Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. - Page 295

post #4411 of 4896
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

I don't like the 627x2 because it's too warm for me. I prefer the more neutral and open sounding LM4562. But everyone has different tastes so do what works for you :)

i have the LM4562 , i wana try it but for some reason when i try to play with the volume on M-Stage i get "bzzzzzzzzzzz , hissing" so annoying -.-'' i got mine from Digi-Key so i am sure about the quality :/ else i would been enjoying better Treble by now :< 

post #4412 of 4896
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

I don't like the 627x2 because it's too warm for me. I prefer the more neutral and open sounding LM4562. But everyone has different tastes so do what works for you :)

+1  I have the D100 MKII and M stage and I think its a great combo, but I did not like it when I had the opa627 in the M stage, way to muddy and warm.  I now have lm4562 and really enjoy the m stage d100 combo.  IMO it is about as close to neutral as you can get with super detail and resolution.  I find that the m stage has a fuller and slightly warmer sound than the d100 built in amp.


Edited by nickwin - 10/15/13 at 8:42am
post #4413 of 4896
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwin View Post
 

+1  I have the D100 MKII and M stage and I think its a great combo, but I did not like it when I had the opa627 in the M stage, way to muddy and warm.  I now have lm4562 and really enjoy the m stage d100 combo.  IMO it is about as close to neutral as you can get with super detail and resolution.  I find that the m stage has a fuller and slightly warmer sound than the d100 built in amp.

The LM4562 makes a pretty significant difference to the M-Stage, especially for the negligent cost. The stock op amp sounds almost identical to the D100 amp, but going from the LM4562 to the D100 the bass was noticeably looser and rumblier with less punch and impact. Not a $300 difference to justify having both the D100 and the M-Stage, but significant nonetheless.

post #4414 of 4896

just switched to LM4562, the problem that i mentioned is gone, maybe it was the gain which was on 18db , wasn't cool with TH600  , atm the gain is 10db, time to test this opamp :3

will i need to burn it in a little? cause it is the 1st 5 min so far and the treble seems less and not enjoyable what so ever unless i need to wait for some burning in :/ 


Edited by Shini44 - 10/15/13 at 12:20pm
post #4415 of 4896

The treble is a bit thin and sharp at first but opens up after a while. I don't think the actual quantity changes but the quality of the treble is different. It shouldn't take more than a few hours. Chips don't need lengthy burn in like drivers do.

post #4416 of 4896
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

The LM4562 makes a pretty significant difference to the M-Stage, especially for the negligent cost. The stock op amp sounds almost identical to the D100 amp, but going from the LM4562 to the D100 the bass was noticeably looser and rumblier with less punch and impact. Not a $300 difference to justify having both the D100 and the M-Stage, but significant nonetheless.

Whether its "worth it" or not is a very subjective call, but I will say that for me the difference was enough to warrant the $250 for the M-stage.  The difference is not drastic, but especially with my k701s the d100 amp seems brighter and thinner to me.  After using the d100 + m stage combo for 6 months its pretty obvious if I go back to the d100 amp.  

 

That said IMO this area of "mid-fi" is where diminishing returns start to really kick in, so I am not trying to say the difference is really obvious. I just feel its about as much of an improvement as I can get for the money without say trading in headphones.  For example I find the improvement I get from going from the d100 amp the the m stage is about comparable to the improvement I got from going from a HRT music streamer II ($150) to the D100 as a DAC ($400), both being a $250 upgrade.


Edited by nickwin - 10/17/13 at 8:47am
post #4417 of 4896

I have a question,

 

I have the AKG K501 and a Matrix M-Stage hp amp.

 A:   is it better to set a low gain but have the loudnessknob beyond 12 O'clock (around 1 - 4 o'clock)

 B:   or rather 10db gain setting and have the volume control at 9-13 o'clock?

 

what do you guys suggest, A or B?


Edited by amigastar - 10/23/13 at 3:15pm
post #4418 of 4896
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigastar View Post
 

I have a question,

 

I have the AKG K501 and a Matrix M-Stage hp amp.

 A:   is it better to set a low gain but have the loudnessknob beyond 12 O'clock (around 1 - 4 o'clock)

 B:   or rather 10db gain setting and have the volume control at 9-13 o'clock?

 

what do you guys suggest, A or B?

 

I'm not familiar with the K501 but with my K712 it performs the best at +10db to my ears. At +18db it is just as nice in sound (maybe even more engaging) but not as good, technically, because there isn't as much room for volume adjustment.


Edited by Change is Good - 10/23/13 at 3:46pm
post #4419 of 4896
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigastar View Post
 

I have a question,

 

I have the AKG K501 and a Matrix M-Stage hp amp.

 A:   is it better to set a low gain but have the loudnessknob beyond 12 O'clock (around 1 - 4 o'clock)

 B:   or rather 10db gain setting and have the volume control at 9-13 o'clock?

 

what do you guys suggest, A or B?

 

Always best to use lowest gain that you need on an amplifier.

post #4420 of 4896

Alright, thanks.

nonetheless i will have to compare 0db with 10db, but so far i tend to stick with 0db.

post #4421 of 4896
double post*

Edited by Change is Good - 10/23/13 at 3:45pm
post #4422 of 4896
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigastar View Post
 

I have a question,

 

I have the AKG K501 and a Matrix M-Stage hp amp.

 A:   is it better to set a low gain but have the loudnessknob beyond 12 O'clock (around 1 - 4 o'clock)

 B:   or rather 10db gain setting and have the volume control at 9-13 o'clock?

 

what do you guys suggest, A or B?

I'm a 10 dB guy with the matrix + Q701.

The volume control travel works best for me.......at 10 dB, lots of room to turn the volume UP or DOWN.

post #4423 of 4896

So I just got my HE-400s. 

 

At 0dB I get great performance on both my HE-400s, and Fostex T50RP. I also get pretty good performance on both my 600 ohm Beyers. 

 

This little amp does a great job driving just about anything. 

post #4424 of 4896

Guys, today when I woke up and put my matrix on again, there is a weird humming sound present. Tried tightening the screw, but I think I overscrewed. Didn't fix the humming nonetheless. Don't know what else to do to fix it. Ideas?

post #4425 of 4896
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEeziel View Post
 

Guys, today when I woke up and put my matrix on again, there is a weird humming sound present. Tried tightening the screw, but I think I overscrewed. Didn't fix the humming nonetheless. Don't know what else to do to fix it. Ideas?

Which screw?

 

Is there anything nearby causing interference? Check all your plugs/jacks, and make sure the op amp is tight.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.