Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › What do you think will be the most remembered song of the 20th Century (all genres minus classical)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you think will be the most remembered song of the 20th Century (all genres minus classical)

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
So 300 years from now what song if any, do you think will be the most remembered of the 20th Century?
post #2 of 41
NPR has a great top 100 list:
http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/vote/list100.html

But "Over The Rainbow" seems to be the most popular song of the 20th century, and the Righteous Brothers "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin" was the most played.
post #3 of 41
The cynic in me thinks the 20th century will be remembered for the explosion of human short-sightedness, short term pleasure, hubris, egoism. So I vote for Smells Like Teen Spirit.
post #4 of 41
Thread Starter 
Just read the NPR list and I gotta admit I didn't quite understand the inclusions.

They include albums like Talking Book and Tapestry but no Dark Side Of The Moon

They include songs like Peggy Sue and Born To Run but not a single Beatles song, nor any song by Michael Jackson or Elvis Presley, the three of whom are the most established music acts of the 20th century.....

It was the most awkward list I've ever seen, just my opinion.
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by eucariote View Post
The cynic in me thinks the 20th century will be remembered for the explosion of human short-sightedness, short term pleasure, hubris, egoism. So I vote for Smells Like Teen Spirit.
What a brilliant answer. You may be a cynic but you see clearly. After all, the 20th century was the century defined by Hitler. Because of this, I hope you are wrong. I don't think you are wrong, but the romantic in me hopes you are wrong. Because of this, I hope John Lennon's 1971 song,"Imagine", will be the one song remembered in the 20th century. The cynic in me thinks I am wrong...
post #6 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhunternyc View Post
What a brilliant answer. You may be a cynic but you see clearly. After all, the 20th century was the century defined by Hitler. Because of this, I hope you are wrong. I don't think you are wrong, but the romantic in me hopes you are wrong. Because of this, I hope John Lennon's 1971 song,"Imagine", will be the one song remembered in the 20th century. The cynic in me thinks I am wrong...
I was thinking Imagine very possibly.

Other contendors in my mind are:

Blowin' In The Wind
A Day In The Life (which would be my number one choice...I think it is the defining song of the century in many ways)
This Land Is Your Land
St Louis Blues
Stardust
A Change Is Gonna Come
God Only Knows
West End Blues
Goodbye Pork Pie Hat (strange choice I know, but I really think it's a contender)
Both Sides Now
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Let It Be

and that dreaded (cause it's so schmaltzy).....Over The Rainbow
post #7 of 41
Pant's on the Ground........lol JK.
post #8 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidostrunk View Post
Pant's on the Ground........lol JK.
LOL
post #9 of 41
Three hundred years from now, I fear "Billie Jean" will live on.
post #10 of 41
Imagine.
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhashenglong View Post
Three hundred years from now, I fear "Billie Jean" will live on.
Nope. Pop cannot live without the hype machine driving its popularity. In 300 years the hype machine for Michael Jackson will be long gone. I don't think the music of pop will live on in 300 years. Honestly, pop music isn't that interesting musically if there is no current pop culture to drive it. And if 300 years from now people are still living our current pop culture instead of their own then things are pretty bad in the future.
post #12 of 41
Genius transcends the ages. I hope we are remember for Davis, Dylan and Wilson.
post #13 of 41
I don't know about the 20th century, but I think the 21st will be easy to predict.
post #14 of 41
I know you excluded classical but based on past history that's what seems to survive the centuries.

Besides the most remembered song will be whatever one our robot overlords choose. Considering their robots, it might be all of them!
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post
Just read the NPR list and I gotta admit I didn't quite understand the inclusions...
The list is of "American" music, which explains a lot of the omissions you mentioned. However, there is some Elvis in there.

- Ed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › What do you think will be the most remembered song of the 20th Century (all genres minus classical)