Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. - Page 265

post #3961 of 4882
I cut 1 mm off the potentiometer shaft and installed the knob anew. Now there is no gap whatsoever and the amp looks much nicer.

post #3962 of 4882

People don't have to answer. That's fine. 

post #3963 of 4882
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybaffy View Post

Oh my... I always thought the idea that a headphone's sound would change by adjusting the gain on the amp was balony, but... just now I was feeling a little dissatisfied with my HD-650's bass output, and when I realized the gain was at the 10db level, I kicked it up a couple of notches to the 20db level, and the bass all of a sudden opened up. 

Am I imagining things? I must admit I'm adjusting the volume by hand to level the volumes when comparing different gain levels. But the difference definitely seems there (and that's why I'm asking here just to confirm!). 

It's not like the bass got an immediate bump, as if I was EQing them, but, the bass just seems little more forward, and seems like a more "there". Does anyone share similar experiences? Observations? 

Maybe it is the distortion in the bass region fooling your ears?
post #3964 of 4882

It may be! 

post #3965 of 4882

Isn't the 650 pretty power hungry?  Maybe it wasn't getting enough til you upped the gain..

post #3966 of 4882
I just went downstairs and dremeled off the very end..it does look much better now thanks for the idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxamed View Post

I cut 1 mm off the potentiometer shaft and installed the knob anew. Now there is no gap whatsoever and the amp looks much nicer.

post #3967 of 4882
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybaffy View Post

Oh my... I always thought the idea that a headphone's sound would change by adjusting the gain on the amp was balony, but... just now I was feeling a little dissatisfied with my HD-650's bass output, and when I realized the gain was at the 10db level, I kicked it up a couple of notches to the 20db level, and the bass all of a sudden opened up. 

 

Am I imagining things? I must admit I'm adjusting the volume by hand to level the volumes when comparing different gain levels. But the difference definitely seems there (and that's why I'm asking here just to confirm!). 

 

It's not like the bass got an immediate bump, as if I was EQing them, but, the bass just seems little more forward, and seems like a more "there". Does anyone share similar experiences? Observations? 

 

Well..................I actually don't like the sound of the 20 dB setting. But I'm OK with 18, 10 and 0 dB settings. If I adjust for volume, I really can't hear the difference between 18, 10 and 0 dB. But something about 20 dB of gain in the M Stage doesn't sound right to me.

BTW, changing the gain from 0 to 10 to 20 dB doesn't increase the maximum output power available from the M Stage. I only use 18 dB with my 600 Ohm headphones because I run out of volume control travel on the 10 dB setting with quiet recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

Got my knob in today...

 

I won't even touch this one!

post #3968 of 4882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

Well..................I actually don't like the sound of the 20 dB setting. But I'm OK with 18, 10 and 0 dB settings.

 

I agree. For me, personally, I prefer 18dB for my Q701 and have kept it there since day one.

post #3969 of 4882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

I won't even touch this one!

 

What about this one? tongue.gif

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

I just went downstairs and dremeled off the very end...
post #3970 of 4882
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxamed View Post

shaft and install the knob anew. Now there is no gap whatsoever 

popcorn.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

I won't even touch this one!

At least not with surgical gloves on :D

post #3971 of 4882
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post
 

 

Ouch!

post #3972 of 4882

Finally got my OPA2227P in, now to let it run for a bit...then no more mods..I got a spare opa2227p and volume pot..anyone interested?

post #3973 of 4882
I would be interested in the volume pot. I don't really know much about the opamp however.
post #3974 of 4882
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

Finally got my OPA2227P in, now to let it run for a bit...then no more mods..I got a spare opa2227p and volume pot..anyone interested?

 

I think you mean a spare volume knob?

post #3975 of 4882
Yep
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.