Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. - Page 242

post #3616 of 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxamed View Post


Thanks. It sounds interesting. I suppose you mean soldering a capacitor between pins 4 and 7? Wouldn't it be practically easier to make this bypass somwhere in the rectifier part of the amplifier?

I have never heard any benefits either when it comes to electronic parts, not more than an hour or so.

Oh no, datasheets always say to place ceramic capacitors directly onto the power pins if possible. 4 & 7 for singles, 4 & 8 for duals like OPA1652 and LM4562. If the cap is too far away, it becomes pointless. We're talking millimeters here, aluminum electrolytics (the big cylinders) and film caps (tantalums, polyesters, & metallized polypropylene) are the ones that can be placed a greater distance away.
post #3617 of 4888

Matrix's official website got a sexy redesign.

 

http://www.matrix-digi.com/

post #3618 of 4888

Heads up,

 

I want to trade my 2012 Matrix M-stage with built-in USB DAC for a regular model without the DAC.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/648798/wtt-my-matrix-m-stage-usb-for-your-m-stage-non-usb

post #3619 of 4888

Hey, so far I like the amp a lot but one thing is bothering me..

 

I experience a buzzing (which grows in volume) when turning the knob of the M-stage to 9 o'clock and further. When I pull out the cables in the output, which go to my stereo, I don't get any buzz at all though!

When i choose another gain setting the buzz is amplified as well, so that's no solution.

How can i fix that? The cable I use should be shielded pretty good - it's not one of the very cheap ones... Or is it a fault in the M-stage?
Because then I'll return the amp to the ebay seller i got it from.. :(

What gain setting would you recommend for driving the q701 by the way?
 

Another thing that's rather weird: the channels are swapped when I plug in everything correctly, I had to swap red and white at the input.

 

Thanks for any answer. Cheers!

Ben
 

post #3620 of 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensen View Post

Hey, so far I like the amp a lot but one thing is bothering me..

 

I experience a buzzing (which grows in volume) when turning the knob of the M-stage to 9 o'clock and further. When I pull out the cables in the output, which go to my stereo, I don't get any buzz at all though!

When i choose another gain setting the buzz is amplified as well, so that's no solution.

How can i fix that? The cable I use should be shielded pretty good - it's not one of the very cheap ones... Or is it a fault in the M-stage?
Because then I'll return the amp to the ebay seller i got it from.. :(

What gain setting would you recommend for driving the q701 by the way?
 

Another thing that's rather weird: the channels are swapped when I plug in everything correctly, I had to swap red and white at the input.

 

Thanks for any answer. Cheers!

Ben
 

Tighten up the middle screw on the bottom of the amp, I have no clue why, but that took the buzz away on mine.

post #3621 of 4888

Thanks for the answer but that didn't work (would have been funny though)...

 

I should maybe add that it's an OPA627 Class A modded version of the amp.

 

Any other suggestions? :)

post #3622 of 4888

It's whatever equipment that you are hooking up to the M-Stage if disconnecting it from the amp makes it go away.

post #3623 of 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

It's whatever equipment that you are hooking up to the M-Stage if disconnecting it from the amp makes it go away.


I agree.

post #3624 of 4888

I would agree with the others on that buzz issue - most likely an effect of ground loop.

post #3625 of 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensen View Post

Hey, so far I like the amp a lot but one thing is bothering me..

 

I experience a buzzing (which grows in volume) when turning the knob of the M-stage to 9 o'clock and further. When I pull out the cables in the output, which go to my stereo, I don't get any buzz at all though!

When i choose another gain setting the buzz is amplified as well, so that's no solution.

How can i fix that? The cable I use should be shielded pretty good - it's not one of the very cheap ones... Or is it a fault in the M-stage?
Because then I'll return the amp to the ebay seller i got it from.. :(

What gain setting would you recommend for driving the q701 by the way?
 

Another thing that's rather weird: the channels are swapped when I plug in everything correctly, I had to swap red and white at the input.

 

Thanks for any answer. Cheers!

Ben
 

I had this buzz sometimes also..a little tap on the top solved it..am not kidding here! Until now i really dont understand that..i woud be listening to my music and then a very very light humm/buzz.. One small tap..and away it went.. I have a feeling its about earthing or something..me touching it balanced the grounding of the amp..or something..but still until today i found t weird! confused_face_2.gif Good luck with urs

post #3626 of 4888

How is this amp paired with a DT880? I will be picking the beyer soon and will need to pick an amp asap.

 

This is what its gonna be Titanium HD > M-Stage > Beyer

Will be good enough?

post #3627 of 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

I had this buzz sometimes also..a little tap on the top solved it..am not kidding here! Until now i really dont understand that..i woud be listening to my music and then a very very light humm/buzz.. One small tap..and away it went.. I have a feeling its about earthing or something..me touching it balanced the grounding of the amp..or something..but still until today i found t weird! confused_face_2.gif Good luck with urs

Exactly what mine does! I then tightened the bottom screw and it went away permanently.

post #3628 of 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1llest View Post

How is this amp paired with a DT880? I will be picking the beyer soon and will need to pick an amp asap.

 

This is what its gonna be Titanium HD > M-Stage > Beyer

Will be good enough?

Should sound very good, the warmness of the M-stage will compliment the Dt880s.

post #3629 of 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1llest View Post

How is this amp paired with a DT880? I will be picking the beyer soon and will need to pick an amp asap.

 

This is what its gonna be Titanium HD > M-Stage > Beyer

Will be good enough?


I think it's a good pairing if you had wanted a warmer presentation since the beyers are a little bright to begin with. Even better is to roll with Class A op-amp modding with LM4562 and OPA627. But if you want a neutral representation, then O2 is a better alternative. IMO the M-Stage will drive the beyers very well - but taste and personal preference has a major role in the discussion of amp/HP pairing.

post #3630 of 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1llest View Post

How is this amp paired with a DT880? I will be picking the beyer soon and will need to pick an amp asap.

 

This is what its gonna be Titanium HD > M-Stage > Beyer

Will be good enough?


Great choice, the HD and the M-Stage are both warm sounding equipment which neutralizes the DT880's a fair bit.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.