Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. - Page 224

post #3346 of 4904

Hi guys, I'm thinking about picking up a m-stage for my k701s and HRT MSII, but I'm not sure what variation to get.  I'm the kind of person who prefers less choices so all these options are throwing me off.  Is the general consensus that the v1 and v2 are basically the same in terms of sq?  Then with the v2, Tam Audio offers the standard OPA2134 version or for $30 more then class a biased mod OPA627 already installed.  Is there any agreement about which is optimal with k701s?  Or is it more a matter of taste?

 

I currently have a Shanling PH100, its really dynamic and punchy, but I'm looking for more resolution, a tighter bottom end and maybe slightly more mid range warmth.  I have tried to read most of this thread but it is loooong and I know peoples opinions change over time.


Edited by nickwin - 11/28/12 at 10:23am
post #3347 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by George_63 View Post

Always buy from trusted-awarded sellers so that even if the products are not genuine,returns or refunds are 100% guaranteed.The truth is that PayPal never let me down in this matter and I got all my money back whenever I opened a case.It takes sometime but compensation is guaranteed.Chris is right in suggesting other sellers like Newark since e-bay has generally higher prices in opamps.The British e-bay for example sells OPA2227 for 12-19 pounds or $18-30 which is too expensive IMO.
Check this: http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp;jsessionid=FK5LTJV53RWZ4CXDUZ1G2WQ?N=422&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=opa2227p&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&exposeLevel2Refinement=true&suggestions=false&ref=globalsearch&_requestid=367141
For a review of OPA2227 aboard the Cmoy read the opamp rolling section of this article: http://www.headfonia.com/60-pack-of-awesome-jdslabs-cmoy/

 

 

I already know the qualities of the OPA2227, as I have in my JDSLabs c241 amp! I wanted to buy it to try in my Matrix Cube too. I know the best place to buy opamps is on the big online retail sellers, but I've encountered one of two problems (or even both) trying to go that way: some only sell opamps in large quantites (i.e. min 50 pieces) or some charge extra expensive shipping cost for something like opamps (I've seen places where 2 opamp units sell for $5 but then I had to pay more $15 just for regular shipping). Anyone knows a safe place online to buy original opamps, in Europe or that ships to Europe at normal/acceptable shipping prices?

post #3348 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by putente View Post


I already know the qualities of the OPA2227, as I have in my JDSLabs c241 amp! I wanted to buy it to try in my Matrix Cube too. I know the best place to buy opamps is on the big online retail sellers, but I've encountered one of two problems (or even both) trying to go that way: some only sell opamps in large quantites (i.e. min 50 pieces) or some charge extra expensive shipping cost for something like opamps (I've seen places where 2 opamp units sell for $5 but then I had to pay more $15 just for regular shipping). Anyone knows a safe place online to buy original opamps, in Europe or that ships to Europe at normal/acceptable shipping prices?

http://avnetexpress.avnet.com/store/em/EMController?hbxSType=New+Search&term=opa2227p&catalogId=500201&action=products&N=0&filterButton=true&langId=-1&currency=USD&displayCurrency=EUR&y=8&x=25&updateTransactionCurrency=false&storeId=500201

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?sra=oss&searchTerm=opa2227p&x=16&y=18

http://chemicaloliver.net/arduino/where-to-buy-electronic-components-in-the-uk/
Edited by George_63 - 11/28/12 at 2:29pm
post #3349 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwin View Post

Hi guys, I'm thinking about picking up a m-stage for my k701s and HRT MSII, but I'm not sure what variation to get.  I'm the kind of person who prefers less choices so all these options are throwing me off.  Is the general consensus that the v1 and v2 are basically the same in terms of sq?  Then with the v2, Tam Audio offers the standard OPA2134 version or for $30 more then class a biased mod OPA627 already installed.  Is there any agreement about which is optimal with k701s?  Or is it more a matter of taste?

 

I currently have a Shanling PH100, its really dynamic and punchy, but I'm looking for more resolution, a tighter bottom end and maybe slightly more mid range warmth.  I have tried to read most of this thread but it is loooong and I know peoples opinions change over time.

 

I've never heard a Shanling PH100, but from what I know of the Shanling, I have very serious doubts that the Matrix M Stage will actually be any better than the PH100.

Generally a solid state amp like the Matrix will not sound warmer than a tube hybrid amp like the Shanling.

I may be a bit biased as I really like my Shanling CD1000.biggrin.gif

post #3350 of 4904
Originally posted by hifimanrookie

The one one I trust and dealt with concerning opamps627 is tamaudio..fast and reliable..on ebay there are some people who sell fake 627..soubdquality is terrible...so if u wanna play safe..use reputable sellers..and tamaudio is also the core seller or matrix mstage...[/quote]


I agree about Tamaudio's reliability but IMO the overall cost is unacceptable in many ways.Take for instance the Burr Brown OPA627AU with Class A Biasing Mod on a brown dog adapter which I intended to get the other day.Cost without shipping is 15.4 Euros.For this tiny 2g of weight piece of s... the shipping cost is 11.5 Euros!!!!Ok, maybe it comes with a tracking number or is expedited but I think I should have been given the right to choose since I'm paying.But that's not just it.Other sellers offer free shipping for buyings beyond certain amounts.I wouldn't expect them to do so but applying a PENALTY of 3.9 Euros if the order costs less than 19.5 Euros,thus raising the overall cost to 30 Euros is unacceptable. For me,that 's crossing my thin red line between selling services and exploitation.I have bought their matrix and their way of rewarding the proud owner is selling a minor modification for 1/8th of the amp's cost by adding penalties! No thanks....OPA2227 is great, same family as the 627, I'll do the biasing myself,and skip their reliable offer of one day's pay in my country.

PS:Sorry for the colored text but there was a problem with quotation editing
Edited by George_63 - 11/29/12 at 12:20am
post #3351 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by George_63 View Post

Originally posted by hifimanrookie
The one one I trust and dealt with concerning opamps627 is tamaudio..fast and reliable..on ebay there are some people who sell fake 627..soubdquality is terrible...so if u wanna play safe..use reputable sellers..and tamaudio is also the core seller or matrix mstage...

I agree about Tamaudio's reliability but IMO the overall cost is unacceptable in many ways.Take for instance the Burr Brown OPA627AU with Class A Biasing Mod on a brown dog adapter which I intended to get the other day.Cost without shipping is 15.4 Euros.For this tiny 2g of weight piece of s... the shipping cost is 11.5 Euros!!!!Ok, maybe it comes with a tracking number or is expedited but I think I should have been given the right to choose since I'm paying.But that's not just it.Other sellers offer free shipping for buyings beyond certain amounts.I wouldn't expect them to do so but applying a PENALTY of 3.9 Euros if the order costs less than 19.5 Euros,thus raising the overall cost to 30 Euros is unacceptable. For me,that 's crossing my thin red line between selling services and exploitation.I have bought their matrix and their way of rewarding the proud owner is selling a minor modification for 1/8th of the amp's cost.No thanks....OPA2227 is great, same family as the 627, I'll do the biasing myself,and skip their reliable offer of one day's pay in my country.
PS:Sorry for the colored text but there was a problem with quatation editing[/quote]

Thats ok..that color is actually very happy looking biggrin.gif

From what i can remember the costs for sending to amsterdam was very low when i bought one..it was also without track and trace if i correctly remember..so they use a different way of sending now to improve reability?..but much more expensive..at the time it was a no brainer to me..but how u explain it..i can imagine it can make u wonder...dont know why it is so expensive to sent it to ur country..but what i do know..their stuff is good quality..the opa played in my mstage without any problems for more then a year. But why didnt u buy the already modded version of the mstage..i think i saw on their page that they sell it already opa627 equiped for a small etra fee..that would make the extra fee for transport zero..good luck with opamping...
post #3352 of 4904

Hey, thanks for the reply Chris.  I'm really just asking about the versions of the M-stage is best, not whether the M-stage will necessarily be better than the PH100 or not or not (although if someone has compared them that would be great to know too!).  The PH100 is actually solid state it uses pretty nice components, but the one post I saw on this site years ago directly comparing the two said that the M-stage had more detail with k701s.   The M-stage k701 combo just has so much positive feedback I'm willing to compare myself...  I will say that the PH100 does sound good to my ears, better than anything I have tried yet.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHANLING-PH100-HEADPHONE-AMPLIFIER-PH-100-HEAD-AMP-/220554411981
 


Edited by nickwin - 11/29/12 at 6:33am
post #3353 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

I've never heard a Shanling PH100, but from what I know of the Shanling, I have very serious doubts that the Matrix M Stage will actually be any better than the PH100.
Generally a solid state amp like the Matrix will not sound warmer than a tube hybrid amp like the Shanling.
I may be a bit biased as I really like my Shanling CD1000.biggrin.gif
I agree with that..the sound of a tube amp is much warmer..but some people prefer the sound of a solid state...so its more a personal taste...and for the money a mstage is a bargain..i had one driving a he500 on gain 10 db..and compared it to a very good tube amp ...the darkvoice 3322 with my he500..and the mstage blew him out of the water!..but the 337 was better then again his bigger brother annihilated my poor mstage...but it also its almost 3 times the price ( with other tubes in)..as i said..u always will have tubey lovers and ss lovers..its all about the headphones u wanna use them with..
post #3354 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

I agree with that..the sound of a tube amp is much warmer..but some people prefer the sound of a solid state...so its more a personal taste...and for the money a mstage is a bargain..i had one driving a he500 on gain 10 db..and compared it to a very good tube amp ...the darkvoice 3322 with my he500..and the mstage blew him out of the water!..but the 337 was better then again his bigger brother annihilated my poor mstage...but it also its almost 3 times the price ( with other tubes in)..as i said..u always will have tubey lovers and ss lovers..its all about the headphones u wanna use them with..

As I say both amps in question are actually solid state... I'm just trying to figure out which version of the m-stage is the best match for k701s, the standard op amp or the class a modded 627.

I'm also curious if anyone has compared the v1 and v2. Do they sound exactly the same?
post #3355 of 4904
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwin View Post

As I say both amps in question are actually solid state... I'm just trying to figure out which version of the m-stage is the best match for k701s, the standard op amp or the class a modded 627.
I'm also curious if anyone has compared the v1 and v2. Do they sound exactly the same?


Sorry..my apologies..about Version with opa 627 warmer sound lower bass..alltogether a bit better soundquality..but its in the details..not a day and night difference..
Difference between v1 and v2.. I contacted mr. Tamaudio bout this as i wanted to upgrade..they said..v2 soundwise is almost the same as v1..people on forums say the v1 is a bit warmer then the v2.. But i dont know that from own experience..i had the v1 with opa627 class a biassed mod..
post #3356 of 4904

So my search has finally come to an end, I think.

 

I've been searching high and low for a hp amp, that will serve as a pre amp, while not utilizing USB input.

 

however, I'm wondering if there's room for an external DAC with this amp. I plan on having the M-Stage fed via RCA from my Traktor Kontrol S4 (specs: http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-kontrol-s4/?page=1808), then to my monitors. Is there room to add a DAC? or does my Kontrol S4 do that job? And if I were to add a DAC to this set up, would it be overkill, or just impracticle?

post #3357 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofbyte View Post

Hello everyone! :)

 

So six days ago i became a happy owner of a Matrix M-stage, bought it from TamAudio.

 

When i turn it on today and plug my headphones in i get a loud hum in both channels, it was fine last night.

I remember reading in this forum that the bottom screw might need some tighteing so i undid it a few times and tightened it back but the problem still remains.

 

So i opened it up to see if i could locate the problem, and the thing that i find disturbing is that the righthand capacitor is bulging.. A quick google later and im quite certain the capacitor is my problem.

 

 

http://i50.tinypic.com/wvr8qp.jpg

 

what do u think?

 

That cap was installed backwards.

Great thing that you did not catch this any later.

post #3358 of 4904

So... how should I set my gain settings on the M-Stage for my Sennheiser HD-650? I initially had them set at 0db, but I noticed a little bit of background noise, so I dropped them down to the quietest setting, at 20db.

 

Also, why is the quieter setting 20db, while the louder setting at 0db?

 

What is the appropriate gain setting for my HD-650, which is a 300 ohm impedance amp? (While the M-Stage, from what I remember, has an output for around 300 ohm).

 

Finally, during the short time that I've set the gain at 0db, where there was a bit of noise, I think I might have noticed a bit of distortion in some songs. But I have no idea if it was because of the headphones themselves or just the recording/sources being bad. How do I know if I've damaged the headphone while I've had it at this setting?


Edited by fuzzybaffy - 12/2/12 at 2:29am
post #3359 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybaffy View Post

So... how should I set my gain settings on the M-Stage for my Sennheiser HD-650? I initially had them set at 0db, but I noticed a little bit of background noise, so I dropped them down to the quietest setting, at 20db.

 

Also, why is the quieter setting 20db, while the louder setting at 0db?

 

You probably have the switches reversed, which is what most people do as the diagram colors are confusing.  You want to set it so that white part of the switch matches the white part of the diagram.

 

So 20dB is both switches up, and 0dB is both switches down.

 

10dB is what I use.

post #3360 of 4904

Oooooh I see. LOL! Thanks for letting me know.

 

Any possibility that I might've damaged the headphones while I had it at the highest settings? I do remember hearing some noise without hearing any music turned on, and possibly some distortion. But I have no idea if that was because of the headphone or because of the recording/source...


Edited by fuzzybaffy - 12/2/12 at 4:27am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.