Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. - Page 309

post #4621 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post
 

There are lots of comments in this thread about switching opamps. Both opamps you reference will work but the LM4562 is the one most commented on and generally given good reviews. If you use a dual opamp you are not going to get a BIG change but it can make an audible difference. If you want a significant step up try something like this:

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LME49710HA-X2-Adaptor-/180872434827?

 

Works for me and I went through a few duals before I found this. Now I don't feel the need for a change. 

I've ordered the LM4562 to get a somewhat warm sound and a dual LT1364 to get a sort of neutral/bright-ish sound, that's all I wan for now.

It makes very little difference anyways and I don't wanna get into this too much.

Thanks, regardless!


Edited by conquerator2 - 1/15/14 at 4:06am
post #4622 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

There are lots of comments in this thread about switching opamps. Both opamps you reference will work but the LM4562 is the one most commented on and generally given good reviews. If you use a dual opamp you are not going to get a BIG change but it can make an audible difference. If you want a significant step up try something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LME49710HA-X2-Adaptor-/180872434827?

Works for me and I went through a few duals before I found this. Now I don't feel the need for a change. 

That Op Amp is the same as the LM4562 in terms of functionality.

One LM4562 = two LME49710
Edited by Chris J - 1/15/14 at 4:35am
post #4623 of 4842

Beware of fakes!
I would buy from a reputable vendor, like Parts Connexion, Mouser, Newark, Electrosonic, etc.
post #4624 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


Beware of fakes!
I would buy from a reputable vendor, like Parts Connexion, Mouser, Newark, Electrosonic, etc.

Well I already bought those...

They are both reputable sellers so I hope they ain't fakes :]

post #4625 of 4842

If you only need one piece you can order a free sample from Texas Instruments directly, so it's guaranteed to be genuine :)

post #4626 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

If you only need one piece you can order a free sample from Texas Instruments directly, so it's guaranteed to be genuine :)

Now you tell me ... :]

I am positive they'll be genuine :D

post #4627 of 4842

what gain setting should i use with an hd598?
10gain? 0gain?
and will it pair well with it?


Edited by EinZweiDrei - 1/17/14 at 5:54am
post #4628 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinZweiDrei View Post
 

what gain setting should i use with an hd598?
10gain? 0gain?
and will it pair well with it?

Either 0 or 10.

10 will give you a bit more power and dynamics.

0 gives you a lot finer volume control.

post #4629 of 4842
Last night I decided to lower the gain from 18 down to 0. I'm using a set of AKG K702s.

I kind of liked the sound stage being emitted at 0. Didn't seem as 'harsh' in the mids as 18 is.

But wondering if the 'I know what I did' as opposed to an A/B test contributed to my thought.

Anyone with 702s listen at 0 gain on the M-stage?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
post #4630 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

Either 0 or 10.
10 will give you a bit more power and dynamics.
0 gives you a lot finer volume control.

The little switches don't adjust power, they adjust gain.

Anyway........once I adjust the volume, I can't tell the difference between 0, 10 and 18 dB of gain myself.

I usually stick with 10 dB of gain for my Qs 'cos I get finer volume control.

But your girlfriend is still hot.
post #4631 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustav29 View Post

Last night I decided to lower the gain from 18 down to 0. I'm using a set of AKG K702s.

I kind of liked the sound stage being emitted at 0. Didn't seem as 'harsh' in the mids as 18 is.

But wondering if the 'I know what I did' as opposed to an A/B test contributed to my thought.

Anyone with 702s listen at 0 gain on the M-stage?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Yup, mine is set at zero. I always leave my amplifiers at the lowest gain I need, for basically the same reason you found.

post #4632 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

Yup, mine is set at zero. I always leave my amplifiers at the lowest gain I need, for basically the same reason you found.

Some Op Amps may oscillate at low gain.

Try going back and forth a few times between 0 and 10 dB, assuming the Op Amp is not oscillating, after you go back and forth a few times you may think they sound the same.
post #4633 of 4842

LM4562 - slightly warm [installed, burning-in]

TI1364 - somewhat bright, detailed [just a quick test, too bright for the K612]

Stock [OPA2134] - more similar to the LM, but slightly more neutral perhaps [might get back to it, we'll see how the LM goes]

 

The differences are very subtle though [nowhere near as obvious as I thought.

Still its good to have a brighter, warmer and an op-amp in between :]


Edited by conquerator2 - 1/22/14 at 10:02am
post #4634 of 4842
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post
 

LM4562 - slightly warm [installed, burning-in]

TI1364 - somewhat bright, detailed [just a quick test, too bright for the K612]

Stock [OPA2134] - more similar to the LM, but slightly more neutral perhaps [might get back to it, we'll see how the LM goes]

 

The differences are very subtle though [nowhere near as obvious as I thought.

Still its good to have a brighter, warmer and an op-amp in between :]

 

Agreed.

The differences are very subtle.

post #4635 of 4842
Really hoping the K612 plays well with my M-Stage. It arrives tomorrow smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for giving that slight nudge, conq, and I'll definitely be sending them in to MLE for review.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.