Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations - Page 9

post #121 of 3081
I bet the Arrow would be a great match with DAP's with no sound tweaking capabilities, which supposedly are very clean sounding, like Zunes. If I'd been able to have this amp long ago, I'd have surely experimented with far more DAP's.
post #122 of 3081
That bass booster should shoot some serious lows to my ER4P. My HE is still in order processing status.
post #123 of 3081
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn11 View Post
I bet the Arrow would be a great match with DAP's with no sound tweaking capabilities, which supposedly are very clean sounding, like Zunes. If I'd been able to have this amp long ago, I'd have surely experimented with far more DAP's.
That's exactly what I'm using it for, paired with my Cowon O2. While the O2 is the most botched and ass-backwards Cowon ever made, firmware-wise, it's somewhat "better" sounding than the rest (TI instead of Wolfson inside) and has very good video capabilities. It has none of Cowon's usual BBE sound enhancements in video mode - that's where the Arrow comes in more than handy.
post #124 of 3081
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
That's exactly what I'm using it for, paired with my Cowon O2. While the O2 is the most botched and ass-backwards Cowon ever made, firmware-wise, it's somewhat "better" sounding than the rest (TI instead of Wolfson inside) and has very good video capabilities. It has none of Cowon's usual BBE sound enhancements in video mode - that's where the Arrow comes in more than handy.
Man, that's excellent to hear. The flexibility it offers other non-adjustable DAP's is one of its strongest aspects IMO. And with its gain selections, it is driving my recabled Ultrasone 780's spectacularly.
post #125 of 3081
The higher the gain setting, the more rolled off the bass, it seems. Didn't really hear a difference with my own ears, though. Maybe I need to listen more closely. But then again, I don't intend to use the highest gain level - and it gives people with less desire for bass something to play around with.

post #126 of 3081
Yeah, I can't hear it either. Since I only can use my Sony with headphone out right now, I need gain III for my Ultrasones. But once I get the ALO line out, I'm hoping that it'll supply a louder cleaner signal and I can back it down to II even for the Ultrasones.

Sure sounds great though to my ears even on III.....the Ultrasones have never had such treble sparkle, and mid presence (when running straight out of the Sony X, the mids are noticeably more sucked back).
post #127 of 3081
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The higher the gain setting, the more rolled off the bass, it seems. Didn't really hear a difference with my own ears, though. Maybe I need to listen more closely. But then again, I don't intend to use the highest gain level - and it gives people with less desire for bass something to play around with.

I like your frequency graphs for different settings. I didn't know why, but even when using the 650s I tend to use the second gain setting with volume a little higher. I think the first batch of Arrows had a slightly lower db Bass boost on the highest setting (9db as opposed to 12).
Do you mind me asking what frequency response analyzer this is?
post #128 of 3081
I used RMAA for those graphs. I also use ARTA to double-check, and because it's real-time.
post #129 of 3081
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I used RMAA for those graphs. I also use ARTA to double-check, and because it's real-time.
Thanks very much...and freeware to boot !


Just thought I'd mention this; Robert might not believe his amp benefits from burn in, but I'm either hearing things or this amp has gotten better with some time. Bass response seems noticeably tighter/deeper. I'm always reluctant to make statements like this because of our susceptibility to placebo effect. I suppose becoming accustomed to an amp's particular sound can also account for at least some of the perceived improvement .
post #130 of 3081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback View Post
Thanks very much...and freeware to boot !


Just thought I'd mention this; Robert might not believe his amp benefits from burn in, but I'm either hearing things or this amp has gotten better with some time. Bass response seems noticeably tighter/deeper. I'm always reluctant to make statements like this because of our susceptibility to placebo effect. I suppose becoming accustomed to an amp's particular sound can also account for at least some of the perceived improvement .


I 100% think this amp (as all others I have heard as well as op amps when rolling) benefit from burn in! One other thing that has really grown for me is the soundstage. And even with the bass boost off (I had to check), the Arrow makes some of my lower end IEMs just crank out the bass, too much bass!
post #131 of 3081
I've dumped a boatload of RMAA tests of the Arrow on my server, feel free trying to make any sense of it.

Scroll past the folders, down to the HTML files: Index of ./Various/
post #132 of 3081
does that mean fiio e5 is better or what?!
post #133 of 3081
Quote:
One other thing that has really grown for me is the soundstage
x2
post #134 of 3081
Yeah, I'm a sucker for soundstage as well, and the Arrow opened my IE8/O2 combo up like I haven't heard it before.

Before I used an iBasso T4 between the O2 and IE8, and while it didn't make the sound worse, it didn't improve anything over the headphone out of the O2 - I just used it as a bass booster. Now, unfortunately, my worst player which I just use for watching videos in bed is unfortunately my best sounding rig, and I found myself shlepping that POS out on the streets, thanks to the Arrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prone2phone View Post
does that mean fiio e5 is better or what?!
Like, totally!
post #135 of 3081
How do you use an O2 on the Arrow? I have an electrostatic amp for mine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations