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.