Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Messenger Bag.... Fi!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Messenger Bag.... Fi! - Page 17

post #241 of 260

Just received the BBP Industries Messenger a couple of weeks ago. My 15.6" Acer fits perfectly (easy to pull out, doesn't wiggle when strap is closed) in the 17" sleeve, for everyone who doesn't use a Mac. Seems tough enough to survive commuting through crowded downtown areas; ran a few suburban blocks when I got it just to test it, and when the strap is properly set it won't bounce around, plus the angle of the strap and the padding on the back adds a bit more comfort. If anything is wrong with the design, the silent velcro on the main flap really is silent when I open it in, say, the library, but the velcro on the laptop sleeve is far from silent. Which means that if you whip out your laptop, or leave the main bag and use just the sleeve if you have a meeting in the same floor/building (their example, see the blurb), you'll still make that annoying sound if you come in late. Price considered though I don't really mind, jsut something to put out there in case other people see that and consider it an extremely important feature.

 

534069_4106871828650_1809144232_n.jpg

post #242 of 260

As posted before in this thread, I have a TAD Gear Dispatch bag:

 

 

700

Which is 17x12x4 inches (43.2x30.5x10.2cm) big. A great size for my daily commute, as it holds my 15.4" work laptop, a bunch of tools, some paperwork, my lunch and whatever other stuff I decide to lug into the office. 

 

 

I also have a Fjallraven Vintage Shoulderbag:

 

700

Which is 13x11x4.3inches (33x28x11cm) big. I used this to lug my stuff around in my free time, it usually contained my MSI Wind U100 netbook (in a sleeve), laptop PSU, mouse, my Canon Powershot G10, a small first aid kit, a can of deodorant and the flavour of the day in portable audio. (and occasionally clean socks, shirt & underwear, if staying overnight somewhere)

 

But my netbook died and was replaced with a Samsung Series 9 13.3", While the ultrabook is a LOT thinner, it is a bit bigger in the other directions. Especially when in its Case Logic Welded sleeve ( http://www.caselogic.com/en-US/US/Products/Laptop-Cases/MacBook-Cases/SSMA_-_313_-_BLACK_-__-_13MacBookAirWeldedSleeve ). It still fits the Fjallraven bag, but just barely and as the sides are pushed out a little, there's very little space for anything other than my laptop + PSU & mouse. But the TAD bag is way too big, not to mention that I don't want to be swapping contents all the time. I know myself a little, and I will probably end up missing business-critical items in less than a week time when I need to juggle the work and private stuff around all the time.

 

So, I'm looking for a replacement. A small-ish messenger bag with either a weatherproof padded 13.3" laptop compartment, or a non-weatherproof non-padded 14" laptop compartment (so it will fit my ultrabook + the caselogic sleeve). And enough space left fo the other stuff. I prefer function & durability over form, and like dark colours best. Oh and preferably something that doesn't scream 'Hey look at this bag! it's guaranteed to contain a high end laptop so please mug me!'.

 

 

I keep coming back to the small Timbuk2 laptop Messenger, but they're a bit more than I'd like to spend on a bag right now. So I'd like to see what else there is out there. 

Any suggestions?

post #243 of 260

I don't own a bag myself as of yet, but getting ready to order this shoulder bag from Incase in the coming weeks. 

destroysall.

post #244 of 260

I'm about to order this one

 

 

Rothco Pathfinder

post #245 of 260
After a few years of bike commuting with Messenger bags I switched to waterproof backpacks instead. The Messenger bags were killing my shoulder and compressed my sternum when heavily loaded.

I use Orlieb bags and I see more and more couriers switching to backpacks as well.
post #246 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete View Post

After a few years of bike commuting with Messenger bags I switched to waterproof backpacks instead. The Messenger bags were killing my shoulder and compressed my sternum when heavily loaded.

I use Orlieb bags and I see more and more couriers switching to backpacks as well.

 

 

 

I decided to forego the messenger bag route and got a Mission Workshop pack. Still haven't used it yet, but appreciate details like the rear light mount placement, designed  for a stretched out roadbike position.

 

 

 

 

 

1000

post #247 of 260

I have a Mission Workshop Arkiv pack but I've not really used it as of late. Looks a bit busy with all the bits, and without looks a bit weird... It seemed like a good idea at the time.

 

 

 

Large loads cause me back issues as well with messengers, but for immediate stashability and general utility as long as I'm not carrying any boat anchors around, I still prefer messengers - like the Acronym 3A-5TS.

 

 

 

 

Mind you, after decking it out a bit in a similarly modular fashion to the Arkiv, I ended up ~€1200 lighter...

post #248 of 260

Good lord, what does Acronym make their stuff out of? Gold? That is something pricey items they've got for sale there.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangraman View Post

Large loads cause me back issues as well with messengers, but for immediate stashability and general utility as long as I'm not carrying any boat anchors around, I still prefer messengers - like the Acronym 3A-5TS.

 

 

 

 

Mind you, after decking it out a bit in a similarly modular fashion to the Arkiv, I ended up ~€1200 lighter...

post #249 of 260

Eh, the usual... clever/cool design + limited numbers = more money. I have to admit to having quite a lot of their collections as I like what they do.

 

 

Whether I can actually pull off wearing it and looking like that is another matter entirely. Less ninja, more tactical potato.
 


Edited by bangraman - 1/4/13 at 11:54am
post #250 of 260
I went ahead and bought a MW Rummy. It's in shipping but the anticipation is killing me!
post #251 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post


In terms of size and compartment configuration, the VX Rummy is exactly the same as the normal Rummy (so I imagine the same would go for the Monty counterparts).

 

The outer fabric is different, the VX having a slight diamond pattern/texture on the surface--it looks very nice, and you can see it in this photo.

 

The inside of the VX fabric also has a more cloth-like hand--with more give, and so a little more flowing than the stiffer, more tarp-like inside surface of the standard bag's fabric.

 

The Arkiv closure is very nice, but I've got to practice more with it for faster one-hand opening and closing.  Probably the most key advantage of the Arkiv closure (in my opinion) is that it essentially reduces the excess lengths of buckle straps, as the VX's straps are stretchy--I also find any excess of the VX's elastic straps easier to manage.

 

The VX looks nicer, too, in my opinion.

 

I've been debating going with the normal or the VX for a while and I think this old post convinced me to go the VX route. Glad I stumbled upon this thread while searching for impressions about the Arkiv system.

 

Jude, do you use the MW bag to haul your camera equipment? I'm looking for a way to transport my old Nikon DSLR along with my Macbook Pro and accessories in the bag.

post #252 of 260
whoa that post was a year ago whoaaaa

i like my rummy a lot. my only complaint is really that it looked really silver in the pictures but in reality it's a dull gray. poop. i'll be heading to cali this summer so i guess i'll be able to check out all the shops in person! whoo :3
post #253 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blisse View Post

whoa that post was a year ago whoaaaa

i like my rummy a lot. my only complaint is really that it looked really silver in the pictures but in reality it's a dull gray. poop. i'll be heading to cali this summer so i guess i'll be able to check out all the shops in person! whoo :3

 

Yeah, I'm reviving the thread. Thankfully it still contains relevant information. Jude's post that I quoted was from a couple years ago. You have the standard Rummy, correct? I've been reading that the velcro on the bag (standard and VX) is unusually loud and obnoxious when opening and that it may not actually be necessary unless you're trying to seal the bag from the weather. I wish there was a shop nearby where I can see them in person, but the closest is in Chicago. Oh well. Oh, and you're from Toronto, I'll be there in a couple weeks on a mini vacation. :D

post #254 of 260
It was just interesting to see my own post from ~362 days ago.

I bought industrial sized velcro to create a strip so it would cover the velcro in the compartment bags. They're really loud, yeah. I can't usually open them in class.

I also wish they had a laptop compartment so that I didn't have to use a sweater to pad my back when I carry that around. It's very spacious but a laptop is pointy. I don't think it would make a particularly good messenger bag for cameras unless you have another bag inside. There is literally no padding in the bag.

Yay Toronto~ biggrin.gif

I definitely wish I got the VX or the limited canvas bags. It's really good now but I really wanted to know how nice those textures would've been. I'll check for those when I'm in Cali :3
post #255 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blisse View Post

It was just interesting to see my own post from ~362 days ago.

I bought industrial sized velcro to create a strip so it would cover the velcro in the compartment bags. They're really loud, yeah. I can't usually open them in class.

I also wish they had a laptop compartment so that I didn't have to use a sweater to pad my back when I carry that around. It's very spacious but a laptop is pointy. I don't think it would make a particularly good messenger bag for cameras unless you have another bag inside. There is literally no padding in the bag.

Yay Toronto~ biggrin.gif

I definitely wish I got the VX or the limited canvas bags. It's really good now but I really wanted to know how nice those textures would've been. I'll check for those when I'm in Cali :3

 

OK, so you're doing exactly what I was contemplating with the velcro. There's no issues with the bag popping open if it's clipped, right? If so, then that'll be perfect for me. As for the camera gear I'm looking into inserts to see how well they'll work. I could pad the main compartment of the bag and my 15" Macbook Pro should fit easily into the zippered compartment, just wondering how comfortable that would be to carry the gear around. Having one messenger is better than my current setup of a backpack and a camera bag separately. And I'm going with the VX since I want the Arkiv closure system and the better fabric choices. And oh if only I could pick a buckle color on the VX line.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Messenger Bag.... Fi!