Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Modding the Kanen km-880 woodie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Modding the Kanen km-880 woodie

post #1 of 101
Thread Starter 
the ultra cheap kanen woodie has gathered some interest. i got one, and of course found its sound lacking. the bass was nice, but muddy, highs way too recessed. still nice for 18$.
some quick disassembly showed the 40mm drivers glued into a barrel housing. a little work with a tiny screwdriver and they were out. in went 40mm jvc drivers from an ha-x570. (ha-g101 would work as well) bonus! they both are dual entry and so the cables stayed with them- no soldering needed! a 10 minute mod

sound improved much- cleaner highs, bass as strong and now clear and textured. bigger soundstage
LL
LL
LL
LL

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 101
I was interested in getting one of these for an SFI transplant (40mm is perfect). Glad to see the results! Try dampening the driver magnet and cup.
post #3 of 101
Thread Starter 
might try that. my 1st woodie. are u supposed to dampen wood? or is the resonance of wood the attraction?
post #4 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfpshero View Post
the ultra cheap kanen woodie has gathered some interest. i got one, and of course found its sound lacking. the bass was nice, but muddy, highs way too recessed. still nice for 18$.
some quick disassembly showed the 40mm drivers glued into a barrel housing. a little work with a tiny screwdriver and they were out. in went 40mm jvc drivers from an ha-x570. (ha-g101 would work as well) bonus! they both are dual entry and so the cables stayed with them- no soldering needed! a 10 minute mod

sound improved much- cleaner highs, bass as strong and now clear and textured. bigger soundstage
Really cool transformation! So as long as we have a 40mm driver w/ dual entry cables, we can do this solderless transplant? Did u need to glue the new driver into place? How did you remove the metal ring that secures the pads to housing?

You now have a woodied JVC ha-x570. Is it an improvement over the JVC?

Thanks for doing this -- and for the pix!
post #5 of 101
Thread Starter 
the new driver fits right in. there was enough glue residue to hold it, and its a snug fit anyway. the pads hold onto a white plastic ring with 3 rods that push in to the chrome plastic housing. a small screwdriver under the pad, a small pry, they come out.

and yes, its an improvement over both headphones!
post #6 of 101
now you need to mod the headband, because it's really not comfy...and then the ear pads

nice work, though! I was hoping it'd be circumaural tbh..
post #7 of 101
cool stuff. Still gotta put my order in.
post #8 of 101
how big are the yh1 drivers?

also, do the cups swivel? I've noticed that a lot of super cheap headsets don't have swiveling cups, and that's bound to hurt
post #9 of 101
Thread Starter 
the earcups do not swivel. there is a bit of bendability tho
post #10 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfpshero View Post
the new driver fits right in. there was enough glue residue to hold it, and its a snug fit anyway. the pads hold onto a white plastic ring with 3 rods that push in to the chrome plastic housing. a small screwdriver under the pad, a small pry, they come out.

and yes, its an improvement over both headphones!
Thanks! This looks like something I could do. I think. I'll be looking for a used JVC HA-X570 or HA-G101.
post #11 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by feifan View Post
Thanks! This looks like something I could do. I think. I'll be looking for a used JVC HA-X570 or HA-G101.
if u find them the same price- get the hag101. it has great earpads that can be used on other headphones
post #12 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seidhepriest View Post
How hard do you think it is transplanting the cups (just the cups) to some other headphones? Like Panasonic RP-HTX7?
next to impossible unless the cups were identical in size
post #13 of 101
How about the KM-880 parts swapped or somehow made more comfortable (other pads, etc.?). How are the wooden cups attached, glue?
post #14 of 101
How hard do you think it is transplanting the cups (just the cups) to some other headphones? Like Panasonic RP-HTX7?
post #15 of 101
Thread Starter 
the wood cups are held in with screws- see pic 3 with one off.

the biggest comfort issue is the plastic headband. a nice cushion for that would work wonders on the comfort
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Modding the Kanen km-880 woodie