Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › AGAINST JH/UE DRIVER WARS: A First view of EarSonics EM3-Pro Customs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AGAINST JH/UE DRIVER WARS: A First view of EarSonics EM3-Pro Customs - Page 2

post #16 of 170
GuyDebord,

Your pair of EM3-Pro fits perfectly in-a-go (without any refitting)?

How is the comfort of EM3-Pro compared to JH13? What is the length of the nozzle?
post #17 of 170
From what I understand, Earsonics sport shorter nozzles than their American counterparts. Of course, it all depends on canal length and other factors, but that is seems to be their modus operandi.
post #18 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan961 View Post
For those people who don't believe in burn-in for armatures, well, you're right, but the crossovers used DO burn in. I'm sure most of you know this, but just in case anyone doesn't.
If wires and xover parts, why nor the wire in the armatures or the mechanical bend points?
post #19 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
If wires and xover parts, why nor the wire in the armatures or the mechanical bend points?
well a crossover uses capacitors which "settle" over time producing the burn in effect. Whereas wire is more debatable, though i guess many people dont believe in the the capacitors either...oh well
post #20 of 170
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
GuyDebord,

Your pair of EM3-Pro fits perfectly in-a-go (without any refitting)?

How is the comfort of EM3-Pro compared to JH13? What is the length of the nozzle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
From what I understand, Earsonics sport shorter nozzles than their American counterparts. Of course, it all depends on canal length and other factors, but that is seems to be their modus operandi.
Yes, the EM3-Pro's fitted in the first go, and with a foam tip impression... amazing isnt it? I was surprised.

The Nozzles on the EarSonics are in fact shorter, but just a bit. The fit and comfort of both is really good, I have no preference here.
post #21 of 170
with other qualities being similar between the 2, i'll definitely go with the more musical pair. i like to enjoy music; not listening to the individual notes. will check out EM3-Pro.
post #22 of 170

Same usage of pins like JH and UE ?


War.. haha..
post #23 of 170
That's a good review.

The main impression when you came out from "american" custom is the detailled and the accuracy of the highs and mids. It is soft, sweet, detailled, a bit warm, but never sibilent, never agressive.

And that's the key point of the founder : high and mids have to be deep, precise and precise. The harmonic side is unique.
post #24 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyDebord View Post
The TWag arrived! (pre-cooked) the synergy with the EM3pro's is scary, I couldnt stop! ...Amazing what cable synergy can do....Now to wait for the pico slim....
Congrats on finding the IEM that suits your preferences, GuyDebord.

As I've been reading I've been awaiting your comments on system synergy...and I'll also await those when you have the Pico Slim

I write this on the train (as usual) under a H140 (FLAC filled)/qusp Maxxed iBasso D10/Picollino JH13Pro experience and, although I concur with the fact I enjoy that 'monitoresque' detail and tight bass, I do find that this system synergy provides (with the best recordings of course) similar impressions of rich and expansive sound quality.

Like you say, especially when cabled well, both IEMs can probably be matched with the best recordings and equipment to produce a VERY engaging musical experience.

Continue to enjoy as the EM3-Pros burn in further
post #25 of 170
Earsonics is growing within Head-Fi
post #26 of 170
Thank's for this very interesting view.

I do have EM3pro for 2 months now, and I concur it greatly improve with burn in (actualy the hifiman HM-801 I use may also improve over time too !)

The first thing that surprised me about EM3pro was the very "HiFi like" sound for a IEM mainly targeted for the professional market. "HiFi like" is somehow subjective but, I mean "warm, sweet, laid back, and still impressively detailed".

All this is a matter of taste, and I'm sure your view could help some to choose !

post #27 of 170
Hello,

Out of curiosity, given their sound signatures, which one do you think would be the most polyvalent ? That is to say, which one would handle the most number of musical genres in a convincing manner ?

In the end, do you think the EM3-pro mids are a tad warmer than the JH13 ones ?

Also, which one would be the fastest and the best at handling very complex and layered tracks without loosing on details / instrument separations / clarity ?

Finally, which one feels the most like a full-size pair of headphones, that is to say (to me), which one gives the most weight, body, to every single note being played (nothing to do with more or less bass, but rather the feeling that air is being moved around) ? Which one handles percussions the best (to me that's the ability to HEAR the tonality of each percussive instrument while feeling it at the same time, and feeling air "dissipating" around the instrument) ?

I also wanted to say that Earsonics proposes something very nice for those unwilling to spend all their savings in one move : you can buy the EM2-ifi and then later on upgrade to the EM2-pro or EM3-pro by paying exactly the price difference. Oh and add me to the list of people impressed by Frank Lopez's customer services and honesty.
post #28 of 170
That upgrade option is something I was not previously aware of, very interesting. Perhaps there is a legitimate reason to get cheap customs in that case. If only the rest of the competition did that.
post #29 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan961 View Post
That upgrade option is something I was not previously aware of, very interesting. Perhaps there is a legitimate reason to get cheap customs in that case. If only the rest of the competition did that.
The reason why it is possible is that Frank Lopez designed the "ifi" models with a hollow acrylic casing, while the "pro" ones are made of full acrylic casings. So it is rather easy for them to add all the necessary components, fill the casing with additionnal acrylic and tune the frequency response accordingly. According to Frank Lopez, the full casing has acoustic advantages over a hollow one (but I read somewhere Jerry Harvey saying that the hollow one also has advantages over the full one). In any way that could maybe explain why the EM3-pro seem to compete rather well with other customs despite their two way three drivers design.
post #30 of 170
EM3-Pro pics and early impressions

They both have their advantages; hollow tend to vibrate a wee bit more, forcing visceral musical experience on the listener while solid ones tend to damp the sound a bit more. They can be good and bad each.

The EM3Pro - is slowly outpacing my erstwhile favourite, the FitEar333. The reason is simple: because it is so flat, a small tweak to an EQ turns this iem into a different animal - that's it.

Also, I have a good feeling that the EM3Pro is easier to drive than the FitEar 333 - it seems to put out well on every portable I've used and with amps.

The JH13Pro outdoes both in that it hisses less and for out-of-box perfection, it may be 'better' in the fact that it emulates part of the human ear frequency response. The EM3Pro doesn't, so it isn't quite as bright, nor in some ways, as deep. But it responds to EQ better than any custom I've used.

EM3-Pro pics and early impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › AGAINST JH/UE DRIVER WARS: A First view of EarSonics EM3-Pro Customs